TomTom kit delayed; Apple Store robbery; Time Capsule troubles

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
TomTom has postponed the release of its iPhone hardware accessory kit until October; numerous users who bought a Time Capsule in early 2008 are reporting issues; and an Apple Store robbery is caught on tape.

TomTom iPhone kit delayed until October

TomTom spokesman Kevin Carter confirmed to AppleInsider that the company's iPhone hardware kit will not be available for its previously announced summer release deadline, though no specific reason was given. The accessory is a cradle that will interface with the iPhone and provide enhanced GPS capabilities.

"I can confirm that we have decided to take some extra weeks in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product," Carter said. "So, the car kit will become available for purchase this October on www.tomtom.com."

Additionally, the official FAQ section on TomTom's iPhone page has been updated to reflect the new release date. While the hardware is not necessary to use the software that is currently available in the iPhone App Store, it will amplify the GPS signal for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. In addition, the original iPhone and the iPod touch, both of which do not have a GPS receiver, will be able to use the hardware kit.

The TomTom kit will act as a basic suction cup mount for the dashboard or windshield, and will also support hand-sfree calling and music through the stereo system, as well as charge capabilities through the vehicle's 12-volt port.

Marlton, New Jersey Apple Store robbed

Five thieves were captured on tape as they smashed a plate glass window in front of a New Jersey Apple store and ran out with tends of thousands of dollars in merchandise.

The local ABC 6 has footage of what they called "smash and grab." The video shows the men quickly enter and grab 23 MacBook Pros, 14 iPhones and 9 iPod touches in 31 seconds. The men gestured to a guard they saw that they were carrying a handgun.

Two suspects were spotted in black sweatshirts, and a third in a red vest with a long-sleeve shirt underneath. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 856-983-1118, or the anonymous tip line at 856-988-4699.

AppleInsider photographed the store in 2007 when it was promoting the then-upcoming launch of the iPhone.

Users report Time Capsule troubles

Numerous users in various threads on the Apple Support forums have voiced complaints about Time Capsules allegedly dying in a spontaneous manner. Many of those posting reportedly purchased the hardware in early 2008.

Various reports from users suggest the problem could lie with the device's internal power supply, which cannot be replaced. The complaints first began to crop up in July 2009, and have continued since.

Users have said that Apple does not cover the loss of data if the item is replaced under warranty. However, opening a Time Capsule to retrieve the internal hard drive voids the warranty, placing some in a difficult situation to access their data.

In July, Apple updated the Time Capsule's capacity to a maximum of 2TB. It is available from Apple for $499, along with the $299 1TB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is it Time Machine that's crashing these external drives? My LaCie died last week after only 1.5 years. Won't even show up on the desk top. Thank god the iMac keeps on turning. \
  • Reply 2 of 42
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    this reminds me, i need to start tracking 2TB drive price changes to back up my data. external drive and USB
  • Reply 3 of 42
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is it Time Machine that's crashing these external drives? My LaCie died last week after only 1.5 years. Won't even show up on the desk top. Thank god the iMac keeps on turning. \

sounds like a bad batch of power supplies. years ago we had a bunch of compaq servers die from bad power supplies and when i called they admitted it and sent new power supplies even after the warranty expired
  • Reply 4 of 42
    do not use Kensington locks?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    I've read that the Tom Tom car kit for iPhone still hasn't been approved by the FCC so perhaps that's causing the delay. A bit naughty if that's the case.

Cynics though could be forgiven for thinking Tom Tom are waiting to see how many Apps get downloaded before maxing out the price.

Anybody know of a suitable alternative?? My iPhone's fallen off my dashboard far too often to be comfortable.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    If so, Apple can use the locate my iPhone feature to find them and..supposedly...the rest of the posse.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    That guy talking in the robbery video is a complete moron.

It's like he's watching a football match or something.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Yeah so... anyone interested in a Macbook Pro, no power cable or accessories. Unwanted gift.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I had a lacie that behaved like that after a 1.5 yrs, check the power brick. They actually sent me a replacement and I'm still using the drive today.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Time Machine is the best backup program humankind has ever devised. But it is not perfect.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

do not use Kensington locks?

guess you don't go into the stores very often. no they don't use notebook locks. they want folks to be able to pick them up, feel the weight etc.

they do use alarm cables but if this was done after hours or they had a gun it wouldn't be hard to dash it, cut the cables and run.

as for the time capsules, what's the warranty, one year. so at least some of the units dying now are out of warranty and you are hosed. so since there's no warranty to void, rip that puppy open and see if you get lucky on getting the data. I myself never trust one backup source. I use time machine daily but then about once each 2 months I clone both my main drive and my itunes drive onto another drive so I have a copy of the 'current state' that is never more than 8 weeks old. If I'm doing a lot of work or added a bunch of new music and such I'll do the clone early.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckylindy View Post

If so, Apple can use the locate my iPhone feature to find them and..supposedly...the rest of the posse.

only works if they set up a mobile me account and turned on the feature.

but it is easy to turn off in the settings, by deleting the mail account or by restoring the iphone back to factory.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Yeah so... anyone interested in a Macbook Pro, no power cable or accessories. Unwanted gift.

$90 tops in any state will get you a new power cable. just better not break the thing cause they probably have the serials on file
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous users in various threads on the Apple Support forums have voiced complaints about Time Capsules allegedly dying in a spontaneous manner. Many of those posting reportedly purchased the hardware in early 2008.

Well, my TC didn't die - but it lost a year's worth of back-ups and had to be reformatted.

So much for the "industrial grade" server inside.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Why is Apple not using Kensington Lock to nail down these laptops. If they were locked down, all laptops will be save except for iPods and iPhones.

How about putting metal doors to these stores. Apple stores are the target of thieves these days because they contain expensive items. They are magnets for thieves, and should be secured like jewelry stores and banks.

Hope they catch these idiots, very soon. Their action seem professional and well organized.

It's unbelievable!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    How soon before these guys connect to a network and get caught by the devices? I'm guessing before the weekend is over.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

After watching MSNBC, CNN, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, BBC, etc., and reading the NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, and the like, as well as viewing the White House "reporters" or the White House Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs, being a "complete moron" is the main prerequisite to obtaining a job at one of those "institutions" of peddling such astonishing BS!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I think I'm one of the first who this unfotunate event has happened to.

And I'm sorry to say that it's not the power supply causing the problems, as I took the dead capsule apart after finding that Apple would do nothing (two months out of warranty) to help. (No, I wasn't expecting a free unit. I made it known to them that all I really wanted was a pro-rated price on a replacement.)

The heat spreader pads had leaked some kind of oil all over the mainboard inside the unit.

Its twin survives, and seems to be happy. Well, as happy as Time Capsule ever was, which wasn't very. I've had no end of trouble with mine, and what sealed the deal was seeing how much better FreeNAS 0.7RC2 with its unofficial Time Capsule support ran.

I dusted off an old HP Vectra VA Pentium Pro and set it up in this way with a PCI gigabit ethernet card. (I was amazed to find that I still had enough 32MB EDO SIMMs to give the installer enough RAM make its RAM disk properly. Afterwards, I was able to put the original 96MB in.) Even with its limited RAM, low processor speed and a USB attached hard drive, it easily runs rings around Time Capsule's performance with several computers hammering on it.

Time Machine and Time Capsule are both cool ideas. It's too bad that Time Capsule just hasn't gotten the job done for me.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    These TC failures area good example of why convergence isn't always good thing. My Airport Extreme gets hot enough as it is. I can't imagine how much hotter at TC must be with the power supply and hard drive all in the same small case along with the router. And if one part breaks, the whole thing becomes landfill.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    I considered a Time Capsule, but ended up just using an old computer as a NAS and Print Server. Works quite well at those tasks, and more customizable than the TC. I'd suggest this route to those with older machines laying around to take one, and use it as a home server. I see one person here already did that.

Then again, I like to be cheap.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    That why I would get a Airport Extreme and a external RAID drive. Much more redundant.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

No Crap! Maybe it was the high school football team grab some things for school.