AT&T agrees to first constantly connected third-party iPhone app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Yes, like I would want my wife tracking my location. That really brings new life to the old ball and chain adage. Further, it opens up the possibility of employers tracking your locations. No thanks. These applications are just sucking your freedom away slowly, but surely.

You are right: with most cell phones, law enforcement can track you. Further, scum bag companies like AT&T will hand your locations over without a warrant.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Well, to answer a flip question seriously, I could use it with my wife. Often I have been held up at work and I wonder--is she close enough to pick up the kids? If I knew her location I could avoid calling her if she was still at work or already home. Or if I remembered something left off the grocery list, I could tell if she was already on her way home or still in the store.

I can think of dozens of little situations like this. Most could be solved with a phone call but sometimes it is not convenient (like when she is still at work) but also, who isn't tired of the "are you almost home?" check in phone calls...

If you think they need this service to track your location, then I hope you are not going to try to make a living off of breaking the law...

• Reply 42 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wonder how much Verizon will charge for something like this?
  • Reply 43 of 45
    ...and all provide this information to government authorities when asked. If you want to keep your location a secret, DO NOT CARRY A CELL PHONE.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, like I would want my wife tracking my location. That really brings new life to the old ball and chain adage.

Well, I suppose that depends on your wife and your relationship, now doesn't it?

It does have a privacy mode if you need it. Of course, I remember this exact argument against the prevelance of cell phones. "Great, our wives will be able to check up on us wherever we are? No thanks!!!"

Quote:

Further, it opens up the possibility of employers tracking your locations. No thanks. These applications are just sucking your freedom away slowly, but surely.

This app doesn't open up anything with your employers. It is an opt in thing.

Quote:

You are right: with most cell phones, law enforcement can track you. Further, scum bag companies like AT&T will hand your locations over without a warrant.

I don't have an argument with this assessment. Except that it has nothing to do with Loopt's app.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post

The traditional GUI application has always used an Event Loop to allow for interactivity. This Event Loop constantly checks to see if the user has pressed a button, used the mouse (touched the screen in the iPhone's case), etc. This uses processor time even while the application is not being actively used. This constant checking is very much discouraged elsewhere in Cocoa (and should be actively discouraged more in other languages as well).

I don't think you understand what an event loop actually is. If desktop apps ran an actual loop in CPU they'd all compete for 100% of the processor time. In fact, apps don't work that way; instead, they register a callback with the UI and the code never gets executed until the GUI thinks it's ready to. Even the UI itself is interrupt-driven.