New AT&T specific features rumored for future iPhone update

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s a 21.8 MB PDF. My iPhone is handling it just fine at 1.7Mbps. Your use of a ?g? network is hyperbolic and thus weakens any reasonable argument you may have have.

As for listening to customers, I don?t know of any company that doesn?t listen to customers, but you fail to consider that listening and then doing what customers want isn?t always the best move for a business. There are shareholders for starters that need to be listened to, and then there are things like technical issues that need to be tackled. Saying, AT&T needs more towers with more bandwidth is not a resolution.

That PDF does show that the US has more geographical coverage of 3G than any single European country. Of course, the US is much bigger in scale so it?s much more costly to provide that much 3G at the same cost as smaller nations. On top of that, all those GSM towers in brownish-orange are towers. How many towers does that mean the US has over a single European country? When you compare populated areas of the US compared to the populated areas of a ingle European country what average density per capita?

Now, none of excuses the issues AT&T is having with dropped calls or the continuing selling of the iPhone when their network can?t handle the current load, but that doesn?t mean you should be comparing countries as if they are one and same when there are very real and quantifiable differences. I don?t care that they?ve spend $28B in the last 2 years or $60B in the last 4 years on upping their 3G network or more than any other US carrier or whatever metric they want to throw at us. I only care about the service I am getting. I never had problems until the 3GS release. If it?s too many Phones on their network in an area they need to stop selling iPhones in that area until they get straightened out. I don?t care how fast, new or big a highway is, too much traffic will result in a gridlock.

Australia is the only countries that seem to have made a decent move to WCDMA 3G for such a large area, but there are definitely differences in that can?t be compared to N. America, Europe or other areas. No place has a perfect network and I find that Europe is often very expensive while also being inconvenient in that a relatively short trip means switching pre-paid SIMs or incur excessive roaming charges.

, gunned on his ass
  • Reply 62 of 64
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm with Vodafone in Australia and find that visual voicemail is great, a lot better than the usual system.

I also like the 1GB of data I have on my $69 plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

... I'm with Telstra in Australia. But Visual Voicemail is not an offered feature.

• Reply 63 of 64
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

sadly the army of data gulping iphone users have crippled/ ATT's network / It has not even finished building out its 3g network. ATT Will never catch up because the IPHONE army grows by the day .

Yea... if it wasn't for all those paying customers the AT&T network would be F_I_N_E.

Sorry but as an AT&T for a long time AT&T has always had network issues... and I live in the Northeast, a region where AT&T is said to be 'better than average'. Sorry but this whole dog pile on the iPhone because people are actually putting their smart-phones TO ACTUAL USE is a really lame copout.

And I'm NOT a fanboy by any stretch, check the forums if you want. I've got no love for AT&T period end of sentence and Apple's freakishly-militant control over the App Store is really grinding on me.

You do have to understand that cell networks by their very nature are a mixed bag of quality. No single carrier can have a great signal EVERYWHERE in the USA the FCC has done a WONDERFUL job making sure we NEVER will. In the process they've padded the government coffers quite handsomely as a result!

Sprint owns various cell phone frequencies in some regions, AT&T owns those very same frequencies in other regions and Verizon owns those very same (okay not exactly the same) frequencies in still other regions.

This is why you can ALWAYS find people who say:

ATT is a GREAT provider.

ATT is the WORST provider.

VERIZON is a GREAT provider.

VERIZON is the WORST provider.

SPRINT is a GREAT provider.

SPRINT is the WORST provider.

It's all a matter of LITERALLY where you sit, even in a single town you can have quite different answers.

Dave