Apple announces iPod nano with camera, FM tuner, pedometer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Curious to see the quality of the pix and video, but those video specs are a little behind the curve considering all of the new tiny HD cameras that have been coming out from Sony, Kodak, et al, to compete with the Flip.

Nano is a media player first, I don't know if it's meant to compete against the Flip-type devices. Flip doesn't appear to offer anything that plays music. As it is, Nano was a pretty nice, very compact device, and a little video recorder is a nifty little bonus. The flips that I've seen seem pretty bulky compared to a nano. I wonder how many people would use the video recorder though.

I'm surprised people don't mind the fact that the flip-type devices doen't offer any zoom. It seems like there are point and shoot cameras in that range that offer high-def video too.

Quote:

I do like the fact they finally, FINALLY included a stinkin' FM radio. Scandalous.

Now we'll see if it's any good. I had an FM-capable media player at one time and its reception was sad at best.

Quote:

Also, why is the green nano a different size? The screen is smaller, and the height is different? Huh?

It is weird.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, why is the green nano a different size? The screen is smaller, and the height is different? Huh?

Looks like an old pic was kept by accident. They replaced the image not create a new image link when you open up each image separately. Notice the anodized colour and shading of the green iPod. If you click on the Select button you see the correct green colour and shading on the next page, though it?s showing the back. Just a mistake.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is this the same camera as the iPhone? That's better than a Flip?

say good bye flip
  • Reply 64 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

"They won't add a camera"

No, they add a video camera and FM radio!!!

And now for Microsoft reply.

Maybe they'd tell the idiot Apple fanboy that doesn't know what he's talking that the Zune has had a radio tuner since launch and that the next version has an HD Radio Tuner.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    Quote:

A pure toy- I'll pass. Sounds like something made in Taiwan from JVC in the 80's. Too many bells and whistles.

dude its fun fun fun

thats all

while having a music player you can play fm radio maybe record some video ON THE SPUR while out with friends

OR when some one commits a crime or stupid act you are ready !!!

you buy the new nano as a great ipod

THAT HAPPENS TO HAVE SOME COOL EXTRAS

• Reply 66 of 106
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

How do they do iTunes tagging with regular FM radio? If they are tuning into the HD signal to get the album/artist info but playing the regular FM signal, that would be lame...

Google FM RDS and all will be revieled....
  • Reply 67 of 106
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

I don't think this is going to take any bite out of the flip market and I shake my head when Apple tries to compare prices. Not because I think Apple is overpriced, but because you can find everyone else's stuff for a nice discount off the MSRP. There's a 8 gb flip on amazon for $161 shipped that shoots 720p and has an HDMI out.

1) The Flip doesn't have an iPod built in

2) I'm far more likely to have an iPod (or iPhone) with me then a dedicated video recorder

Price, quality and everything else don't matter if I don't have it with me to actually use it....
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Am I the only person who would rather have AM radio than FM? AM is news and sports, FM is just music, and an iPod already has music.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

dude its fun fun fun

thats all

while having a music player you can play fm radio maybe record some video ON THE SPUR while out with friends

OR when some one commits a crime or stupid act you are ready !!!

you buy the new nano as a great ipod

THAT HAPPENS TO HAVE SOME COOL EXTRAS

Dude, but I already have a Touch- 'The funnest iPod evah"!
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

say good bye flip

I have a hamburger joint down the street where I work called Flip. Great burgers - don't say that
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The built-in pedometer alerts you to how close a pedophile is. Oh, and BTW - you don't need Nike shoes ... you just need to find your own way to attach the device to your shoes.

No -you just attached the Nano to your shoes and shoot videos up dresses.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    It annoys me that Apple wont allow me to take video on my iphone 3g! Apple are obviously not worried about the quality or they would've not released the kind of camera in the nano.

Sad day for old Apple, showing the arrogance of a market leader.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiderd View Post

It annoys me that Apple wont allow me take video on my iphone 3g! Apple are obviously not worried about the quality or they would not have released the kind of camera in the nano.

Sad day for old Apple, showing the arrogance of a market leader.

In what way? The Nano and 3GS both do 640x480 video. The 3G has been shown repeatedly that it can?t do video at 30fps nor at a resolution that eve nears 640x480 despite having a 2Mpx camera. Is the 3G HW more powerful than the Nano? Absolutely, but the OS in the 3G is considerably more resource hungry which has a very real affect on what other HW can use.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

In what way? The Nano and 3GS both do 640x480 video. The 3G has been shown repeatedly that it can?t do video at 30fps nor at a resolution that eve nears 640x480 despite having a 2Mpx camera. Is the 3G HW more powerful than the Nano? Absolutely, but the OS in the 3G is considerably more resource hungry which has a very real affect on what other HW can use.

Ahh excellent! I dont feel so cheated now you have satisfied my curiosity on the matter.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiderd View Post

Ahh excellent! I dont feel so cheated now you have satisfied my curiosity on the matter.

To be more specific, Cycorder was the most poplar app that was available to jailbroken iPhones. Because it is technically possible to add a video camera in the loosest sense people thought Apple was screwing their customers. However, the resolution is 384x288 or 0.1Mpx and a maximum of 15fps in good lighting and as low as 6fps in bad lighting. That sucks in every way! I imagine Apple could have done better than that but 640x480 with 30fps is pretty much the minimum these days, but I think Cycorder also has to up the processing speed to achieve the weak results it gets. I do give them credit for their work, but it’s just not something the average consumer would be happy with. I think the real change came with hardware acceleration on the 3GS, and likely on the new Nano to allow for this recording in H.264. Heck, Apple just added video to the Nano and people are complaining that it doesn’t do stills and that it doesn’t do HD video.

http://cydia.saurik.com/info/cycorder/
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Looks like an old pic was kept by accident. They replaced the image not create a new image link when you open up each image separately. Notice the anodized colour and shading of the green iPod. If you click on the Select button you see the correct green colour and shading on the next page, though it?s showing the back. Just a mistake.

Yep, they finally changed it. Shoulda kept a screen cap for posterity.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Funny how those two words are so close in appearance, but from different language origins and meanings.

Pedophile = from the British

Pedometer = from the French pédomètre, from Latin pes, ped- ?foot.?

But a pedophile proximity detector in a iPod would make parents run and buy a iPod. Only thing is something has to be tagged to the pedophile, perhaps cramming a nike sensor up their left nostril?

i had the same exact thought

pedo catcher

weird days
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:

Dude, but I already have a Touch- 'The funnest iPod evah"!

but this is 3am sexy bar hop french girls in maids outfits fun

you whip out your nano and soothe them with your f m music and film them being french

fun

a tinie tiny toy that is the most dangerous device.ever .

in nyc we see all kinds of hideous crimes and odd acts of weirdness

and since nyc buys most of the nanos anyway we can now film the underside of gotham;s dark world
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:

I have a hamburger joint down the street where I work called Flip. Great burgers - don't say that

sorry

best burger in nyc is by jane street
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Am I the only person who would rather have AM radio than FM? AM is news and sports, FM is just music, and an iPod already has music.

FM is just commercials. They don't play music on FM.