Apple's mindshare in Asia far outweighs marketshare

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jyhfeei View Post

You could look at this report another way. China is a huge potential market that has a long way till maturity. If as much software (worth) per person was used in China as the US, the amount of value pirated in China would be 17.5 times the value pirated in the US.

(80% pirated in China/ 20% pirated in US) x (1330 million people China / 304 million people US) = 17.5 times!

China's software market (and the rest of Asia) is growing fast and they need to keep significantly reducing piracy rates or they will quickly surpass US in piracy worth.

But I think I did say that Asian countries need to keep focusing on piracy initiatives. see summary from the report of their efforts.

Asia-Pacific

• In China, the break up of a massive counterfeiting ring

in late 2007 and the subsequent trials in 2008 set a

stern anti-piracy tone for the year. Also during 2008,

BSA sent out 53,000 “notice and takedown” letters to

Chinese Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in an effort to

counter Internet piracy. The government conducted

enterprise end-user raids in numerous regions,

including Jinlin, Hainan, Shanxi, Shanghai, Beijing,

Xian, Wuhan, Shenyang, and Qingdao. The Chinese

government also continued its efforts to ensure legal

use of software in government agencies and stateowned

enterprises.

• In Hong Kong, 2008 saw the government amend

copyright laws to make it easier for criminal

enforcement against end-user piracy and conduct

more highly publicized raids on infringing hard-disk

loaders. The extension of the government’s Genuine

Business Software Campaign (GBSC) reached 50,000

companies and increased software vendor revenues

from legalization programs.

• While enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR) is

a challenge in India, BSA was able to obtain 25 “Anton

Piller” orders (search and seizure orders) to investigate

software piracy. Also in 2008, BSA and the State of

Karnataka launched a campaign to encourage small

and medium companies to adopt SAM practices and to

support use of original software.

Btw Canada was placed on Piracy list by United States Trade Representative, who print the list (LAUGH, no mention of USA itself) due to their poor laws and enforcement.

lets not expect miracles overnight.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I went on holiday to the Philippine Islands recently. Oh my god. Massive markets full of knock off western products and the cops do nothing. Well, I heard they do a token raid on like one stall every so often.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    I live in Bali, Indonesia. The Apple iPhone is being massively promoted here.. although it's just the older 3g model with no apparent plans for the new model. Indonesians as a rule don't sign up for phone contracts, overwhelmingly preferring pre-pay systems. I was horrified at the price when I enquired. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was sheer robbery. Blackberries are being pushed too.

Software piracy is not just rampant. Probably due to software publisher restrictions (I'm assuming this, but can't explain it otherwise), you can buy really high-end (mostly PC-based) software at my local supermarket and other outlets, so if I were minded to, I could get Adobe CS4 suite for about USD10, Archicad 12, Autodesk products like 3ds Max Design 2010 and Autocad 2010 for about USD5, and plenty of other stuff such as Solidworks, VRAY, music, video etc etc applications. If you go to certain bookshops you can pick up Indonesian-language books on all these for a few dollars. They also come with CDs stuffed with training videos, sample files. It's no surprise that there are many local Indonesians who have learned high-end CAD and 3D software cheaply, and install the software onto low-spec PCs.

Despite the new smallish shops pushing Macs (PC Max),there is no legal way to purchase Mac software here. Despite this, you can see more and more Macbook pro-toting people taking advantage of the many wi-fi equipped restaurants and cafes.

I bought a full-price legitimate copy of Adobe Design Premium CS3 two years ago in Singapore. Ouch.

There are few Mac titles available here, but can be found if you look. I've seen lots of pirated Mac software in a mall in Kuala Lumpur, but that's a plane-trip away.

Movie DVDs are practically all inferior duplicates, (some with Russian sub-titles) but quality does vary, and can be occasionally really good. These retail for about 1 dollar. Tourists come here and buy them by the ton.

This is a way of life. Making the real thing available at normal retail prices probably won't work.

Fake cosmetics, watches, designer clothes. Bad enough when it is sold as the real thing. Worse when it contains dangerous chemicals. Scary.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauriceg View Post

I live in Bali, Indonesia. The Apple iPhone is being massively promoted here.. although it's just the older 3g model with no apparent plans for the new model. Indonesians as a rule don't sign up for phone contracts, overwhelmingly preferring pre-pay systems. I was horrified at the price when I enquired. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was sheer robbery. Blackberries are being pushed too.

Software piracy is not just rampant. Probably due to software publisher restrictions (I'm assuming this, but can't explain it otherwise), you can buy really high-end (mostly PC-based) software at my local supermarket and other outlets, so if I were minded to, I could get Adobe CS4 suite for about USD10, Archicad 12, Autodesk products like 3ds Max Design 2010 and Autocad 2010 for about USD5, and plenty of other stuff such as Solidworks, VRAY, music, video etc etc applications. If you go to certain bookshops you can pick up Indonesian-language books on all these for a few dollars. They also come with CDs stuffed with training videos, sample files. It's no surprise that there are many local Indonesians who have learned high-end CAD and 3D software cheaply, and install the software onto low-spec PCs.

Despite the new smallish shops pushing Macs (PC Max),there is no legal way to purchase Mac software here. Despite this, you can see more and more Macbook pro-toting people taking advantage of the many wi-fi equipped restaurants and cafes.

I bought a full-price legitimate copy of Adobe Design Premium CS3 two years ago in Singapore. Ouch.

There are few Mac titles available here, but can be found if you look. I've seen lots of pirated Mac software in a mall in Kuala Lumpur, but that's a plane-trip away.

Movie DVDs are practically all inferior duplicates, (some with Russian sub-titles) but quality does vary, and can be occasionally really good. These retail for about 1 dollar. Tourists come here and buy them by the ton.

This is a way of life. Making the real thing available at normal retail prices probably won't work.

Fake cosmetics, watches, designer clothes. Bad enough when it is sold as the real thing. Worse when it contains dangerous chemicals. Scary.

Exactly my experience. I've also seen DVDs for sale before the movies are out at the theaters.

And this is not in a back alley off the back of a truck....

In these countries, most people can't afford the price of a clear conscience.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauriceg View Post

mauriceg

1: do you know who are those ppl purchasing those pirated softwares, such as adobe CS3/4 etc? are they local or foreigners? my worst fear is that ppl from US or other advanced countries are purchasing those pirated softwares over there.

2: do you know whether there is an artistic design hub in bali? i would imagine so, otherwise how could those adobe suites could be sold?

3: what is the ratio of ppl in bali who owns a high end computer and also use it as we do in the states?

4: what language do those bali ppl speak of? english? or are they all fluent in english? or do those pirated softwares have localized copies? last time i checked, adobe suite only is made into some localizations, such as english/japanese/western european, etc. i am surprised that they would have a special localization for bali ppl.

5: yes, a suite of adobe means alot for a designer in US, but it is useless for majority of bali ppl.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jyhfeei View Post

Attached is a recent report on software priracy. Per the report, China has improved from about 90% pirated to about 80% pirated in the last 5 years....I guess you can call this a 100% improvement, but hardly a success.

Even so, the most dollars lost due to software piracy are here in the US. We may not have as many people, but we have lots of computers and expensive software.

http://global.bsa.org/globalpiracy20...piracy2008.pdf

this report is bullshit. how could they do any possible calculation like this? an intuit tax return software means nothing to a chinese or an indian as there is no personal taxation system in those countries; an adobe suite has no meaning for a chinese who does not understand english because adobe exited chinese market long time back.

yes, a PC could be equipped with a given amount of software units, but it is not true in every place as PC sold in china or india could have limited memory or varied system configuration which could severely limit how many software packages they can install.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

this report is bullshit. how could they do any possible calculation like this? an intuit tax return software means nothing to a chinese or an indian as there is no personal taxation system in those countries; an adobe suite has no meaning for a chinese who does not understand english because adobe exited chinese market long time back.

yes, a PC could be equipped with a given amount of software units, but it is not true in every place as PC sold in china or india could have limited memory or varied system configuration which could severely limit how many software packages they can install.

I do not know about China, but India has a personal taxation system, since I live there and just did my tax returns 2 months ago in July. India has band system for taxation, which majority of people in poorer bracket, do not pay tax.

It starts at 10% and goes up to 33%.

India is also planning on introducing e-filing completely in next couple of years.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

But I think I did say that Asian countries need to keep focusing on piracy initiatives. see summary from the report of their efforts.

Asia-Pacific

? In China, the break up of a massive counterfeiting ring

in late 2007 and the subsequent trials in 2008 set a

stern anti-piracy tone for the year. Also during 2008,

BSA sent out 53,000 ?notice and takedown? letters to

Chinese Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in an effort to

counter Internet piracy. The government conducted

enterprise end-user raids in numerous regions,

including Jinlin, Hainan, Shanxi, Shanghai, Beijing,

Xian, Wuhan, Shenyang, and Qingdao. The Chinese

government also continued its efforts to ensure legal

use of software in government agencies and stateowned

enterprises.

? In Hong Kong, 2008 saw the government amend

copyright laws to make it easier for criminal

enforcement against end-user piracy and conduct

more highly publicized raids on infringing hard-disk

loaders. The extension of the government?s Genuine

Business Software Campaign (GBSC) reached 50,000

companies and increased software vendor revenues

from legalization programs.

? While enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR) is

a challenge in India, BSA was able to obtain 25 ?Anton

Piller? orders (search and seizure orders) to investigate

software piracy. Also in 2008, BSA and the State of

Karnataka launched a campaign to encourage small

and medium companies to adopt SAM practices and to

support use of original software.

Btw Canada was placed on Piracy list by United States Trade Representative, who print the list (LAUGH, no mention of USA itself) due to their poor laws and enforcement.

lets not expect miracles overnight.

Have you been to China? These seizures and reports are for foreigners to satisfy them that something is being done. Like I said before, China is the biggest shell game in the world. What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    souliisoul,

No, I have not been to India, and personally I would not go there and for only one reason, because of the cast system that exist there, the poor will always stay poor and rich will do everything they can do to keep them poor. Do not tell me it does not happen my wife spent a month there on two occasions, once in Deli and the other in your home town and what she witness was horrible and she will never go back and she has traveled to many places enjoys learning about the culture and did spend time with locals learning about the culture it was the worse experience she had because the way people are treated

My personal opinion about India they will never be truly successful because of the cast system that exist. A country can not grow unless everyone in the country has the right to succeed the Indian cast system does not allow this.

Now back to the point here, Asian businesses steal ideals, products and content all the time and sell it as their own. I been to these country you mention and see it all the time people right out in the open selling knockoff or exact duplicate of products made by US and European companies as well an Japanese companies. I even seen where they are sell the US companies products and just remove the trade name. These are no knock off they are the exact product most like made in the exact factory the US company use to build their product and this factory makes extras and sells it themselves. They have no problem doing it, Yes the governments cracks down on it only is a jester to show the world they are trying to control it.

Also if China did not promote these activities why do they have a Mall in Shenzhen which is call the Fake Mall which I personally saw when I was there, it sell nothing but good which are exact knock off made by other companies in other countries. They sell products which are design in the US and the copied and manufacture in China.

I'll give you another good example of knocking of a design, look at the Hyundai Entourage minivan, it almost an exact knock off of the Ford Windstar, it actually uses some of the same designs of parts, and no Ford and Hyundai do not have deal. Hyundai just copied it. So yes Hyundai is becoming a successful car company not because they figured out how to design a better car they just took every other car companies ideas and used it as their own.

Again if you talk to the people from companies or countries they do not see a problem with this, they do not see a problem making money off other people's idea. This is fundamental cultural difference in these countries and the US.

I will give China some credit, they do allow US product to be sold in their country, I saw people driving around US design cars, can't say whether they were actually made in the US or not but people were driving them around. Also saw other real US products, which I know are manufactured in China, but they had the company name on them and were being used and sold at the US market price for those items.

I would not say people in the US do not pirate music and videos, but this is mostly limited to kids and a small population, but Apple has shown if you provide people a better model that will not copy electronic content, thus the reason they had 8.5B downloads. What you do not see in the US is wholesale copying of other companies ideas and selling and marketing them as their own. Yes might see a a few people on the streets of NYC selling a knock off purse, but you do not see US companies making knock off products and putting them into the market place.

So before you go off and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about or my facts are old, I have first hand knowledge and experience and just because you found some government propaganda saying these countries are doing everything they can to stop this you better open your eyes and look around. I would say start with your own country, Since i know that India was one of the largest user of Cracked iphones when only AT&T was selling them. My wife said she work with a number of people there who all had iphone, I wonder how they got them.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I knew someone would post that article, if you live in India, people will laugh at you because everyone knows Bollywood does not post its real earnings because a lot of is off-shore due to Indian investors not wanting to pay tax in India.

Great example is Tata Chairman is said to be worth USD1 billion, everyone knows he worth much more that, but no one including Forbes has been able to obtain his worth. Mittel, Ambani etc also very private with their fortunes.

I should have said in terms of films and cinema sales/revenues, what I mistaken forgot is video, merchandising etc., which of course Hollywood makes a ton of money.

Soul

Well this is true, a family friend from Germany works for UBS banking and investments and he deals with mainly Indian clients and he said it all secret and you never know who the client is they only deal through account numbers and such.

Again it is the rich doing what every they can to make sure the low cast can not get a leg up in the world.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have you been to China? These seizures and reports are for foreigners to satisfy them that something is being done. Like I said before, China is the biggest shell game in the world. What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

Yes worked there on and off for 6 years, better much lived in majority of major countries including USA. So I can compare knowing I had first hand experience
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

souliisoul,

No, I have not been to India, and personally I would not go there and for only one reason, because of the cast system that exist there, the poor will always stay poor and rich will do everything they can do to keep them poor. Do not tell me it does not happen my wife spent a month there on two occasions, once in Deli and the other in your home town and what she witness was horrible and she will never go back and she has traveled to many places enjoys learning about the culture and did spend time with locals learning about the culture it was the worse experience she had because the way people are treated

My personal opinion about India they will never be truly successful because of the cast system that exist. A country can not grow unless everyone in the country has the right to succeed the Indian cast system does not allow this.

Now back to the point here, Asian businesses steal ideals, products and content all the time and sell it as their own. I been to these country you mention and see it all the time people right out in the open selling knockoff or exact duplicate of products made by US and European companies as well an Japanese companies. I even seen where they are sell the US companies products and just remove the trade name. These are no knock off they are the exact product most like made in the exact factory the US company use to build their product and this factory makes extras and sells it themselves. They have no problem doing it, Yes the governments cracks down on it only is a jester to show the world they are trying to control it.

Also if China did not promote these activities why do they have a Mall in Shenzhen which is call the Fake Mall which I personally saw when I was there, it sell nothing but good which are exact knock off made by other companies in other countries. They sell products which are design in the US and the copied and manufacture in China.

I'll give you another good example of knocking of a design, look at the Hyundai Entourage minivan, it almost an exact knock off of the Ford Windstar, it actually uses some of the same designs of parts, and no Ford and Hyundai do not have deal. Hyundai just copied it. So yes Hyundai is becoming a successful car company not because they figured out how to design a better car they just took every other car companies ideas and used it as their own.

Again if you talk to the people from companies or countries they do not see a problem with this, they do not see a problem making money off other people's idea. This is fundamental cultural difference in these countries and the US.

I will give China some credit, they do allow US product to be sold in their country, I saw people driving around US design cars, can't say whether they were actually made in the US or not but people were driving them around. Also saw other real US products, which I know are manufactured in China, but they had the company name on them and were being used and sold at the US market price for those items.

I would not say people in the US do not pirate music and videos, but this is mostly limited to kids and a small population, but Apple has shown if you provide people a better model that will not copy electronic content, thus the reason they had 8.5B downloads. What you do not see in the US is wholesale copying of other companies ideas and selling and marketing them as their own. Yes might see a a few people on the streets of NYC selling a knock off purse, but you do not see US companies making knock off products and putting them into the market place.

So before you go off and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about or my facts are old, I have first hand knowledge and experience and just because you found some government propaganda saying these countries are doing everything they can to stop this you better open your eyes and look around. I would say start with your own country, Since i know that India was one of the largest user of Cracked iphones when only AT&T was selling them. My wife said she work with a number of people there who all had iphone, I wonder how they got them.

Quote:

Well this is true, a family friend from Germany works for UBS banking and investments and he deals with mainly Indian clients and he said it all secret and you never know who the client is they only deal through account numbers and such.

Again it is the rich doing what every they can to make sure the low cast can not get a leg up in the world.

Firstly stop your ranting because, I am not Indian and work as expat in India. So you ranting about look at my own country is completely off the chart. I love India because the poor and rich live together in harmony majority of the time. You can see this very prominently in Mumbai. I am not looked at in inferior way as I was when working in USA.

Secondly the cast system is practiced more in villages/country areas, then in Metro cities and not sure where your wife was but I have lived here for a year and the cast system is nothing like what it was 10 years, when I was working in India before. Th cast system is not stopping India from growing, since it shown better growth then USA and majority of 'developed' countries in the economic climate of late 2007 until now.

The cast system is dying out and people respect people if they are hard working and have ambition. I am not saying the cast system is non-existent, but it is being seen as negative thought by many people in India. The villages/countryside people keep it more, but ever the young in such areas are less focused on cast system.

As for cracked iphones, may people are proud of their possessions and you would not see a cracked iphones being sold in shops. If you are talking jailbreaked iphones, so your wife worked with group of say hundred or thousand people and that makes India largest place to found jailbreaked iphones, interesting argument.

Lastly I will take a bet with you that cast system will become non-existent in India faster than removal of racism from USA.

If you live in a Glass House, Do not throw stones!

I lived in USA for 5 years, I was in a senior position in TOP 5 Pharma company and my motto has always been to work hard and ignore racism, bitter people, but my experience in a 'developed country like USA was unbelievable.

Mittel Steel and Ambani brothers, you may want to look up their background, since they all came from very poor start.

When you have actually lived in a place for a LONG time, then you can make comments, but make sure you looking at your OWN country first!

P.S. Take a trip to SOUTH Alabama, but racism is more open there, since in NorthEast USA e.g. NY, PA, New Jersey and Maryland it is people hiding in closet being racist, which is worst.

I try take the best from every country, since there is no country in the world that does not have some major issues to resolve.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Your last statement so full of crap, you could sell it for garden manure in Home Depot. Everyone with money from middle income earners to super rich, have foreign investments/accounts to avoid taxes, it is not only the super rich.