Who skis?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
or snowboards?

i ski.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I used to ski. I haven't gone skiing in 4 years though. Granite Chief at Squaw was always fun. I've been to Whistler and Jackson Hole too, but amazingly, the best snow I've ever seen was at Squaw Valley during the last El Nino. It was bliss. I'm sure the other resorts in the are were great too. Heavenly, Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood, etc...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I'm a snowboarder... been doing it for about 4 years now.

I think it's a lot of fun. My friends and I will just go up to the local ski place and hit the slopes for a night; it's a great way just to get away from everything else.

But what sucks this year is that we have NO snow! Last year, we had about 2 feet of snow a week before Thanksgiving, and now the first snow of the year we got 2 days ago (it was only 2" or so, and it didn't stick to the ground). So yeah, I'm kinda bummed. I want to get out there.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I ski since the age of 3 years old. i ski in Tignes and Val d'isere (France) since many years. I love to ski but i have less time than before. Perhaps i go in late march 2002 skiing.

The parabolic ski are fabulous, i bought one last year, what a progress !, much easier and much more performant especially on the ice.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Been skiing since I was 8 yrs old! My favorite sport! I may try boarding when I tire with skiing, but I don't foresee that happening in the near future. Squaw Valley is my favorite in CA and Whistler is the best on the continent IMO.

Nevertheless, we are planning a trip to Colorado for this Feb/Mar. I have only skied Winter Park there. Can anyone suggest a CO resort with the following mix of features: large mountain, 40+ percent advanced, decent villiage/ restaraunts, and not overpriced?

We have been reading a lot of Ski and Skiing magazines the past several months, but I don't exactly trust their reviews. At any rate, our top contenders are Breckenridge, Telluride, Steamboat and Vail. We are leaning towards Breckenridge because it seems to match our wish list the best.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

matthew

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: zonetuke ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 29
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I am skiing too but cross country. Unfortunetly we do no have much snow here in Denmark so each year I go to Norway and do my 15-30 km (10-20 miles) per day for a couple of weeks. I guess I choose sport where I can see what I have done on real maps. Cross country and road bike for me all the way.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Tottal skier. Iv been getting into the freeskiing movement. Backflips, mutegrabs and all that. I hope to be picking up some twin-tip 1080's sometime soon, though my Atomics are working fine for now.

Up here in Baker we have almost to much snow. There has been 23 inches in the last 24 hours. Its snowing so hard and fast that you cant really enjoy it . Looks like Mt.Baker Washington is on track to brake the world record of snowfall for the second time .
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I've skied once and never boarded. But I know how to completely tune and de-tune skiis and boards. I can properly fit people in them and stuff like that. Pretty strange, I know...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    There are no hills and very little snow here,so I am stuck with surfing,there is a good swell coming in tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I skied back when I was in high school (don't ask how long ago)...my brother used to live in Denver. So I'd fly out there every other winter and we'd go up to Copper Mountain or some place. But I haven't skied at all since then. A couple years back I wanted to learn how to snow board because it looks like a ton of fun, but I never got around to it.

I skate though...skate like the wind I tell you!

• Reply 10 of 29
    I'm a ski instructor at Montage Mountain in northeastern Pennsylvania. It's a really fun job. I must have been on snow for about 40 days last year. Unfortunately, I don't think I can keep up with the large four day a week committment, so I won't be instructing this year. I'll definitely get out though, probably by riding the college discount gravy train. I am planning a few trips to Ski Windham in the Catskills, one to Killington for Easter, and one to Stowe in March. It's going to be a good year I think.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I have always wanted to ski. Would love to try snowboarding infact.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    I love to use ski blades as well. They come in sizes ranging from about 90cm to 120cm. Let me tell you, the 120cm ski blades that Atomic used to make had real bindings on them. They were the most fun pair of skis I ever had. Pure carving skis. Sadly, like most of my skis, they only lasted a year, as I killed them. That's what skiing hard 40+ days on icy crud will do to you.

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I don't know about snowboarding. There was a lot of interest in the sport when it first gained a lot of momentum at ski resorts, but now I'm unsure...

Yeah you have a board and you can carve with it,

Yeah you can do tricks with it

Yeah it's easier to learn at first with it,

BUT

You cannot go nearly as fast as skiiers without many more years of practice- even if then.

Skiing gives you more options: skis, ski blades.

Skiing is just cooler. Snowboarders tend to scrape eastern slopes of precious snow- hence the uncool factor. If you wanna be a rebel, evade the ski patrol on your skis. You're a sitting duck on a snowboard.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I've been skiing for 12 years. Fun stuff, especially with all the mountains and ski areas here in Oregon. I tried snowboarding when I was little and simply found it annoying. You fall down and it's hard to get up and you faceplant yourself in the snow and shatter your Oakleys. I tried it again last year and had the same results.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Yeah that sucks getting snow in your A-Frames like that when you snowboard. I just have the regular lense, nevermind the more expensive but cooler looking iridium lenses.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I have skied a couple of times. i don0t like it particularly... never tried skateboards. Skated on ice a couple of times but that is painful, more than skiing... i have broken my other foot when i was a kid so skates (and rollers) distribute the pressure painfully. Thus, prefer other sports ... (moderatedly running and swimming)
  • Reply 17 of 29
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I've been to Squaw,Heavenly,SnowBird,ParkCity, and Sun Valley all bigger resorts. I've skied all the resorts in the state of Washington. Most in Utah, and a few in the Tahoe area.

Nothing compares to the Powder of Utah...nothing!!! Nothing prepares a skier to be good in all conditions than what we call in Washington "Cascade Concrete"

My all-time favorite has to be Sun Valley, because it's more than just a ski resort. In the spring time, it's one big giant party of skiing, music, arts and crafts, and just plain fun.

For plain expert skiing I'd recommend Jackson Hole, Some flat out crazy terrain if you know where to find it. Alta in Utah a close second for double diamond terrain and short lines on sunday....have to lovethe mormons
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Nice, Squash. I've never been out west myself. I've skiied only eastern "ice" and "corduroy" at Killington, Sugarbush, Lake Placid, Ski Windham, and Hunter. Great for um... I don't know.. but Killington's got some nice glades called "Fusion Zones."
  • Reply 19 of 29
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I've been skiing since I was about four, but university study hindered my skiing recently.

Now I have an income (of sorts), my own boots, access to skis for nowt and free time, so I'm just waiting for the awesome UK winter. We might actually get one this year. Pesky Gulf stream . Does anyone else ski in the UK?

The best skiing I've had was at Meribel/The Three Valleys, in the French Alps. It's huge, great snow and weather (five out of six days of sunshine) and was my second attempt with carving skis. Very nice.

Oakleys: I still wear my Razor Blades (non Iridium). Do I qualify as old skool? :cool:
  • Reply 20 of 29
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I used to ski. I haven't gone skiing in 4 years though. Granite Chief at Squaw was always fun. I've been to Whistler and Jackson Hole too, but amazingly, the best snow I've ever seen was at Squaw Valley during the last El Nino. It was bliss. I'm sure the other resorts in the are were great too. Heavenly, Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood, etc...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Squaw is definately the best place around, though I don't go snowboarding much anymore.