Mac sales grow 7% as Apple projected to sell 2.8M in quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Stock has more than DOUBLED from 6 months ago...

But as long-term investors know, still down nearly 15% from its high at the end of 2007. When AAPL was at the low point earlier this year, this represented a massive 60% decline from its high. All considered, this past 18 months has been a pretty painful ride for AAPL investors.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

All of this success has been enraging the "Apple SUCKS" crowd for years now. When the inevitable pause in growth finally does happen at some point in the future we will see the knives come out like never before. In the meantime, however, I enjoy watching the egg drip on the faces of all the marketing "experts" here and on other forums that constantly spout off about how they know how to run Apple better then the current exectutive team, about how they know what products and features Apple should be releasing to be successful. It's hilarious, really.

Ha! What I love about this statement is how easily it translated into the current political environment between the Left and the Right, here in America.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I just got a Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro the week before last. 8GB DRAM, 500GB@7200 RPM, and Antiglare. Of all my Macs over the years, it is by far the finest, most well made Mac I've ever owned. Glad to add to the bottom line.

Now I just have to get used to CDs and DVDs ejecting from the side instead of the front. I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!

AntiGlare! I'm with you there!

Is Snow Leopard on the original install disks, or is it a upgrade disk taped to the outside of the box?

Congrats.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Lossless ??? You still lose %50 try AIFF for exact FILES FROM CD TO DESKTOP > TO ITUNES .

I just played Abbey ROAD and i feel like i am hearing it for the first time.. excellent ..

mono or stereo ??

You don't lose anything. The songs are decompressed when played.

This is like a ZIP or Stuffit file.

How do you think you can compress programs and still get them to work?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You don't lose anything. The songs are decompressed when played.

This is like a ZIP or Stuffit file.

How do you think you can compress programs and still get them to work?

welcome on your grand return

and my friend out of scores pf dozens of posts i have only seen you WRONG TWICE

First the iphone is a computer >>you said it was not

but steve jobs just said that the iphone is a computer

>>>>>>

and now with lossless

i don't know zip files or compressed SW coming to full life . like comparing your jeans with a freeze dried beef wellinton

but i do know that when you drag a music/audio file on your desk top it is EXACTLY WHAT was on the CD. and then if you happen to import said audio music file in A I F F into your itunes player it is very very close to exactly what was on the cd .

changing the encoding or format in any way with a living medium like auido/musical changes the sound , it Changes the format .

Could I Hear the changes ??? i dunno maybe not .

But i do know that the 17 minute > I GO HOME > Woodstock < Ten Years After> ALVIN LEE sounds fantastic on vinyl and pretty good on cd with good head phones . But i don't see compressingthis 17 minutes of heated speeded up live guitar rendition and then un compressing WILL not affect this stella performance

• Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

>>>>>>

and now with lossless

i don't know zip files or compressed SW coming to full life . like comparing your jeans with a freeze dried beef wellinton

but i do know that when you drag a music/audio file on your desk top it is EXACTLY WHAT was on the CD. and then if you happen to import said audio music file in A I F F into your itunes player it is very very close to exactly what was on the cd .

changing the encoding or format in any way with a living medium like auido/musical changes the sound , it Changes the format .

But i do know that the 17 minute > I GO HOME > Woodstock < Ten Years After> ALVIN LEE sounds fantastic on vinyl and pretty good on cd with good head phones . But i don't see compressingthis 17 minutes of heated speeded up live guitar rendition and then un compressing WILL not affect this stella performance

There are only two kinds of data compression. Lossy data compression is only relevant with audio and visual rendered files as our eyes and ears can’t determine all the data so it’s just not a requirement to create a useful file. Lossy data compression does not lose any of the data to create the compressed file.

As Melgross pointed out, it’s like Zipped files. You can’t have a program that is compressed that uncompresses to a different size or structure. It has to be the same to work. Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is exactly that. It’s a compression format designed specifically to be as efficient as possible in compressing the data that can then be recreated EXACTLY as it was before the compression.

With audio lossy codecs (that are not VBR) there is a chosen bit rate before the compression. For 320kbps MP3 there are literally 320,000 bits per second. You can divide that by the song length and figure out the duration of the song, regardless of the audio type. That is pretty simple math. On the other hand, Lossless is less exacting. If you take two audio files that are the exact same length, but one is a complex song and the other spoken word with pauses in speech you’ll find that the latter is a smaller file than the former despite being the same duration. This is better illustrated with an image file.

My attempt at an example: If I had a picture of a black square 64px x 64px that was uncompressed it would be read as “pixel 1= black, pixel 2 = black, … pixel 4096 = black”, but with a lossless PNG that pic would be read as “pixel 1 to 4096 = black”. It’s the same thing for lossless audio except that it’s a lot harder to create a visual example. At least it didn’t involve cars.

So, if you want to back up your Beatles you can get the same EXACT quality with Apple Lossless or any other lossless codec, while also saving space on your HDD.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

>>>>>>

and now with lossless

I said that Apple said that it was not a computer. That was back before the app store.

Bruce, lossless is exactly that. It's lossless. When the file is decompressed, it's EXACTLY the same file. No difference. The decompression software checks this to make sure. It's called a checksum. It works. The file is decompressed when it is played but you will see it as compressed after it is played.

A recorded file is not "living". It's just a collection of 1's and 0's.

It really does work. Even my high end audio friends who understand little, understand this.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I said that Apple said that it was not a computer. That was back before the app store.

Bruce, lossless is exactly that. It's lossless. When the file is decompressed, it's EXACTLY the same file. No difference. The decompression software checks this to make sure. It's called a checksum. It works. The file is decompressed when it is played but you will see it as compressed after it is played.

A recorded file is not "living". It's just a collection of 1's and 0's.

It really does work. Even my high end audio friends who understand little, understand this.

Well may be i am off here.

MAYBE not i will take a day or two and compare AIFF and LOSELESS and see whats what ,

to be continued......

ps lossless still implies some loss ; you just lose less of it >> i think
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

ps lossless still implies some loss ; you just lose less of it >> i think

I see what you?re getting at but the use of less is suffix which means that that is means ?-less" is defined as ?without", or in other words lossless means ?without loss?.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see what you?re getting at but the use of less is suffix which means that that is means ?-less" is defined as ?without", or in other words lossless means ?without loss?.

Thank you

so you 2 dude feel that lossless sound exactly the same as aiff . .

I will accept and re think what i say about these formats . ok .

But a final comment i would like to make IS >> can you take a music file covert to lossless and then reconvert to the original file . ?

{{{{ file > lossless >file }}}}

My next mission in life is ti find the missing minutes from the song << i go home >> TYA ALVIN LEE at WOODSTOCK .

PEACE

• Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Thank you

so you 2 dude feel that lossless sound exactly the same as aiff . .

I will accept and re think what i say about these formats . ok .

But a final comment i would like to make IS >> can you take a music file covert to lossless and then reconvert to the original file . ?

{{{{ file > lossless >file }}}}

My next mission in life is ti find the missing minutes from the song << i go home >> TYA ALVIN LEE at WOODSTOCK .

PEACE

You?ve DLed programs that were compressed off the internet. Apps come with .ZIP, .DMG, .TAR. etc extensions. These are compressed lossless files. When they are uncompressed they are the exact same as before, otherwise they wouldn?t work. I left you links to Lossy and Lossless, above. Read them, they explain in detail the way they work.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?ve DLed programs that were compressed off the internet. Apps come with .ZIP, .DMG, .TAR. etc extensions. These are compressed lossless files. When they are uncompressed they are the exact same as before, otherwise they wouldn?t work. I left you links to Lossy and Lossless, above. Read them, they explain in detail the way they work.

Thank you my buddy for the timely links /info .

Yes i understand zip DL and expanding compressed files

i have 150 live pink floyd booties shows all from zip or wav or win max or on and on. I just have a hard time getting my head around ones/zero's being flattened and then expanded .For a flash app yes but for a love song that may make me swoon its seems almost unreal what we can doto it and keep it true to its intended form . I may be a luddite .

i will read the links tonight .

peace