iPod touch speed tests; iPhone radiation; Google Chrome Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Texting while driving will probably kill you long before any electromagnetic radiation. Do you realize how much radiation of all different sorts you are exposed to every moment of every day? You are surrounded by electromagnetic radiation, both man made and natural. Even light and heat are a form of it.

Well said.

You're exposed to more electromagnetic radiation every day from TV transmissions, radio signals and the wiring in your house than from your cell phone. And then there's your yellow light exposure!

Yellow light (ie, the visible light from a light bulb or the sun) has something in the order of 1,000,000 times more energy than a typical cell phone, yet we don't have to lock ourselves inside darkened rooms just to survive. (before I get flamed, yes, I know excessive sun exposure causes cancer, but that's from ultraviolet light, not yellow light)

One thing you should question is what is the mechanism by which cell phone radiation is meant to cause cancer in the first place? All known cancer causing agents (radiation, some chemicals, certain viruses, etc...) work by disrupting cellular DNA, breaking it's chemical bonds resulting in mutant DNA.

Electromagnetic radiation is distributed by 'energy packets' called photons. The energy of a photon is determined by it's wavelength - shorter the wavelength = higher the energy level. It's not until you reach the ultra-violet end of the spectrum that electronmagnetic energy is high enough to disrupt cellular DNA and break it's chemical bonds. (that's why you need sunscreen - for protection from the sun's ultra-violet, not it's yellow light) So either cell phone radiation follows different laws of physics or it seems highly unlikely there is a risk?

Anway, don't take my word for it, I could be completely wrong. Do your own research. Or, if you prefer, lock yourself in a darkened faraday cage, put on your tin foil hat and pray for the rest of us as we endure our daily bombardment of electromagnetic radiation. Just please don't text and drive, because that will surely get you, me or somebody else killed eventually.

If anyone is interested, the current issue of Skeptical Inquirer magazine has a good article titled: "Power Line Panic and Mobile Phone Mania ? What is the physics that underlies any possible linkage between mobile phones, power lines, and cancer?"

http://www.csicop.org/news/show/on_n..._vol._33_no._5
  • Reply 22 of 36
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TG1970 View Post

Well said.

You're exposed to more electromagnetic radiation every day from TV transmissions, radio signals and the wiring in your house than from your cell phone. And then there's your yellow light exposure!

Yellow light (ie, the visible light from a light bulb or the sun) has something in the order of 1,000,000 times more energy than a typical cell phone, yet we don't have to lock ourselves inside darkened rooms just to survive. (before I get flamed, yes, I know excessive sun exposure causes cancer, but that's from ultraviolet light, not yellow light)

One thing you should question is what is the mechanism by which cell phone radiation is meant to cause cancer in the first place? All known cancer causing agents (radiation, some chemicals, certain viruses, etc...) work by disrupting cellular DNA, breaking it's chemical bonds resulting in mutant DNA.

Electromagnetic radiation is distributed by 'energy packets' called photons. The energy of a photon is determined by it's wavelength - shorter the wavelength = higher the energy level. It's not until you reach the ultra-violet end of the spectrum that electronmagnetic energy is high enough to disrupt cellular DNA and break it's chemical bonds. (that's why you need sunscreen - for protection from the sun's ultra-violet, not it's yellow light) So either cell phone radiation follows different laws of physics or it seems highly unlikely there is a risk?

Anway, don't take my word for it, I could be completely wrong. Do your own research. Or, if you prefer, lock yourself in a darkened faraday cage, put on your tin foil hat and pray for the rest of us as we endure our daily bombardment of electromagnetic radiation. Just please don't text and drive, because that will surely get you, me or somebody else killed eventually.

If anyone is interested, the current issue of Skeptical Inquirer magazine has a good article titled: "Power Line Panic and Mobile Phone Mania ? What is the physics that underlies any possible linkage between mobile phones, power lines, and cancer?"

http://www.csicop.org/news/show/on_n..._vol._33_no._5

Lol..I almost suggested the tin foil hat, but I edited it out before hitting reply. I figured it would be considered flamebait
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Pull your head out of your behind some of you.

Radiation from cell phones is a real and frightening.

Apple I am not happy with guys. Health is important, theist important aspect. Get your asses to work to make a much safer device at last. ...h.

I'm glad I caught this news snippet & your post. I had been totally wondering my right ass cheek feels all hot when I slip my 3GS into the rear pocket of my Diesel jeans. As long as I don't do it for 10 years, I should be OK, right?

edit: oh crap. I felt back there, and I think there's a lump
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Lol..I almost suggested the tin foil hat, but I edited it out before hitting reply. I figured it would be considered flamebait

You've got more will power than me; I just couldn't resist the tempation

Of course the tin foil hat won't give you much protection from the 40 millirems or so of radiation your body generates each year all by itself, but then that's 'natural' radiation so it must be good for you...
  • Reply 25 of 36
    In my tests, Google Chrome performed well on a Mac. It should prove a nice alternative to Safari, especially if Google can find a way to differentiate it. Currently speaking, they are very, very similar in appearance and feel. Unless I start to have issues, there really is no reason for me to opt out of Safari as my browser of choice.

2 thumbs up for Chrome.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Anybody compare their new 3g Touch to a 2g...I'm debating whether to get a 2g 32GB refurb or a 3g 32GB ($249 CDN for the refurb, $329 CDN for the 3g)
  • Reply 27 of 36
    If you're afraid of radiation, just use the headphones w/ mic that come with the iPhone for any extended conversations.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Your phone only radiates when it is uploading data or transmitting voice.

While the phone is in your pocket and you aren't moving across a large number of cells, it will only transmit every 1-2 hours to let the network know you're still there. Push email and notifications will transmit a keep alive message roughly every 10 minutes.

When you a receive a call, SMS, push email or push notification you then begin transmitting data.

So all the bastards that call me at work when I have my mobile in my pocket are messing up my privates. I knew they hated my balls, but this is a new low...

Had to get that off my chest.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Here in the UK the government has already mandated the new phone publish the radiation levels. I'm not aware of purchasing being affected, certainly I don't know anyone that bothers to read the figures before buying.

I'm afraid I'm sceptical by it all anyway. Background radiation is much higher. The argument then comes that a gives a regular pulse... I'm afraid there are plenty of regular pulses in background radiation as well, even where phone masts are not available.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of course liberals will demand 100% safety which is impossible.

My bullshit-o-meter calls you out on that.

liberals. conservatives. pro-life. pro-choice.

When did we stop referring to each other as "humans".
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Sadly, the iPhone 3G has twice the level of radiation as the 2G. My girlfriend works as an OR Nurse. None of the Neural Surgeons at her hospital use cell phones directly up to their heads. They use speaker phone, or a wired headphone attachment. The reasoning is that cancerous growth in the brain is higher in people using cell phones, and the growth area is by where you'd put the phone to your ear.

Something doesn't have to be proven for there to be enough information to exercise caution. I myself don't keep the phone in my pocket, and mostly only use speaker phone.

Quote:

They said the report indicates there is cause for concern. It is not conclusive and there is still no hard proof that it causes any of the illnesses mentioned. They are basing their decision on studies with animals subjected to much higher levels of electromagnetic radiation.

Unfortunately it also doesn't mention if the phone transmitter is active (I assume it is since they are talking about time with the phone spent in close proximity to the head), but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

As with all things, a little caution might be a good idea but I wouldn't toss out your phone based on this.

• Reply 32 of 36
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Sadly you have 0 proof that cancer is higher in people using cell phones. Sell crazy somewhere else or show us the studies that show any cancer related to cell phones.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I ran chrome on snowie, and was pleasantly surprised. Previous versions rendered gmail wrong, and had a tendancy to have a scroll bar on every page, even if it was unnecessary, taking away space from the macbook screen. This version was pretty fast (not as fast as Safari IMO) and rendered well. Still not a firefox killer for me, an will probably not even replace Safari as my secondary browser, but still good.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

REQUEST:

Can anyone suggest a good Bluetooth headset compatible with the iPhones. The apple one I got is perfect in every respect but actually working without static. And I desperately need to get one.

Any guys with a good iPhone Bluetooth though please get in touch.

I am currently using this one:-

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...very-925-black

Although the new model looks very nice, might be time for a change:-

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame.../discovery-975

This is my old one which I occasionally use for music:-

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...ts/voyager-855
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I wonder who makes the Best Earbuds & Noise Cancelation Mic Hands-free Kit for iPhone?

1. I want the Earbuds to cut out as much noise as possible! I want them to be Audiophile Caliber!

2. I want a mic to have the ultimate Noise Cancelation, good enough to be able to whisper, like on a helicopter! Well, almost!

3. Plus all Remote Control Options for iPhone!

Who makes such product?

Audiophile Caliber stuff like:

http://www.westone.com/hearing/UFE/U...Earphones.html

http://www.westone.com/hearing/CFIMM..._Monitors.html

can get costly, so, maybe there is 2.+ 3. that has Input for Westone type of high-end earphones, so that one can have the best of each component?

Then comes the Law on Driving with Hands-Free Kits and cell phone

When I get in the car, I have to remove one of the earbuds out of my ear, otherwise I can't hear what's around me, and thus I am breaking the law, which is different for every state!

Also, a cop can lie and say that I was wearing earbuds in both ears, which is impossible to see, unless the cop is driving right next to me, and we both stopped at the light, with the cops on my left, as my window is open, and they can see if I am using 1 or 2 earbuds....

Oops, I got off my own topic:

Best Earbuds & Noise Cancelation Mic Hands-Free Kit for iPhone!

So, I hope to have some good suggestions on 2.+ 3. that has Input for high-end earphones, so that one can have the best of each component? Please provide the links in this format http://www.westone.com so that it's all 1 click away!!!

Thanks to all for your posts! I LOVE this Forum, and not just for it's content, but for how User-Friendly the Software is that runs this Forum: Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4 http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php

The politics I could do without... Why bring it here, when there is already way too much of it out there... ouch!

So, to me, personally, this Forum becomes a nice distraction-escape from other things...

So, again - Thanks to all for your posts!
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was only true on Leopard. On SL in both 32-bit and 64-bit Safari 4.0.3 beats Chromium by a wide margin.

That said, letting these leads in JS determine your browser is silly. There are legitimate reasons to choose any browser on the market, even IE.

Disagree with you totally, I own an 8 cores Mac Pro, 10 GB RAM. Recently upgraded to snow leopard safari 4.0.3 is so buggy that sometimes even top tabs are not loaded at all. Sometimes pages are not loaded, sometimes they load but takes 1 min for a page on my 24 MBps ADSL internet connection. If I create a new tab and write address, then press enter key, nothing loads, even the indicator does not show it loads something. If I create another tab, then the first one starts to load.

Apple said that on snow, the safari browser is crash resistent, not sure even about that, yesterday it crashed for me 2 times because of Flash content.

I really love apple and the Mac OS X but sometimes they also do a shit, and then try to convince others it is the best. Also about snow leopard, it is buggy, it will be stable at 10.6.4 or something like that, not early.