Roger Ebert adds to health care debate on iPhone, Mac use

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 147
    Hark, I hear naught but the sound of crickets.
  • Reply 142 of 147
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Hark, I hear naught but the sound of crickets.

Sounds like you have a bad situation and that is unfortunate.

Regardless of which side anyone views the great health care debate, not everyone can or will be helped.

In the end, if everyone had to pass a drug/alcohol test to get on such healthcare/welfare/etc. programs to help people, public support would probably come around.
  • Reply 143 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Sounds like you have a bad situation and that is unfortunate.

Regardless of which side anyone views the great health care debate, not everyone can or will be helped.

In the end, if everyone had to pass a drug/alcohol test to get on such healthcare/welfare/etc. programs to help people, public support would probably come around.

Really. Millions of people are in this "bad situation," many millions more will become so over the next few years, and so (automatically) is anyone who might be thinking about going into business for themselves. It seems many fail to appreciate the magnitude of the problem, or they simply don't care. I can't really tell into which category you fall, but I always try to find who I am talking to in these discussions, because I've found it to be a complete waste of time to discuss this issue with people who don't actually care.

In fact I believe politically this ball could be moved down the court if the lip-service crowd who make most of the opposition noise were separated from those who see and understand the problems, and want them to be solved. Much of the opposition only pretends to want a solution, when in reality, they are not prepared to do anything -- because they really don't care.
  • Reply 144 of 147
    Quote:

Really. Millions of people are in this "bad situation," many millions more will become so over the next few years, and so (automatically) is anyone who might be thinking about going into business for themselves. It seems many fail to appreciate the magnitude of the problem, or they simply don't care. I can't really tell into which category you fall, but I always try to find who I am talking to in these discussions, because I've found it to be a complete waste of time to discuss this issue with people who don't actually care.

In fact I believe politically this ball could be moved down the court if the lip-service crowd who make most of the opposition noise were separated from those who see and understand the problems, and want them to be solved. Much of the opposition only pretends to want a solution, when in reality, they are not prepared to do anything -- because they really don't care.

So what part of what I said are you disagreeing with??

I am simply saying that if passing a drug/alcohol screening was required for these programs, they would most likely be approved and accepted.

In the end, there is no perfect system. There will always be super rich, super poor, middle class, and yada yada yada. Will people be left out that deserve help. Of course. Will it be a travesty. Yes. Unfortunately, this is not the 23rd century where there is no money and Dr. Crusher can cure almost anything. I say that being serious.
  • Reply 145 of 147
    Quote:

So what part of what I said are you disagreeing with?

I am simply saying that if passing a drug/alcohol screening was required for these programs, they would most likely be approved and accepted.

This statement, for one. There's absolutely no evidence to back this up, and plenty to refute it. The insurance industry simply will not accept an expansion of public coverage, no matter how it is couched, and they have plenty of allies in Congress to make certain that they won't have to face this.

Quote:

In the end, there is no perfect system. There will always be super rich, super poor, middle class, and yada yada yada. Will people be left out that deserve help. Of course. Will it be a travesty. Yes. Unfortunately, this is not the 23rd century where there is no money and Dr. Crusher can cure almost anything. I say that being serious.

What is this supposed to mean? Nothing, I presume. The system as it exists is so far from "perfect" that I have to wonder why anyone would even suggest that it might be nothing more than slightly imperfect.

But as I said, I don't bother discussing this issue with people who don't understand that this a huge and growing problem for tens of millions of people and five-alarm threat to our national economic well-being. Do you understand this? I haven't seen any evidence of it. I'm not certain yet, but I think you might be one of those people who simply don't care.
  • Reply 146 of 147
    Quote:

This statement, for one. There's absolutely no evidence to back this up, and plenty to refute it. The insurance industry simply will not accept an expansion of public coverage, no matter how it is couched, and they have plenty of allies in Congress to make certain that they won't have to face this.

What is this supposed to mean? Nothing, I presume. The system as it exists is so far from "perfect" that I have to wonder why anyone would even suggest that it might be nothing more than slightly imperfect.

But as I said, I don't bother discussing this issue with people who don't understand that this a huge and growing problem for tens of millions of people and five-alarm threat to our national economic well-being. Do you understand this? I haven't seen any evidence of it. I'm not certain yet, but I think you might be one of those people who simply don't care.

I was just stating my belief on the current situation. Just because I post up I believe if there were a drug/alcohol screening done to get these benefits does mean I was offering it up as fact. I don't evidence. It is my opinion. I did not cite it as fact. Much like how you believe that if the lip service was cut down it would pass. I am not arguing or picking. I am just stating what I believe would help the programs gain credibility and become accepted.

My views on the perfection of the system were not on the current system Re-read the post. I was stating we will never have a perfect system.

Also, you keep stating you don't bother discussing this issue with people who don't understand the big and growing problem for tens of million five-alarm threat... Take a step back. You are emotionally involved in this and it is bleeding through the screen like a water through a sponge.

Who would want to "discuss" anything with you? I care. But we have to be realistic.
  • Reply 147 of 147
    Quote:

I was just stating my belief on the current situation. Just because I post up I believe if there were a drug/alcohol screening done to get these benefits does mean I was offering it up as fact. I don't evidence. It is my opinion. I did not cite it as fact. Much like how you believe that if the lip service was cut down it would pass. I am not arguing or picking. I am just stating what I believe would help the programs gain credibility and become accepted.

My views on the perfection of the system were not on the current system Re-read the post. I was stating we will never have a perfect system.

Also, you keep stating you don't bother discussing this issue with people who don't understand the big and growing problem for tens of million five-alarm threat... Take a step back. You are emotionally involved in this and it is bleeding through the screen like a water through a sponge.

Who would want to "discuss" anything with you? I care. But we have to be realistic.

I don't need to take any steps back. Perhaps if you understood the problem on a more first hand basis, you wouldn't be trying to discuss it in such weaselly terms as "perfection." Nobody is asking for a perfect system, so this is just an avoidance. We already have plenty of avoidance. Making patently unrealistic suggestions also doesn't help.

Either you care or you don't. Answer the question directly, please, or don't bother responding.