AT&T 3G MicroCell to cost $150, require no monthly fees

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Elaborate scenarios? Are you kidding me? No need to be motivated or savvy, all that is required is common sense. There is no reason to choose the 900 minute plan since Sprint introduced the anytime, anymobile option last week for the 450 minute plan.

Unless you like...use more than 450 minutes? This is like saying "hey, just call at night". Or "don't text, just use IM". Yah...okay.

AT&T has rollover minutes which have saved me a ton of money on those months we go past our 700 plan minutes. So for 3 phones (1 iPhone) we pay $109/month with about 80% of calls to other AT&T wireless customers which is unlimited.

If I wanted unlimited texting we'd be paying $129 a month. On sprint we'd get 1500 minutes vs 700 but we're not using up our plan minutes every month anyway. With rollover we've never been hit with overage fees.

But the bottom line is that the iPhone is simply a better phone than any offered on Sprint.

Quote:

If on the other hand you are just using a flip phone, blackberry, etc. you are probably paying anywhere from $200 to $780 more per year and that is a fact. I thought it was probably a mistake to reply to a person with over 8,000 forum posts. You obviously have far more time on your hands (and expendable money) than I do, so this be my last post. Have fun living in denial, I will be sure to think of you on my next vacation that I take with my $780 in savings.

I'm glad that Sprint is working out for you but for many folks in other regions Sprint is to AT&T what AT&T is to Verizon.

That anymobile thing has a really HUGE loophole that you need to be on a Sprint tower. Given the sprint network is even more spotty than AT&T's that's a big loophole in many parts of the country. There's going to be some unhappy folks hit with some overage fees on that 450 plan.

The only saving grace for Sprint is that they probably have already figured out that most of those minutes are family to family and that usually means to the same network anyway.

Which means that anymobile thing is mostly gimmick anyway. If Sprint stops hemorrhaging customers because of it, then AT&T and Vz will offer it with their plans as well.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Elaborate scenarios? Are you kidding me? No need to be motivated or savvy, all that is required is common sense. There is no reason to choose the 900 minute plan since Sprint introduced the anytime, anymobile option last week for the 450 minute plan. This requires no jumping through hoops. I have no idea what "gotchas" you are referring to since the only limits to calling are 1) landline numbers not included 2) you must be on a Sprint tower. That seems pretty straightforward to me. Sprint has even began advising customers on the 900 minute plan to switch to the 450 minute plan with their website plan optimizer feature for people who tend to make few landline based calls.

Another reason no one would choose the 900 minute plan for $89 is due to the fact that for $10 more you could have unlimited everything with absolutely no limitations whatsoever. You chose that plan for one reason, it compares most favorably to the iPhone plan in price.

If anything, AT&T is far more similar to Dell. They are the ones that fail to include unlimited texting and other add-ons that Sprint include for free. They force you to build a package. Funny how a $39 AT&T plan can quickly turn into $145 a month once you match the unlimited options that Sprint includes for $99.

More than anything you seem to be an apologist trying to justify paying far more for your cell phone service. As a Mac Pro owner, I have done that myself with a friend that built a Core i7 and paid a third as much for comparable speed. I justified my purchase because I hate Windows and want to use OS X. Perhaps you pay more to use an iPhone which I can understand.

If on the other hand you are just using a flip phone, blackberry, etc. you are probably paying anywhere from $200 to $780 more per year and that is a fact. I thought it was probably a mistake to reply to a person with over 8,000 forum posts. You obviously have far more time on your hands (and expendable money) than I do, so this be my last post. Have fun living in denial, I will be sure to think of you on my next vacation that I take with my $780 in savings.

Uh huh. I don't even have AT&T. I just get tired of the endless permutations that Sprint users go through to try and make it look as if AT&T is somehow wildly out of line.

As you know, AT&T charges about what Verizon charges. They both charge what they do because the can get it. They can get it because they have desirable phones, services or coverage.

Sprint is losing customers. They offer some deals because they have to. The "unlimited minutes as long as it's to cell phones and on our networks" is a case in point. It might strike you as a perfectly straightforward deal, but to most folks it comes off as gimmicky and a little desperate.

Like I say, I think it's great that you enjoy your Sprint service, apparently a lot of people do not-- because they can't get the phones they want, because they don't like the customer service, or they're not getting the coverage they need, I can't say, but it's obviously something. They're voting with their feet, and no number of extremely impassioned descriptions of The Savings! The Savings! can change that.

Meanwhile, AT&T is offering the extremely desirable iPhone for rates comparable to Verizon, and between them they have the lion's share of the US cell market, so I guess a great many people aren't as smart as you-- you should probably gloat about them as well the next time you go on vacation, if that's your thing.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    They should pay me to install one of these things, not the other way around.

This device fixes a hole in their network, at a really tiny cost to them compared to actually doing it right and adding a cell site. Charging for these is just adding insult to injury.

Given that it's using my internet bandwidth, and there's a very good chance it won't just be used for my calls, but any ATT customer in the vicinity, I'd have to think very carefully before I considered installing something like this even if they were giving them away for free.

Pay them $150 for it? No way!
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

This device fixes a hole in their network, at a really tiny cost to them compared to actually doing it right and adding a cell site. Charging for these is just adding insult to injury.

Given that it's using my internet bandwidth, and there's a very good chance it won't just be used for my calls, but any ATT customer in the vicinity, I'd have to think very carefully before I considered installing something like this even if they were giving them away for free.

You can limit who can connect to it.

I installed one for someone yesterday, turned out it was faulty and I didn't have time to exchange it.

If they made it free they'd have the problem of people taking them when they don't need it. But I think it's roughly twice what it should cost. At least they had the sense not to charge a monthly fee for it.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I wasn't going to pay a monthly for this as I agree with your premise of why I should I pay monthly for AT&T?s shortcoming. However, I ended up paying $50 after rebate and NO monthly fee. It isn't that bad and bandwidth is cheap and plentiful at my house. Technically I do have a signal at my house?but it isn?t as strong as I like and on occasion voice quality is degraded. So, chalk me and a buddy of mine as two successful installs.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    Works like a champ! Full bars. It will fluctuate a bit but much improved.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Does anyone know if the new MagicJack for cell phones will do the same at the AT&T Microcell? I have iPhone and NO BARS at my home. I just want to talk on my phone at home and do not want to spend an additional $150 to do it.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

Does anyone know if the new MagicJack for cell phones will do the same at the AT&T Microcell? I have iPhone and NO BARS at my home. I just want to talk on my phone at home and do not want to spend an additional $150 to do it.

Get the Skype app for the iPhone. Thats' what I resorted to. It kinda gripes me that I need to pay an extra $3.00 a month (the Skype fee for unlimited US calls) to make phone calls on my iPhone from home but I couldn't figure out an alternative. My wife's Droid Eris phone has nice reception at home but she was tiring of me borrowing her phone all the time.

Do you have a wireless network at home?