Google brings push Gmail to iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google Sync, the service that allows users the ability to sync Gmail contacts and Google Calendar with the iPhone, has been updated to support Gmail as well, bringing push capability to the iPhone. The new feature is also available for the iPod touch and Windows Mobile devices.

"Using Google Sync, you can now get your Gmail messages pushed directly to your phone," the company said on its Mobile blog. "Having an over-the-air, always-on connection means that your inbox is up to date, no matter where you are or what you're doing. Sync works with your phone's native email application so there's no additional software needed. Only interested in syncing your Gmail, but not your Calendar? Google Sync allows you to sync just your Contacts, Calendar, or Gmail, or any combination of the three."

The Google Sync service is available at m.google.com/sync/. Blackberry devices and the Nokia S60 do not yet support push Gmail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I'ts not perfect yet. Older messages take time to show up. on iPhone 3.1 there are issues with multiple calendars.

However, a very good step. Largely appreciated. I will be buying their premium service soon.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've been using a blackberry for years with only gmail accounts and gmail definitely pushes email to my blackberry! Wtf are you talking about?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    OK. It's now easier to sacrifice the battery life after having been using iPhone for awhile. Poof! It isn't good enough anyway
  • Reply 4 of 7
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanus View Post

I've been using a blackberry for years with only gmail accounts and gmail definitely pushes email to my blackberry! Wtf are you talking about?

I was thinking the same thing. I set up a new gmail acct for my gf the other day on her iPod Touch and when she had mail there was a tiny red dot on the OSX Mail icon. How is that not already push?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I set up a new gmail acct for my gf the other day on her iPod Touch and when she had mail there was a tiny red dot on the OSX Mail icon. How is that not already push?

I'm sitting on facebook on my MacBook, my gmail account is linked to notifications.

Every time I get one my iPhone makes a sound and there's another email, immediately.

If you use it you can't use another exchange account.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm sitting on facebook on my MacBook, my gmail account is linked to notifications.

Every time I get one my iPhone makes a sound and there's another email, immediately.

If you use it you can't use another exchange account.

So you're saying you have push but only with one mail server @at?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    I use this and it is pretty good.