USB forum sides with Apple in Palm Pre sync dispute

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    Poor Palm- they could of been a contendah!
  • Reply 42 of 98
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gigawire View Post

Lately, I am finding iTunes more and more annoying with each update.

Little Johnny Sunshine here. Personally, I'm finding it better and better and more and more fascinating. I'm still discovering subtle and large improvements in iTunes 9.

I could suggest improvements, natch, and like another web program I can't do without, gMail, it's not light on resource useage, so the coding is likely saddled with legacy and/or language issues, but I'd be at sea in terms of my media life without it, and it does have rich functionality IMnsHO.

Actually iTunes is the program which made me a switcher - exposing me to Apple's idea of a UI back in 2004 when I was hatin' on the whole clunky WMP interface.

Many posters also continually ding the Win version of iT, but I find the experience on both platforms "radically similar," and have few if any problems on my old XP Pro.

Specifically I'd like to able to better manage the profile of my iPod and what it loads without connecting, or at least without going through the whole resyncing on connection - why can't that info be saved and edited on my computer in advance? I'd also like to preview what and how much is scheduled for syncing as I edit my playlists, since I now have more music in my selected lists than it will hold - including lots of tunes I think I've excluded, but obviously haven't because they get loaded anyway. And having to do an actual sync for each new config of the lists to test is highly time-consuming.

In other words, have the functionality analogous to now being able to set up your screens of apps for your phone or Touch for songs - and without having to do an actual sync, whether the device has to be connected or not.

Tools for rooting out duplicate songs (from having individual albums plus best of collections and some cuts on sound track albums), e.g., would also be a blessing.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    in less than 6 months i predict (for what it's worth) palm and it's os will be bought by nokia or moto

its about the stock value which is getting better for an aquisition.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Specifically I'd like to able to better manage the profile of my iPod and what it loads without connecting, or at least without going through the whole resyncing on connection - why can't that info be saved and edited on my computer in advance?

Create a playlist folder and add the playlists you sync.

Select this playlist folder and look at the bottom of the iTunes screen to see how big it is.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    P: I am suing A. I pretended to be A so that I could hook up with A's wife.

Judge: You are wrong.

Isn't this expected?
  • Reply 46 of 98
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

in less than 6 months i predict (for what it's worth) palm and it's os will be bought by nokia or moto

its about the stock value which is getting better for an aquisition.

Why would Nokia pay money for a headache?

I do think that Palm is trying hard to get noticed and hope for a buyout offer because if no one buy them they will disappear within a year or two. They simply cannot compete with Apple, Blackberry, and Nokia (worldwide). If someone going to buy Palm it will be MS since they both share a common goal. All Palm actions make me think that they are trying to get MS to buy them "Hey look Microsoft! We hate Apple just like you".
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Isn't this expected?

Absolutely.

But not to those screaming "ineroperability!!" Most of these people also think "IP" is what happens after you drink a lot of water.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Quote:

Lately, I am finding iTunes more and more annoying with each update.

And think how EVEN MORE annoying it would be if they had to support every conceivable media playing device out there. Wouldn't more issues arise trying to make sure iTunes is compatible with every device? I'm just sayin'...
  • Reply 49 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why would Nokia pay money for a headache?

The only reason that I can see would be to keep Motorola from acquiring them.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The only reason that I can see would be to keep Motorola from acquiring them.

If I am not mistaken Motorola is trying to sell their handset business.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Palm is just being a hypocrite. They continue to whine about being locked out of iTunes yet they are don't have a problem locking users out of their Pre entirely when they are no longer on Sprint. Figure that?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ctive-service/
  • Reply 52 of 98
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics;148737

In other words, have the functionality analogous to now being able to set up your screens of apps for your phone or Touch for songs - and without having to do an actual sync, whether the device has to be connected or not.[/QUOTE

Tools for rooting out duplicate songs (from having individual albums plus best of collections and some cuts on sound track albums), e.g., would also be a blessing.[/QUOTE]

Unless I don't understand what you're wanting (which is entirely possible) just set up a play list ( named after your iPod) containing only what you want your iPod to have after sync., no?

Look under -file( show duplicates)
  • Reply 53 of 98
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

Isn't this expected?

I love how you "cut to the chase" ...ROFLMAO !
  • Reply 54 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If I am not mistaken Motorola is trying to sell their handset business.

That might explain the android phones.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:

I don't really understand why Apple doesn't license the ability for other devices to interface with iTunes. I don't own an iPod or iPhone because of iTunes. I own the devices because the devices are good, not because of the software they interface with. Lately, I am finding iTunes more and more annoying with each update.

Maybe because it does not directly benefit them.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    Dear Palm,

I would like to run WebOS on my iPhone. Plz release asap.

Thank you.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I don't really understand why Apple doesn't license the ability for other devices to interface with iTunes. I don't own an iPod or iPhone because of iTunes. I own the devices because the devices are good, not because of the software they interface with. Lately, I am finding iTunes more and more annoying with each update.

And what happens when that devices gets upgraded or the company comes out with a new device? Is Apple supposed to update iTunes to recognize the licensed vs non-licensed devices every time a new one comes out? Or what if Apple needs to tweak the database that stores the metadata, playlists, etc? Do they have to have a translater for every device to give it a format it understands? And if there are sync errors, will the customer call Apple or the device manufacturer?

There are reasons Windows is the holy mess it is, and one of those it having to keep it updated to support the universe of things that might get attached to it. Why on Earth would Apple want to get into that business? For what, a noiminal license fee?
  • Reply 58 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That might explain the android phones.

Because no one want to buy their handset division. Motorola handset division is in more trouble than Palm.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Create a playlist folder and add the playlists you sync.

Select this playlist folder and look at the bottom of the iTunes screen to see how big it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newbee

Unless I don't understand what you're wanting (which is entirely possible) just set up a play list ( named after your iPod) containing only what you want your iPod to have after sync., no?

Look under -file( show duplicates)

Bit of a geeky kludge there (the list of selected lists), but eminently workable! Thanks, guys.

And MY name should be Newbee (or more appropriately Clueless) after working with iTunes and helping others do so for years without ever seeing the ever-so-visible Files-->Show duplicates.

D'ohhh.......

• Reply 60 of 98
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    I don't think this has anything to do with Apple not wanting the Palm Pre to sync with iTunes. It's more that Apple doesn't want Palm using Apple's USB vendor ID.

Mark/Space sells software for both Mac and PC that allows the Palm Pre to sync with iTunes and Apple hasn't gone after them.

Why can't Palm write their own sync conduit as well? I don't know why, but to me Palm is just acting like a big baby. Get over it and get to work!