Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Comments

• Reply 201 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YOur insults are soo clever and imaginative. Too bad you have nothing to add of consequence to the thread itself.

Matte is back and Apple's never going back!

You started the insults by calling me "dense."

If you can't take it - and you obviously can't, given your thin skin, as you have repeatedly shown with lots of people in this forum - don't dish it out.
  • Reply 202 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Most users here. Most users over on MacRumors perhaps. most users in the whole market, probably not

And the WINNER with the longest Post award 2009! Charlituna!

You'll need to wait a few weeks to claim your prize....
  • Reply 203 of 486
    Quote:

Let me ask you -Why is APple selling matte screens on the 17 " Pro- NOW?

Why did they quietly add matte to the 15" Pro - NOW?

You just answered your own question.

Apple offers matte screen on a MINORITY of their screen products because a MINORITY of their customers want it.
  • Reply 204 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

And because it can run every OS on the planet and do so faster and better than the other guys... It is everything we want and need.

As your friend I must ask to put down the kool aid.

Call a cab and go home, you've had to much.
  • Reply 205 of 486
    Quote:

My god- you're relentless. Thank god it's just not me.

You have seven posts between 8.52PM and 9.21PM.

Do you even know the meaning of the word 'relentless?' I thought not.
  • Reply 206 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

As your friend I must ask to put down the kool aid.

Call a cab and go home, you've had to much.

Can you see the red smile from there?
  • Reply 207 of 486
    The new mobile i7, Clarksfield, would work great in the iMac. But there are only three of them, they're expensive processors, and no integrated graphics work with them. That would really limit Apple's flexibility to offer different models, especially a cheap model.
  • Reply 208 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The new mobile i7, Clarksfield, would work great in the iMac. But there are only three of them, they're expensive processors, and no integrated graphics work with them. That would really limit Apple's flexibility to offer different models, especially a cheap model.

It would need to fill an i7 on a laptop type platform and that has been done. nVidia GTX280m works fine with the i7's. Sager NP9280 laptop comes i7, right now in fact.

Come to think of it that really would make true the "facts" about the upgrade we are hearing. GTX280m 512mb/1gb DDR3 is the current offerings for i7 based laptops...

The iMac will probably go chin-less, thin edges and a thicker back with a taper to hold everything.
  • Reply 209 of 486
    Quote:

Actually, the mid-range Clarksfield chip is about the same price as the current Core 2 Duo's in the current iMacs. If anything, the Clarksfield processors are remarkably good performers at a reasonable price.

And... at the moment, considering the dispute between Intel and Nvidia... the only integrated graphics chip you'll be able to get in an Intel machine, will be from Intel themselves. I'm not sure if you're aware... but Intel graphics are far behind the competition. I'm not really sure you'd want an integrated Intel graphics chip. I certainly don't. I'd much rather have a speedier discrete GPU from Nvidia.
  • Reply 210 of 486
    Quote:

They could put the mobile i7 on the top model (24" or 30"). The higher end iMacs have NVIDIA GPU anyway so doesn't really matter if no Intel integrated GPU works with the mobile i7.

And please bring back matte screen... one of the reason I still haven't get rid of my Core DUO 1st gen Intel iMac 20". Blu-ray will be nice since I have a few HD movies now for my HT (or at least give us an OSX update w/ Blu-ray drive support). Offer these 2 as order-to-build options is fine but please do make it happens

I really hope Apple will offer one w/ mobile i7 on board. Yes, not many apps will benefit by it at the moment but I'm one of those who keep a Mac/PC for more than a couple of years. I guess the next round of update of popular apps like Photoshop CS, etc. will make good use of multi-cores CPUs. So, something that can last a bit longer is fine by me.

BTW, I don't quite get the fetish on ever thinner/slimmer iMac/PC. On a laptop/netbook/tablet, yes, slimmer and lighter are better but on a desktop machine like the iMac? Who care? The current iMac form factor and size is fine IMHO. In fact, I think the size of my white 20" iMac is just fine thank you very much.
  • Reply 211 of 486
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

The "M" series have low enough TDP to work in an iMac. Mobile CPU's they are but that's a high Thermal load to work with in the MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 212 of 486
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Actually, the mid-range Clarksfield chip is about the same price as the current Core 2 Duo's in the current iMacs. If anything, the Clarksfield processors are remarkably good performers at a reasonable price.

And... at the moment, considering the dispute between Intel and Nvidia... the only integrated graphics chip you'll be able to get in an Intel machine, will be from Intel themselves. I'm not sure if you're aware... but Intel graphics are far behind the competition. I'm not really sure you'd want an integrated Intel graphics chip. I certainly don't. I'd much rather have a speedier discrete GPU from Nvidia.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. Integrated graphics have very poor performance compared to even a modest or low end discrete graphics solution. They share slower system ram, and general blow chunks compared to their discrete counterparts, not to put too fine a point on it.
  • Reply 213 of 486
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

They could put the mobile i7 on the top model (24" or 30"). The higher end iMacs have NVIDIA GPU anyway so doesn't really matter if no Intel integrated GPU works with the mobile i7.

And please bring back matte screen... one of the reason I still haven't get rid of my Core DUO 1st gen Intel iMac 20". Blu-ray will be nice since I have a few HD movies now for my HT (or at least give us an OSX update w/ Blu-ray drive support). Offer these 2 as order-to-build options is fine but please do make it happens

I really hope Apple will offer one w/ mobile i7 on board. Yes, not many apps will benefit by it at the moment but I'm one of those who keep a Mac/PC for more than a couple of years. I guess the next round of update of popular apps like Photoshop CS, etc. will make good use of multi-cores CPUs. So, something that can last a bit longer is fine by me.

BTW, I don't quite get the fetish on ever thinner/slimmer iMac/PC. On a laptop/netbook/tablet, yes, slimmer and lighter are better but on a desktop machine like the iMac? Who care? The current iMac form factor and size is fine IMHO. In fact, I think the size of my white 20" iMac is just fine thank you very much.

Agree. Time spent trying to make a stationary desktop unit thinner is wasted development cycles IMO. It is already pleasing in form..I hope they concentrate more on performance features.
  • Reply 214 of 486
    Speaking of chips... Apple did purchase a chip design company. Maybe they have something to show off and that's the big news that apparently isn't 'authorized' to be let out.

One reason I love these forums... I actually thought people were wrong that the back of the current iMacs were black plastic. I was a little embarrassed to peek back there and realize, for the first time, how not-exactly-beautiful the rear end is.

Well, maybe Apple will carve the next one out of a solid block of aluminum as well. And this time they''ll remember to color-match the cables and keys.
  • Reply 215 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

I hope there will be an Intel i5 750 or (preferably) an i7 860.

<snip>

I'd like to know who's been talking to Apple about the need for a thinner enclosure. I really can't imagine that the numbers asking for that aren't a slim fraction of the numbers wanting a DESKTOP quad processor and better video card.

Apple really wants to make the computer invisible. They simply don't think of it as a speed comparison to others. They want to provide the star-trek experience And generally as they define the whole experience they can get away with providing the hardware they want.

But for people wanting a faster option - particularly for video editing - Macs become VERY expensive.

Quote:

Why not just make a Mac Pro Mini - with a mini aluminum enclosure with the opportunity for owners to make some hardware upgrades instead of being sealed off like most Apple products.

I agree actually. Or a MacMini Pro

They could potentially abandon the current MacMini and go for a cube-like device with faster processor etc.

Quote:

You'd think Apple would want to exploit Snow Leopard's Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL with new, capable hardware -- at the consumer level.

I suspect OpenCL is their key technology in the consumer space, and in conjunction with an updated iMovie will be able to compile movies more quickly too.

I would like a faster machine without the extra cost though (who wouldn't?)
  • Reply 216 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

The "M" series have low enough TDP to work in an iMac. Mobile CPU's they are but that's a high Thermal load to work with in the MacBook Pro's.

People keep saying this, but take a look at the new 15-inch HP Envy... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html

If HP can manage the TDP, why can't Apple? The HP Envy even looks like a Macbook Pro... not to mention, you get an i7 quad-core Clarksfield inside, and at well under $2K.
  • Reply 217 of 486
    Really pleased to hear that the iMac is getting a refresh, a bit surprised it's so soon after the previous iMac's got released in March.

What would make me buy one is:

(1) LED Backlit Panel

(2) Blu-ray Drive

and these are optional but would be great to have:

(1) Quad-Core or Dual-Core with HT

(2) New refreshed Keyboard (backlit, black keys)

(3) New refreshed Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 218 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

People keep saying this, but take a look at the new 15-inch HP Envy... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html

If HP can manage the TDP, why can't Apple? The HP Envy even looks like a Macbook Pro... not to mention, you get an i7 quad-core Clarksfield inside, and at well under $2K.

True and with how piss-poor PC engineers are with cooling systems I guess they could do it.

It's not available yet but you make a valid point, very valid.

Something that crossed my head (since the sleeping pills are on 2hrs and WORKING) the new iMac could go Unibody 100% to decrease depth and increase thermal handling.
  • Reply 219 of 486
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Oh, I think it's pretty clear what they are saying. The average American is dumb and can't figure out that a $1500 computer is better than a $300 netbook if it looks all pretty and has a big shiny Apple logo on it.

Please, even my mother-in-law and grandmother can read the spec card on a display and are able to compare one computer to another and if there is something they don't understand, they know enough to ask someone who is knowledgeable and have them help them buy the "better" computer.

Man, when you decide someone is "against you" you really kinda lose your shit, don't you?

So you think people who buy Apple's wares are stupid, you have nothing but contempt for anyone who thinks otherwise, yet here you are, posting angrily on an Apple enthusiast site.

I would urge you to figure out what you like, even love, and think about that. Talk to people who share your interests. It's really a better way to live. Goodbye.
  • Reply 220 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Whatever Apple does, JUST GET RID OF THE MIRRORED/GLOSSY SCREENS. PLEASE!!

Or, at the very least, offer matte as an option. AND OFFER IT AS A REAL SCREEN, not some tack-on film.

I'll be buying at least two iMacs once non-mirrored screens are available again.

Amen!