2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As I answered you previously:

Well you do get what you pay for.

<blah blah blah>

I don't read the forum enough to see all responses to my posts.

A $100 unit is fine for people who are looking for basic functionality with some of the basic benefits the TomTom cradle offers the iPhone (e.g. a mounting solution, improved GPS reception). GPS reception is excellent on most stand-alone GPS units regardless of price range. But the $100 point I made was not my entire point by any means.

Converted to American dollars this is looking something like $250. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending on how TomTom prices the docking solution for the iPhone. For that much money you can buy an excellent stand-alone Garmin, or some other GPS which blows any TomTom offering right out of the water (not dissin' TomTom here, just being realistic. I've been using a TomTom for a long time now). You also don't have to worry about how you're going to handle phone calls (probably a big deal for most people who are interested in a GPS in this price range), gives you a bigger easier to use screen, your iPhone is free for other purposes, and isn't subject to the wear and tear or potential temperatures of being mounted on your dashboard.

If TomTom wanted to be serious about this they should have taken advantage of the drastically reduced hardware costs associated with such a unit. Instead they've pushed the buck more than any other company I can think of producing a GPS app for the iPhone. I'm not saying there's no value in their offering--the value of their offering is just insufficient.

If I'm going to pay a premium price, I'm content to get more from a nice Garmin unit. And, mentioned again, anybody with half a brain can get an excellent discount on stand-alone GPS units with a little patience and internet research.

"Well you do get what you pay for," you say.

I sure don't think you do with the TomTom and mount combo.

Well, unless showing off your iPhone has an some kind of twisted inherent value.

Now if TomTom were to actually offer some serious cool enhancements to their GPS software which take advantage of the iPhone and its data connection in unique and innovative ways, while at the same time offering the most important features of high-end GPS solutions (they're still playing catchup in far too many areas) I can climb on board with a premium price. I'm not just convinced how far they're going to push this opportunity. They've been a laggard in the GPS community for a while.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Most of the hardware is being provided by the iPhone.

I think it would be more practical (and cheaper?) to just buy a stand-alone unit, pair the iPhone with it through BT and use the two units that way, especially if you're a 2+ car family.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I don't read the forum enough to see all responses to my posts.

A $100 unit is fine for people who are looking for basic functionality with some of the basic benefits the TomTom cradle offers the iPhone (e.g. a mounting solution, improved GPS reception). GPS reception is excellent on most stand-alone GPS units regardless of price range. But the $100 point I made was not my entire point by any means.

Converted to American dollars this is looking something like $250. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending on how TomTom prices the docking solution for the iPhone. For that much money you can buy an excellent stand-alone Garmin, or some other GPS which blows any TomTom offering right out of the water (not dissin' TomTom here, just being realistic. I've been using a TomTom for a long time now). You also don't have to worry about how you're going to handle phone calls (probably a big deal for most people who are interested in a GPS in this price range), gives you a bigger easier to use screen, your iPhone is free for other purposes, and isn't subject to the wear and tear or potential temperatures of being mounted on your dashboard.

If TomTom wanted to be serious about this they should have taken advantage of the drastically reduced hardware costs associated with such a unit. Instead they've pushed the buck more than any other company I can think of producing a GPS app for the iPhone. I'm not saying there's no value in their offering--the value of their offering is just insufficient.

If I'm going to pay a premium price, I'm content to get more from a nice Garmin unit. And, mentioned again, anybody with half a brain can get an excellent discount on stand-alone GPS units with a little patience and internet research.

"Well you do get what you pay for," you say.

I sure don't think you do with the TomTom and mount combo.

Well, unless showing off your iPhone has an some kind of twisted inherent value.

Now if TomTom were to actually offer some serious cool enhancements to their GPS software which take advantage of the iPhone and its data connection in unique and innovative ways, while at the same time offering the most important features of high-end GPS solutions (they're still playing catchup in far too many areas) I can climb on board with a premium price. I'm not just convinced how far they're going to push this opportunity. They've been a laggard in the GPS community for a while.

As a TomTom G0300 owner, I know it's old, and an owner of the new iPhone TomTom app, I completely agree with you. I hedged a bet that TomTom will come out with software features to catch up and I also liked the idea of the GPS mount/cradle that they had demo'd at MacWorld. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think I put my money on the wrong horse in this race. If they take as long updating this app the same they did coming out with it, it's going to be a long wait. I seem to remember a time almost 1 1/2 years ago when people were saying TomTom had an app ready for the iPhone, then nothing. I don't know, I made my bed so I guess I'll have to wait and see how much they charge in the US for this and cross fingers they update the app quicker than I anticipate.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

A... TomTom apologist?

Nope. Never used one. Don't currently have a need for one. Just trying to bring a little balance. Not everyone buys the cheapest version of a thing they want. If that was the case we'd all be buying PCs instead of Macs, right?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Nope. Never used one. Don't currently have a need for one. Just trying to bring a little balance. Not everyone buys the cheapest version of a thing they want. If that was the case we'd all be buying PCs instead of Macs, right?

You've completely missed the point. It's not about cheap, it's about cheap shit for a premium price.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Whats amazing to me, is how many people responding, (like those that insist google does the same thing) have NO clue what a complete GPS system does. The other thing many don't understand, is the tom tom hardware base is NOT just a cheap plastic base. It has an internal sirf GPS chip that is MUCH more powerful than the gps chip that is in the iPhone. Plus, it has a charger built in that keeps the iphone charged, along with a much louder speaker than what is in the iphone.

Now, all of this said, I will probably not be purchasing one, since I have a 1st gen touch, a blackberry that has the Garmin GPS app on it, and a garmin standalone unit that I mainly use for my long distance GPS system. If I were to ever get an iPhone, more than likely, I would definitely consider this TomTom package. (but would expect the app to be included with the base, like any normal sane human being).
  • Reply 27 of 40
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As I answered you previously:

Well you do get what you pay for.

No...at most you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Based on folks I would trust more than somebody that has never even seen one, it would appear that stand-alones are on there way out. Certainly, without a data connection, even the highest end GPS units aren't going to be able to match what TomTom is offering.

Except that Navigon will match what TomTom is offering for less and has text to speech. No TTS and you certainly are NOT a high end GPS offering. I also don't believe that the app or dock will support BT stereo A2DP to the car.

Frankly the window is somewhat small for the TomTom dock. Cars are getting more and more iPod support even on the cheaper cars like the Honda FIT. I would expect that many cars will integrate their in-car nav systems (and better GPS + dead reckoning) with the iPhone.

Quote:

If all you are going to do is use your GPS to tell you were you are and how to get to where you are going, you could save your $100 by just listening to your wife.

Putting out $260 for a unit that is probably going to suffice for at least 3 years or more, to save 15¢ a day seems like a rather chintzy amount.

After three years, Tom Tom probably expects you to update the maps at least once for $75. The "current" map isn't very new and the POIs a bit out of date.

I'd rather get a dedicated GPS unit that will do TTS and not STOP WORKING WHEN I TAKE A CALL and use my iPhone as a backup GPS or something I use in someone else's car.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

That's a pretty foolish argument. If you are buying an iPhone soley for the purpose of using the TomTom software and hardare, then you deserve to get screwed out of your money. Nobody is going to say, "wow, I'd like to use TomTom, I need to go buy an iPhone." And if you already own an iPhone, it's not even "sunk costs". That implies you spent the money for the purpose of getting the TomTom unit and aren't using the iPhone for anything else other than the TomTom unit.

Who said anything about buying an iPhone just to use TomTom? But, when doing comparisons of pricing and features, if you include the features provided only by the iphone as part of the value equation, then it is only fair to include the cost. You cannot have the features provided by the iPhone without having paid the cost of the iPhone. Those 'extra' features did not come free.

It would be fair to look at what value does the ~$250 combo get you, over and above a stand alone unit.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_matalino View Post

Tomtom is alienating their base. No wonder Navigon is #1 in gross sales and Tomtom is #14 (and tomtom is more expensive!). Shame on tomtom...

They're not alienating their base, they're covering their butt. This pricing decision is meant to make the TomTom hardware option look more attractive. They would have been better served not even offering this product... and hope the iPhone never catches on!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They're not alienating their base, they're covering their butt. This pricing decision is meant to make the TomTom hardware option look more attractive.

But in doing so, they also make Garmin hardware look attractive to a person narked at the gouging price.

Anyone with a phone that has GPS and runs java apps should check out:

http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/index.php
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It would be fair to look at what value does the ~$250 combo get you, over and above a stand alone unit.

Listen, they have messed up, firstly they have alienated everyone against TomTom, they are basically charging £99 for a piece of plastic, considering you can buy a DVD player now for £30 and a sat nav for £60 with the cradle they have lost their minds. There are nav apps already available for the iphone, it is only a matter of time before chinese manufacturers start advertising cradles on Ebay for £10. Instead of cornering the market TomTom has created one.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Not stated in the press release is whether the iPod touch will be compatible with the hardware kit. The windshield mount includes an external GPS receiver that is said to improve the reception of the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Good thing you upgraded from the iPhone 2G to the 3GS to get that GPS receiver, so you can now buy a $160 external GPS receiver to use with it.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

Very true. Glad someone here has a little sense

£100 cradle + £60 app = £160. Seems like a perfectly reasonable and average price for a GPS system. You can get cheaper ones, if you want a cheaper one, get one of those. You can also get more expensive ones, if you want lots of features, get one of those.

Honestly, what were you guys expecting to pay...?

It's far from reasonable, it's a scam pure and simple. You can buy a full TomTom GPS, with screen, mount, software, etc for £100. £160 for the iPhone app + mount, remembering that most of the hardware needed YOU ALREADY OWN it's utterly absurd. To make matters worse it ties up the dock connector meaning FM transmitters won't work anymore, so no music through the car stereo. (unless you have an aux in port)

No wonder other GPS apps are outselling TomTom on the app store. This is destined for failure.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wallymcgoo View Post

Listen, they have messed up, firstly they have alienated everyone against TomTom, they are basically charging £99 for a piece of plastic, considering you can buy a DVD player now for £30 and a sat nav for £60 with the cradle they have lost their minds. There are nav apps already available for the iphone, it is only a matter of time before chinese manufacturers start advertising cradles on Ebay for £10. Instead of cornering the market TomTom has created one.

hey, I agree with you.

It just gets under my skin when the same apologists come on and defend any action taken by Apple partners. The same people defend the carrier incompetence and prices. With TomTom being the GPS app that is being prompted by Apple, it seems that no matter what moves they make, these same people will defend them. TomTom could have priced the app at $300 and the kit at $300 and these same people would come on here and say:

"But look at what the iPhone + kit + app can do that a stand alone can't...it really is a good value"

"You are all cheap whiners who want everything for free. If you think it is overpriced you are just cheap"

"You get what you pay for. Since they are charging so much, that means it must be good...that's just good logic"

They honestly seem incapable of understanding that iPhone users don't always feel the need to get reamed on pricing. Sometimes, even though we like premium products, we still want good value.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

hey, I agree with you.

It just gets under my skin when the same apologists come on and defend any action taken by Apple partners. The same people defend the carrier incompetence and prices. With TomTom being the GPS app that is being prompted by Apple, it seems that no matter what moves they make, these same people will defend them. TomTom could have priced the app at $300 and the kit at $300 and these same people would come on here and say:

"But look at what the iPhone + kit + app can do that a stand alone can't...it really is a good value"

"You are all cheap whiners who want everything for free. If you think it is overpriced you are just cheap"

"You get what you pay for. Since they are charging so much, that means it must be good...that's just good logic"

They honestly seem incapable of understanding that iPhone users don't always feel the need to get reamed on pricing. Sometimes, even though we like premium products, we still want good value.

You are wrong, I am an apple "apologist" so to speak, and look at what I wrote above. And I am not alone. Most of us are thrilled with apple and write lauding comments but when something is wrong we are the harshest critics. That's the same mentality for people working within apple as well, they are 100% behind apple but are also the most astute critics. That's how successful companies are made, you back the company 100% but when a problem arises you are vocally critical so ast to close up on the potential problem at hand, resolve it and move on.

Others of course follow the strategy of paying billions of dollars to get their ad agencies issue ads made on a mac (or shoe store adds that get axed after three days) or issuing promotional material of products with their screens not displaying full words such as "marketplace" without the last e getting chopped off.

And of course there's that other masterful tactic of inciting creepy Tupperware type private parties at the launch of a product.

To each his own.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post

Good thing you upgraded from the iPhone 2G to the 3GS to get that GPS receiver, so you can now buy a $160 external GPS receiver to use with it.

Haha

I bought the TomTom app the morning it came out and it has worked fine for me in every way. It has not frozen, the speakerphone is loud enough, and the GPS antenna is pretty accurate. You're right, theres no reason to buy the dock for its GPS enhancements. The only thing I see that I like is the fact that it mounts to the windshield and charges itself, which I could find cheaper alternatives to charging my iPhone in my car as I use the GPS.

This is ridiculous! I was thinking maybe $50 for the dock after I spent $99 on the app. I just can't see spending more than $50 for a suction cup and batter charger.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

This is ridiculous! I was thinking maybe $50 for the dock after I spent $99 on the app. I just can't see spending more than $50 for a suction cup and batter charger.

And just for a heads up these go for $15 at ebay from hong kong, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, some of them decent looking actually, and to my experience they function just fine.

Actually I was holding off buying another one just to get a better deal from tom tom plus the app. And like yourself there's not chance I am shelling out that much money.

But don't worry folks, they'll drop this price very very soon.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You are wrong, I am an apple "apologist" so to speak, and look at what I wrote above. And I am not alone. Most of us are thrilled with apple and write lauding comments but when something is wrong we are the harshest critics. That's the same mentality for people working within apple as well, they are 100% behind apple but are also the most astute critics. That's how successful companies are made, you back the company 100% but when a problem arises you are vocally critical so ast to close up on the potential problem at hand, resolve it and move on.

Others of course follow the strategy of paying billions of dollars to get their ad agencies issue ads made on a mac (or shoe store adds that get axed after three days) or issuing promotional material of products with their screens not displaying full words such as "marketplace" without the last e getting chopped off.

And of course there's that other masterful tactic of inciting creepy Tupperware type private parties at the launch of a product.

To each his own.

Huh?

So, you don't think there are people here arguing that this is a reasonable priced unit? You don't think there are people here saying that if you think TomTom is overpricing their offerings then you are just complaining?

I think you must have misread my post. Or you think I am wrong, and you agree with the pricing the TomTom has gone with. Also, you might think I am wrong and believe that there is no one here saying it is wrong to criticize TomTom/Apple?

BTW, I did not say that all Apple fans were apologists or that all apologists were always wrong. I am generally one myself. But, there are apologists here that will never have a negative remark for Apple or their partners nor stand for anyone that has a harsh word for them.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    I've owned several GPS units...

Currently using a base model TomTom (130s) which I bought for $75 new on a clearance a few months back.

I'm so disappointed in TT with this announcement. If I ever would want to get a iPhone GPS app, I'll just buy the Navigon app. Bye bye TomTom.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Truly that's all I need. I got a standalone GPS, but want a GPS module for the Touch so I can use the GPS enabled golf scorecard apps.

And I don't want to jailbreak it...unless necessary.

That TomTom is a ripoff.