Intel releases Core i7 'Clarksfield' mobile processors

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

"...Besides blowing cash on Clarksfield laptops for the CPU is just stupid, I think, the GPU IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS. A Core2Duo Penryn at 2.6ghz or so is more than enough..."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You DO realize that some of us do more than play games with our macs? Clarksfield would be a useful thing for some of those things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Meh. Gaming is useful!

Seriously though, good for CPU progress but I hope people don't get steamrolled by the Intel marketing machine, and have some awareness of the usefulness other components. Particularly with OpenCL, CUDA..."

My Core 2 Duo MacBook just finished exporting an 18 minute HD video I was working on... it only took 6 hours to export

Apple just released a new version of Final Cut a few months ago... so I think its going to be a while/ take time to re-write it in OpenCL to take advantage of the GPU.

I need a mobile, Pro video editing laptop to give Final Cut some more power... and Core 2 Duo just doesn't cut it (pun intended). I won't buy another MacBook "Pro" until it comes with at least 4 cores.
  • Reply 82 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

My Core 2 Duo MacBook just finished exporting an 18 minute HD video I was working on... it only took 6 hours to export

Apple just released a new version of Final Cut a few months ago... so I think its going to be a while/ take time to re-write it in OpenCL to take advantage of the GPU.

I need a mobile, Pro video editing laptop to give Final Cut some more power... and Core 2 Duo just doesn't cut it (pun intended). I won't buy another MacBook "Pro" until it comes with at least 4 cores.

Yeah for video you want some raw power. Which means Arrandale quadcore (not Clarksfield, TDP still too high AFAIK).

Intel has hit a bit of a wall with their tech from desktop CPUstrickling down to push things past Core2Duo mobile. Maybe they were too focused on Core i7 that they could have devoted more resources instead to the mobile market which is starting to take over the desktop in terms of market share. Perhaps instead of Core i7 and scaling down, could they have developed an architecture which would then simultaneously scale up for desktop, but importantly, scale down easily to quadcore/8 thread mobile CPUs at Core2Duo TDPs.

We'll have to see with Arrandale anyways.

I know it will be frustrating for video users with the current state of CPU power in laptops for at least 6 months before Arrandale.

It takes time, things were pretty shabby with Core[1] Duo when it first came out, compared to the much, much cooler and more powerful Penryns we have now.

Now is the time to take it from Penryn to Arrandale and hopefully have doubling of CPU power at similar or lower temps. Tough one for Intel to pull off in 6 months, things could go wrong.

As for OpenCL, the thing is that if you could use the GPU you'd find video encoding blazingly fast, as initial CUDA/ ATI Stream tests have shown. More speed than Arrandale would even offer.

Advancements need to be made (with all due respect to the rapid pace of progress we sometimes take for granted) in both the software and hardware areas.

If Apple could rewrite certain parts of Final Cut Pro to OpenCL within 6 months, Even a Core2Duo 2.4ghz Penryn MacBook Pro with 9600M GT would see some major, badass boosts in encoding speed.