Review: WiFi-enabled Eye-Fi Geo SD card tags Places for iPhoto

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I thought the EyeFi just did the transfer (which I'm not actually interested in), not the Geolocation.

So looking that up... there is an EyeFi Geo which does the geolocation. Thanks

Woah, I was confused here, I didn't realise you wanted geolocation. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Thank you for the review.

I wanted to get this out quickly, as people are reading this review.

If any of our cards (not just the Geo card) find the Mac or PC on, and the Eye-Fi Card and the Mac/PC are on the same network, the images WILL NOT go through our servers. If the Mac/PC is off, and you chose Local uploads only, AND you chose to enable Relayed Uploads, the card will upload to our servers, and then, next time that you turn on your Mac/PC, the media will downsync from our servers to the PC/Mac.

If you're away from home, and you've enabled only local uploads from the card, and you've also enabled Relayed Uploads, the images will go through our servers, and then down to your Mac/PC. Whenever the Eye-Fi Service confirms that the media was received, it will be erased from our servers.

Now, if you DO NOT want the media to ever hit our servers, just set the card to upload locally only, and disable Relayed Uploads. If the Mac/PC is on -- the media will upload. If the Mac/PC is off, the media will not upload.

Thanks --

Ziv.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I posted a correction to the review. Please check it out.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought the regular EyeFi offers a way to save directly to a folder in a local computer, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it would be appropriate for this version to require uploading to a site only to download it again down the same pipe, WiFi is slow enough, why throttle it yet again? I should get a regular EyeFi, I don't need nationwide hotspot access anyway, I just need to have convenient and automatic uploading to my computer in my workspace. I usually only need to take a very few shots at a time, I'm hoping a regular EyeFi would be able to finish uploading them to my computer when I sit down at said computer.

Yup, please see my correction... In case of the Eye-Fi Geo, the photos could upload straight to the computer, w/o having to ever go through Eye-Fi's servers. With other cards, that support video as well (our 4GB cards) -- it would be the same behavior with videos....

thx
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nli10 View Post

My phone does this and it seems to work better than the stand alone cards. Guess it's just a matter of time until the Camera manufacturers build this into fun cameras as standard.

Actually, take a look at what's happening in the industry -- Nikon has 5 DSLR's that are Eye-Fi Connected, Canon has 1, Casio has implemented Eye-Fi Connected functionality into most of their cameras, and Sanyo has several camcorder models with rich GUI for Eye-Fi. There are many more Eye-Fi Connected models than just Wi-Fi enabled models.

Thx --

Ziv.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

What???? That card doesn't have a gps chip in it? Only skyhook?

This is a big problem, generaly when I take photos there is no wifi. When your fishing, skiing, visit some cool tourist area there is no wifi all around.

When I see first that card can do geo tag I was excited because I said to me wow, I can now choose the camera I want and put this eyef. Card in the camera and I have all my photo geotag wherever I am (deep in the forest or on the top of a mountain)

without a real gps in it this card is not relevant for geo tag for sure

Understood, but please know that 80% of photos are taken indoor and around town, where there is urban Wi-Fi.

Thx --

Ziv.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    The weakest point of the Eye-Fi, its lousy web-based software, has been retired and replaced by a proper app which works like a charm.

I would also like to mention that I had to deal with Eye-Fi's customer support (turns out my first generation card had become defective) and they were absolutely top-notch.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    very interesting option.