10.7 Predictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Good catch. I didn't think that through; especially the 1GB minimum requirement. Thanks.

I think with the current prices of memory, all new Macs (even the Mac Mini) will be shipping with 4GB or more by the time 10.7 ships.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    I've had experiences with Mac OS X upgrades from Tiger to Leopard and then most recently to Snow Leopard. This latest upgrade to SL has been the crappiest user experience with programs no longer working and printers no longer printing. Parallels 3.0 no longer supported and printing on HP printers problematic.

Still a far cry from the MSFT experience, but it sure did feel like Snow Leopard gave users what I imagine was a near-Vista-like upgrade.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFSwitcher View Post

I've had experiences with Mac OS X upgrades from Tiger to Leopard and then most recently to Snow Leopard. This latest upgrade to SL has been the crappiest user experience with programs no longer working and printers no longer printing. Parallels 3.0 no longer supported and printing on HP printers problematic.

Still a far cry from the MSFT experience, but it sure did feel like Snow Leopard gave users what I imagine was a near-Vista-like upgrade.

Parallels screwed up with Leopard Server support they claimed. I know this one personally.

HP printing issues are not with Apple but with what they choose to help with CUPS [Apple now owns, but which covers all of FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, etc]. The issue resides with HP, not CUPS. The CUPS 1.4 API is public and has been worked on for two years.

Application Developers have had over 12 months to get ready.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Parallels screwed up with Leopard Server support they claimed. I know this one personally.

HP printing issues are not with Apple but with what they choose to help with CUPS [Apple now owns, but which covers all of FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, etc]. The issue resides with HP, not CUPS. The CUPS 1.4 API is public and has been worked on for two years.

Application Developers have had over 12 months to get ready.

Yes, these are definitely not Apple's fault. CUPS has been around for ten years in the Gnu/UNIX/Linux world and HP should have been on top of it helping the open source community write drivers for their hardware.

I would like to know why Vonage's SoftPhone app for Mac doesn't work with 10.6 (the app runs, but calls cannot be established). The app has not been updated since 10.2 and therefore (obviously) needs Rosetta. Have any old APIs been deprecated in 10.6 that might be called on by SoftPhone? I'm not blaming Apple, as there is no excuse for Vonage not updating SoftPhone, which has been flaky at least since 10.4. I can't remember whether the crashing started with 10.3 or 10.4, but I think it was 10.4. It may have been when I switched from PPC to Intel hardware.

As for a "near-Vista-like upgrade," I had the easiest upgrade experience ever in going to 10.6. The only problems I've had are that SoftPhone is now useless and my Vodaphone USB stick only works with the 32-bit kernel.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Slightly out on a limb and it's been said before in a few places, but does anyone else out there think that it would be possible for Grand Central to further offload processing to Xgrid?

Done properly it should look very similar (to developers) as the current method of "passing threads off" to GCD, or else be completely, invisibly integrated into the GCD setup.

This, of course, would provide the same push behind grid computing as is now behind multithreading.

I really hope Apple does things in this space.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lion

/s'obvious

I think it will the name of the last version of OS X.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

Slightly out on a limb and it's been said before in a few places, but does anyone else out there think that it would be possible for Grand Central to further offload processing to Xgrid?

Done properly it should look very similar (to developers) as the current method of "passing threads off" to GCD, or else be completely, invisibly integrated into the GCD setup.

This, of course, would provide the same push behind grid computing as is now behind multithreading.

I really hope Apple does things in this space.

As a Service, yes. Via integration? No.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Yes, these are definitely not Apple's fault. CUPS has been around for ten years in the Gnu/UNIX/Linux world and HP should have been on top of it helping the open source community write drivers for their hardware.

I would like to know why Vonage's SoftPhone app for Mac doesn't work with 10.6 (the app runs, but calls cannot be established). The app has not been updated since 10.2 and therefore (obviously) needs Rosetta. Have any old APIs been deprecated in 10.6 that might be called on by SoftPhone? I'm not blaming Apple, as there is no excuse for Vonage not updating SoftPhone, which has been flaky at least since 10.4. I can't remember whether the crashing started with 10.3 or 10.4, but I think it was 10.4. It may have been when I switched from PPC to Intel hardware.

As for a "near-Vista-like upgrade," I had the easiest upgrade experience ever in going to 10.6. The only problems I've had are that SoftPhone is now useless and my Vodaphone USB stick only works with the 32-bit kernel.

Quite a few APIs have been deprecated. I'd be interested in seeing just exactly what low level Networking APIs that application still depends upon. You should contact Vonage and inquire about it.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    I think 10.7 should have no aqua interface because it is getting kind of old. I think they should let you chose your themes like on windows and should be cross platform to work on Mac and Windows which may never happen but it could be a possibility. I think that it should have a way to chose the style of your dock because I am bored of the dock that is default on Mac OSX 10.1 to 10.6.1.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The thing is that up to now they have chosen names for animals that actually exist ... not too sure about "Clouded Leopard" or " Sky Leopard", but what about Cheetah? ... The fastest cat of them all!

I would love that as a cat name. I think Sky Leopard would be funny. But cloud leopard sounds cool
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

but what about Cheetah? ... The fastest cat of them all!

What about Cheetah? It was the name of Mac OS 10.0
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

What about Cheetah? It was the name of Mac OS 10.0

And was the slowest cat.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Additional improvements that only the Mac Pro can really take advantage of.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Another prediction, perhaps trivial: All user apps shipped with 10.7 will be 64-bit.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    As for name what have we had so far...

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, and now Snow Leopard

What is left? (thanks to wikipedia)

Extant species

Lion

Cheetah

Jaguar

Eurasian Lynx

Margay

Wild Cat

FAMILY FELIDAE[1]

Subfamily Felinae

Genus Felis

Chinese Mountain Cat (Felis bieti)

Domestic Cat (Felis catus)

Jungle Cat (Felis chaus)

Sand Cat (Felis margarita)

Black-footed Cat (Felis nigripes)

Wild Cat (Felis silvestris)

Genus Otocolobus

Pallas's Cat (Otocolobus manul)

Genus Prionailurus

Leopard Cat (Prionailurus bengalensis)

Iriomote Cat (Prionailurus iriomotensis)

Flat-headed Cat (Prionailurus planiceps)

Rusty-spotted Cat (Prionailurus rubiginosus)

Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus)

Genus Puma

Cougar (Puma concolor)

Jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi)

Genus Lynx

Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis)

Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx)

Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus)

Bobcat (Lynx rufus)

Genus Leopardus

Pantanal Cat (Leopardus braccatus)

Colocolo (Leopardus colocolo)

Geoffroy's Cat (Leopardus geoffroyi)

Kodkod (Leopardus guigna)

Andean Mountain Cat (Leopardus jacobitus)

Pampas Cat (Leopardus pajeros)

Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis)

Oncilla (Leopardus tigrinus)

Margay (Leopardus wiedii)

Genus Leptailurus

Serval (Leptailurus serval)

Genus Caracal

Caracal (Caracal caracal)

Genus Profelis

African Golden Cat (Profelis aurata)

Genus Catopuma

Bay Cat (Catopuma badia)

Asian Golden Cat (Catopuma temminckii)

Genus Pardofelis

Marbled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata)

Genus Acinonyx[6]

Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)

Subfamily Pantherinae

Genus Neofelis

Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa)

Bornean Clouded Leopard (Neofelis diardi)

Genus Panthera

Lion (Panthera leo)

Jaguar (Panthera onca)

Leopard (Panthera pardus)

Tiger (Panthera tigris)

Genus Uncia

Snow Leopard (Uncia uncia)

Oh and my Favourite: Sabertooth
  • Reply 36 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I couldn't care less what they name 10.7 after.

We now know ZFS is a no go.

I figure we'll see a new modern fs for OS X delivered with 10.7 which will provide the

basis for a much better Time Machine.

Also think I'll get something like my "user" metadata. Apple will probably clean up a lot of the underlaying "spaghetti"

Resolution Independence should finally rear it's head. I'm sensing that the next few years is going to deliver some nice resolution bumps to displays.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Resolution independence is getting to be a "must have" with the higher resolution of the 27" iMac.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    As distasteful as it seems (to me anyway)...

Looking into my crystal ball...

Expect to see subtle underpinnings being discovered in early developer builds of OS X 10.7 that will bring into question Apples eventual intention to migrate OS X into the same AppStore type system that the iPhone and iPod Touch are constrained by.

You heard it here first...

Oh just so my post isn't so dark...

Lets guess the apx release date...

Taken From the OS X Wiki:

------------------------------

10.0 -> 10.1 took 185 days (6 months)

10.1 -> 10.2 took 332 days (10 months)

10.2 -> 10.3 took 427 days (14 months)

10.3 -> 10.4 took 553 days (18 months)

10.4 -> 10.5 took 910 days (29 months)

10.5 -> 10.6 took 672 days (22 months)

------------------------------

So for me:

10.6 -> 10.7 estimate 711 days (23 months)

AKA: August 9th 2011 (probably delayed till 'end of summer')

Which fits in well with the following:

OS X 10.7 developer preview @ WWDC 2010 and apx 12 months later the GM.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    I care about features, not names, but I'll point out that the widely-known names of big cats that haven't been used yet are Cougar, Lion, and Lynx.

I continue to believe that 10.7 will first be announced at WWDC 2010 and will ship sometime in 2011. I also believe that 10.7 will drop support for 32-bit CPUs i.e. Core Solo and Core Duo (Core 2 Duo are 64-bit and I'm confident will run 10.7).

I'm slightly less confident that (on hardware with 64-bit EFI) 64-bit kernels will boot by default. It will depend on how much progress there is with 64-bit drivers. For example, I have a USB stick GSM modem which only works if I boot with a 32-bit kernel. Will Vodaphone update the firmware with a 64-bit kext? I have no idea.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm slightly less confident that (on hardware with 64-bit EFI) 64-bit kernels will boot by default. It will depend on how much progress there is with 64-bit drivers. For example, I have a USB stick GSM modem which only works if I boot with a 32-bit kernel. Will Vodaphone update the firmware with a 64-bit kext? I have no idea.

Currently, not all 64-bit Core 2 Duo CPUs with 64-bit EFI are enabled to load a 64-bit kernel. I know, because my iMac 7,1 (mid 2007) is in this situation. It seems that Apple has enabled a subset of machines with a 64-bit CPU and 64-bit EFI and I've never been able to clarify exactly why. Penryn (about early 2008) is enabled but not any CPUs before that (as I understand it). Given this situation, I would think that 10.7 could support 32-bit kernels, and perhaps that support will be dropped in 10.8. On second thought, if 10.7 came out in 8/11, the aforementioned iMac would be 4 years old, and it is not unheard of for Apple to start dropping support for machines of about that age.