Apple's iPhone abroad: Orange UK to sell; China debut in October

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Choice is good!!
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I'm guessing it will be going on sale on the 10th of November then? That was when the 2G was originally launched in the UK.

I've signed up for the updates. My Dad wants one and Orange would be more suitable. I hope this encourages better prices, but I won't hold my breath!
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

At last the possibility of being freed from O2's useless 3G network!

Funny how Apple seemed to make deals with all the networks that couldn't cope with the iPhone, and all the 'old' established companies - the ones that are least "Apple-like".

For those who don't know, O2 is the rebranded British Telecom wireless (similar to Cingular/ATT)
  • Reply 24 of 38
    If Orange can ensure that their tethering tariffs are reasonable then here is one customer who will be looking to switch and possibility upgrade to 3GS when the O2 contract ends in Dec. Or shall I hang on for iPhone 4GS GT in June. \
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Although I was an Orange customer for years before the original iPhone, I'm now quite happy on O2. I don't see any reason to change back to Orange, especially considering Orange's network is not as good in my area. Having more than one provider in the UK can only be a good thing though. It will drive down contract prices and help provide more/better services for everyone.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    So if Apple goes multi-carrier in every country but the US then I think that says a lot about Verizon (and nothing good).
  • Reply 27 of 38
    [/QUOTE]iPhone to hit China October 1

... The company plans to launch its 3G network the same day that the iPhone is available. China Unicom will offer eight plans ranging from 126 yuan to 886 yuan per month, and subsidies will be available for those who sign up for a contract. [/QUOTE]

So from what I've read elsewhere, the subsidies on the most expensive plan would bring the cost of the phone down to somewhere around $100 ... but no subsidy at all available for the $18 month contract ... which makes I guess sense. That is a mighty cheap monthly rate. A lot more convoluted than any other plan that I've seen for the iPhone but it does give people a lot of choice. Perhaps the marketplace there demands that ...

Any one know how the monthly rates compare to other smartphone plans in China?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Funny how Apple seemed to make deals with all the networks that couldn't cope with the iPhone, and all the 'old' established companies - the ones that are least "Apple-like".

I think it's the other way around. Only the most desperate carriers were willing to meet Apple's original terms of no carrier branding and the revenue sharing model. O2 knew they couldn't compete on price or network quality, so they went for the most attractive handsets. It's a strategy that's worked.

Quote:

For those who don't know, O2 is the rebranded British Telecom wireless (similar to Cingular/ATT)

O2 have been owned by Telefonica for a couple of years now. BT span O2 off in 2004. Strangely, BT still operate as virtual network operator in the UK.

I'm happy to see O2 lose their exclusive. O2 coverage and reliability is appalling in London. What's the point in owning a smartphone if it can never connect to the network? I'd probably even be willing to pay more for the iPhone on T-Orange!
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Funny is how shallow human memories are. Nobody remembers anymore how doubtful iPhone success was and how sceptic the whole mankind was about -- ummm -- Apple's "phone" -- LOL -- and Apple's strategies in the domain. All that was here just less than 3 years back.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

So from what I've read elsewhere, the subsidies on the most expensive plan would bring the cost of the phone down to somewhere around $100 ... but no subsidy at all available for the $18 month contract ... which makes I guess sense. That is a mighty cheap monthly rate. A lot more convoluted than any other plan that I've seen for the iPhone but it does give people a lot of choice. Perhaps the marketplace there demands that ...

Any one know how the monthly rates compare to other smartphone plans in China?

It's expensive as hell compared to other plans. Many I know have monthly plans under $2 so you figure.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...just announced.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...ones-iPhoneReg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

At last the possibility of being freed from O2's useless 3G network!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I just hope that at the end of our O2 contracts we can get the PAC code and transfer our handset to Orange. If the handset is still tied to O2 then that would be bad.

What do people think the chances are for officially unlocking UK bought iPhones once these deals are implemented?

Will it be an enforcable request for me to ask O2 to unlock my 2G UK iPhone so I can take it back home to Australia? Or is it more likely that it will only apply to newer iPhones?

It probably doesnt matter but for interests sake I'm currently on a non-iPhone plan with O2.

A.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

What do people think the chances are for officially unlocking UK bought iPhones once these deals are implemented?

Will it be an enforcable request for me to ask O2 to unlock my 2G UK iPhone so I can take it back home to Australia? Or is it more likely that it will only apply to newer iPhones?

It probably doesnt matter but for interests sake I'm currently on a non-iPhone plan with O2.

A.

There are no requirements for UK carriers to release unlocking codes to you, period.

Multiple UK carriers selling the iphones --- means multiple UK carriers selling simlocked iphones.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

There are no requirements for UK carriers to release unlocking codes to you, period.

Multiple UK carriers selling the iphones --- means multiple UK carriers selling simlocked iphones.

As a worst case scenario I agree with you. However the situation you describe does not fit the pattern of what is actually occuring in the countries that have multiple carriers selling the iPhone (albeit from day one).

What I was more interested in was people's opinion as to what is most likely going to occur, for interests sake more than anything else.

A.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does the Chinese iPhone include MMS?

If China Telecoms offer it, then yes. If not, no.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It would depend on the laws in the UK, the places where they can be unlocked have a legal requirement to do so.

Quote:

As a worst case scenario I agree with you. However the situation you describe does not fit the pattern of what is actually occuring in the countries that have multiple carriers selling the iPhone (albeit from day one).

What I was more interested in was people's opinion as to what is most likely going to occur, for interests sake more than anything else.

A.

• Reply 37 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

A.

It's only going to get worse, period --- with the T-Mobile and Orange merger.

There is a very big dis-connect between the newspaper reporting of losing iphone exclusivity in American and European newspapers.

The FIRST thing you read from American newspapers about what would happen when AT&T loses their iphone exclusivity --- is AT&T will reduce the iphone subsidies when the new iphone launches with multiple carriers (often to be reported as Verizon). European newspapers talk about the possibility of iphone price wars when new carriers start selling the iphone.

Even in the best scenario, the price war will be temporary --- on the current iphone. Then when the new iphone model comes out next summer, you are going to see the price of the new iphone goes up. Handset subsidies on the iphone will go down.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It would depend on the laws in the UK, the places where they can be unlocked have a legal requirement to do so.

It's not a legal requirement in the UK. However, it is common practice: I've never found another carrier to refuse an unlocking code once you're out of contract. Once there's iPhone competition, maybe they'll start doing them to avoid bad press? That may be wishful thinking?