Apple announces App Store downloads top 2 billion

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday revealed that its App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch had served customers more than 2 billion downloads of software, with a half-billion in the last quarter.

Apple said there are more than 85,000 applications available to more than 50 million iPhone and iPod touch customers. It is said to be the largest application store in the world. There are 125,000 developers in the iPhone Developer program.

"The rate of App Store downloads continues to accelerate with users downloading a staggering two billion apps in just over a year, including more than half a billion apps this quarter alone," said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. "The App Store has reinvented what you can do with a mobile handheld device, and our users are clearly loving it."

The iPhone and iPod touch are available in 77 countries. In July, as the App Store turned one year old, Apple announced that more than 1.5 billion applications were downloaded in its first 12 months.

As the total number of iPhone and iPod touch users continues to grow, the rate at which applications are downloaded continues to accelerate. It was on April 23 that the store reached the 1 billion application mark.

Since it first opened 445 days ago, the App Store has seen an average of 4.5 million downloads per day. In the last 80 days alone, that total has accelerated to nearly 6.3 million each day.

For comparison, in its first 365 days, the store had an average 4.1 million downloads per day. From April to July 2009, that pace increased to 6.3 million each day.

Earlier this month, Apple released iTunes 9 with application management. The new feature allows users to view all of their iPod touch and iPhone home screens. With the Applications view, users can rearrange applications on their computer, designated which software goes where.

Also released this month was iPhone OS 3.1, which brought an App Store recommendation feature to the iPhone and iPod touch. The new Genius feature recommends new applications to users based on software they already have installed. With so many options available on the App Store, it is designed to help users find new software easily.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    No prizes this time for the 2 billionth app??
  • Reply 2 of 41
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

No prices this time for the 2 billionth app??

Or prizes.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    Is it so that it will be 4 billion downloads in next quarter????
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Or prizes.

What?? Where's the typo?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    The sudden urge to be the first one to post made me make that mistake...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    Quote:

The sudden urge to be the first one to post made me make that mistake...

Some people like you who are just referring this site as to promote their own website. and made the comment in "URGE" like you and done this mistake. well, All the best !!
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Do these numbers include re-downloads for updates? If so, the number of unique downloads of apps would probably be 4-6x lower.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saj View Post

Some people like you who are just referring this site as to promote their own website. and made the comment in "URGE" like you and done this mistake. well, All the best !!

Just like the link to that stupid app in your signature?

Not to mention your dramatically grammatically incorrect english.

While app store crossed 2 billion downloads, you can be happy with the dozen downloads that your app had. :P
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Do these numbers include re-downloads for updates? If so, the number of unique downloads of apps would probably be 4-6x lower.

No they dont. Steve Jobs in 09/09/09 event said that app store had 1.8 billion downloads WITHOUT INCLUDING UPDATES.

So this number for sure is excluding updates.
  • Reply 10 of 41
  • Reply 11 of 41
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    id like to see some revenue numbers and not analysts guessing in the dark about how much they actually make off the app store. I couldn't care less about thousands of people downloading free fart apps and other garbage.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The App Store is not designed to be a profit center for Apple. The App Store is designed to provide extra value to sales of the iPhone/iTouch, which Apple does provide sales numbers of.

People like to point out fart apps to down play the success of the App Store. There are maybe 10 fart apps out of the 85,000. They are not that significant or important.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

id like to see some revenue numbers and not analysts guessing in the dark about how much they actually make off the app store. I couldn't care less about thousands of people downloading free fart apps and other garbage.

• Reply 13 of 41
    App Genius feature appears to be quite helpful, I admit.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

App Genius feature appears to be quite helpful, I admit.

err not really, it's all "you bought an accounts app, here's another accounts app"
  • Reply 15 of 41
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Or prizes.

Quote:

Is it so that it will be 4 billion downloads in next quarter????

☻ON TOPIC LOSE THE AD IN YOUR SIG ITS TACKY❈

Quote:

What?? Where's the typo?

☂❋OFF TOPIC ✰

Quote:

The sudden urge to be the first one to post made me m✈ake that mistake...

➨➨✪

Quote:

Some people like you who are just referring this site as to promote their own website. ✹ and made the comment in "URGE" like you and done this mistake. well, All the best !!

✰✿STILL OFF TOPIC AND LOSE THE SILLY APP AD IN YOUR SIG

Quote:

Just like the link to that stupid app in your signature?

✸THIS HIJACKING OF A GREAT✠ TOPIC ❉IS NOT SO COOL YOU BOTH LOOK LIKE SILLY BILLIES

Not to mention your ✪dramatically✪ grammatically ❅incorrect english.

While app store crossed 2 billion downloads, you can be happy with the dozen downloads that your app had. :P

OFF TOPIC

Quote:

No they dont. Steve Jobs in 09/09/09 event said that app store had 1.8 billion downloads WITHOUT INCLUDING UPDATES.

So this number for sure is excluding updates.

NO ANYTHING UPDATES IS INCLUDED AS AN APP dl

THERE IS a counter which clicks each time a dl is completed

it has clicked over 4 billion times

which is amazing

Quote:

No prizes this time for the 2 billionth app??

still you havr to post extra so we all can see your fantastic unique app for mid western women sewing club news

this is the most amazing thiNG in the world

i applaud apple

i wish my MBP15

'HAD ITS OWN APP STORE
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

err not really, it's all "you bought an accounts app, here's another accounts app"

It is, it is. You describe correctly what the Genius does. But because iPhone Apps are oftenly limited in functionality, the user has to review and to try tons of similar apps to finally choose one, which satisfies all needs.

Personally, I'm downloading now 2 times more apps, than I did before Genius has been implemented..
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpymw View Post

I'd love to see your scientific explanation for 4-6x lower ratio of re-downloads because if you don't have a good one, it would be like saying that you're 4-6x stupider than everyone else.

Touche.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It is, it is. You describe correctly what the Genius does. But because iPhone Apps are oftenly limited in functionality, the user has to review and to try tons of similar apps to finally chose one, which satisfies all needs.

Personally, I'm downloading now 2 times more apps, than I did before Genius has been implemented..

I find it to be utterly useless. Well, OK, slightly more useful than the "Top Grossing" listing, which is of no help at all to the consumer (although of interest to developers). What would actually be useful is better sub-categorization and a listing of apps by "Top Rated" (weighted by number of ratings and number of reviews would be ideal, but even just being able to always sort by rating descending would be better than "Genius"). It's curious that Apple has not implemented such an obvious way of viewing App listings. I suspect that some of the larger App vendors are leaning on them to make the App store more profitable for them, which also explains the equally curious "Top Grossing" listing which, by its nature, will always be skewed toward higher priced apps, a factor unconnected to quality.

(And, anyone claiming that $.99 apps (or free apps) are killing the App store, consider this a request that you provide some evidence to support that assertion.)
  • Reply 19 of 41
    2 billion apps downloaded since the opening of the App Store, yet no improvement in app approval... How sad.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

2 billion apps downloaded since the opening of the App Store, yet no improvement in app approval... How sad.

Or another way to look at it would be 2 BILLION apps sold, in spite of their supposed defective and f'd up approval process.

In another words, it doesn't seem to be a problem for Apple or their customers.