Vodafone to sell Apple's iPhone in UK, too

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

O2 haven't had the bad press of AT&T, but more flexibility will sell more iPhones I'm sure.

Also Vodafone have such coverage across Europe, there could be some synergies there.

A while back I heard that the EU had forbidden Vodafone from reducing their roaming charges in Europe, as there were no other players that could compete across multiple EU countries. I wonder what happened to that. We definitely need a more USofE singularity of service in Europe. I was in Andorra last winter and my phone would switch between three countries within five minutes. </rambling>

This is the same O2 --- that crippled the 3G iphone speed down to 384 kbps, that required their current 3G iphone subscribers to pay off the rest of their original 3G iphone contract in order to upgrade to the new 3GS, that Brits were shocked that O2 ain't going to release unlocking codes no matter what, that Brits were shocked that O2 charges extra money for iphone tethering.

You got it completely reverse, European Commission is forcing Vodafone to reduce their roaming rates in Europe.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wallymcgoo View Post

That will be a real bonus in Ireland as O2 have put limits on downloads to the iPhone, and their tariff has been high compared to that of the UK.

And you think Vodafone Ireland will be any different?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

O2 haven't had the bad press of AT&T, but more flexibility will sell more iPhones I'm sure.

Actually, they have but it probably hasn't been publicized internationally. O2's network has been savaged by customers, bloggers and IT sites.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Original Article

Left out so far is British T-Mobile which, earlier this year, was rumored to be in negotiations with Apple. More recently, though, there was word of a possible merger between the company and Orange.

It's no longer a rumor. Orange and T-Mobile are merging in the UK. That leaves 3 as the only network-owning carrier not offering the iPhone.

Personally, I'm very pleased with the news. I'll jump to Vodafone as soon as I can.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Vodafone abolished roaming charges throughout the EU this summer as a promotion for UK customers. I think its fair to say that this is the way things are going, and I am looking forward to it. The EU was built upon the idea of free passage of goods and people throughout Europe and I would be very surprised if they were promoting roaming charges.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Competition is a good thing. TM.

Vodafone will want to undercut O2 to capture new customers.

O2 will want to undercut Vodafone to *retain* existing customers.

This is great news.

C.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Hey i hope you guys say NO. We might just be able to deafen ourselves with our iPods then.

Exactly, if we want to deafen ourselves that should be our right.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Competition is a good thing. TM.

Vodafone will want to undercut O2 to capture new customers.

O2 will want to undercut Vodafone to *retain* existing customers.

This is great news.

C.

History has shown that you shouldn't get your hopes up.

France openned up with multiple iphone carriers --- not much was changed in terms of pricing.

And if you look at newspaper reportings of what would happen to AT&T when they lose their iphone exclusivity --- the first thing you read is that AT&T would subsidize less on the iphone.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

History has shown that you shouldn't get your hopes up.

France openned up with multiple iphone carriers --- not much was changed in terms of pricing.

And if you look at newspaper reportings of what would happen to AT&T when they lose their iphone exclusivity --- the first thing you read is that AT&T would subsidize less on the iphone.

Just not true.

Wait... Yeah... I know what you mean. UK, France, Italy... It's all the same when seen from Tennessee. Oh, Tennessee, fair Tennessee. Our love for thee can never die.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Just not true.

Wait... Yeah... I know what you mean. UK, France, Italy... It's all the same when seen from Tennessee. Oh, Tennessee, fair Tennessee. Our love for thee can never die.

Yeah, if you look at Italy with multiple iphone carriers from the start --- they also sell idiotic iphone plans with 100 MB data allowance per month.

If your market is competitive, then it's competitive even if there is only one iphone carrier. If your market isn't competitive, then you will still get idiotic monthly plans even if there are multiple iphone carriers.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Yeah, if you look at Italy with multiple iphone carriers from the start --- they also sell idiotic iphone plans with 100 MB data allowance per month.

Ah, you see. There're no plans like that in France. We thus hope on they could eventually figure out something different and interesting in UK.

Quote:

If your market is competitive, then it's competitive even if there is only one iphone carrier. If your market isn't competitive, then you will still get idiotic monthly plans even if there are multiple iphone carriers.

You may be right. There should exist some competitive markets somewhere out there. We just live with our multiple carriers selling iPhones. And on the day, when they have become multiple, they kindly offered us plans, which were 20% cheaper, than before.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Ah, you see. There're no plans like that in France. We thus hope on they could eventually figure out something different and interesting in UK.

You may be right. There should exist some competitive markets somewhere out there. We just live with our multiple carriers selling iPhones. And on the day, when they have become multiple, they kindly offered us plans, which were 20% cheaper, than before.

Unfortunately 20% cheaper means that your mobile plans are still way over-priced.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Unfortunately 20% cheaper means that your mobile plans are still way over-priced.

People are buying those plans like crazy. This means the right supply-demand balance is found.