Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Of course there are the obvious differences that are so often pointed out, but there are also very subtle differences that have a major impact on the user experience. For example, the mouse drivers on Mac OS give a much more natural and precise feel than those on Windows, and the way text selection works in various controls is far superior on the Mac. If I sat down to list all these little things that add up to a very large difference, I'm sure the number would run to hundreds, but the basic theme is that Apple pays far more attention to small details than Microsoft does.

During the winter here, my girlfriend was forced to work at home due to travel disruption. She had never used a Mac for business uses and was trying to operate it like a PC. She was pulling bits of information from the internet, together with other documents and pictures. She was selecting text and going to the edit menu, selecting copy, then pasting it into notepad to get rid of the formatting, then copy and paste into word and then reformating it. I then said to her, forget how a PC works and do what you would prefer to do to achieve the same task. She selected the text and then dragged it to where she wanted it, let go of the mouse and it worked. Same with pictures, and the other data. She then found the various other tools to grap screen areas, etc. She found it a lot easier and more intuitive. I've since shown her how automator works as well as grapher and other nice tools. She now prefers to work at home on the Mac as it's easier.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

I never have owned a PC that was not a piece of garbage

me neither!

Quote:

and I have never owned a windows product that was not also a piece of garbage.

me neither!

But then... wait... I never owned any PC or Windows product at all
  • Reply 123 of 219
    Ok, we are aware that MS is offering Apple Stores staff more money to work in it's stores, so I pose a few questions to you all.

How much money would MS have to pay you to;

1. Give up your Macs, iPods and iPhones and only work with PCs, Zune, WinMobile phones from now on?

2. Spread the word of how wonderful MS Windows, Zune, WinMobile, etc are?

3. if you worked in an Apple Store (with benefits such as staff discounts!!), to move to an MS store?

Phil
  • Reply 124 of 219
    I thought the 'rounding error' was Ballmer's big fat butt bouncing round the stage while he was doing the monkey dance.

As a point of reference, IIRC the '91% of the $1,000 market' statistic only applied to sales through brick and mortar stores, and did not include online sales, so that caveat needs to be added.
  • Reply 125 of 219
    I think Balmer owns Apple stock and is just looking for a low price entry point.

:P
  • Reply 126 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Steve Ballmer Delusion Tour:

Ballmer: Apple won?t dominate the smartphone market - September 25, 2009

Microsoft CEO Ballmer gets $25,000 raise as company profit plummets 17% - September 19, 2009

Ballmer grabs Apple iPhone from Microsoft employee and ?stomps? it into ground - September 11, 2009

Steve Ballmer calls Apple?s Mac market share growth a ?rounding error? - July 31, 2009

In a roomful of Macs, Ballmer promises ?really amazing? non-Apple PC hardware coming this Christmas - July 30, 2009

Ballmer attempts to laugh off Google?s Chrome OS challenge - July 14, 2009

Ballmer: Bad economy is good news for us; who?ll pay $500 for an Apple logo now? - March 20, 2009

Who?s afraid of Apple? Not Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer - March 06, 2009

Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Apple?s iPhone as hype, says Windows Mobile has market momentum - February 28, 2009

Update: Office 14 slips to 2010, Microsoft copies Apple some more, Ballmer still nuts - February 24, 2009

House Democratic Caucus resort retreat to host Microsoft CEO Ballmer to talk ?innovation? - February 04, 2009

Ballmer ordered to testify in ?Vista Capable? class-action lawsuit - November 22, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer implicated in ?Vista Capable? debacle - November 14, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Google Android as financially unsound - November 06, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer says Windows 7 is Vista, just ?a lot better? - October 17, 2008

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer doesn?t know that Macs can run Windows - October 06, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer advises Apple to separate iPhone hardware and software - October 02, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: Apple?s iPhone and Mac will lose - September 26, 2008

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer?s retirement date: Never - September 22, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer on why Apple is thriving - July 24, 2008

Ballmer idea drought: Microsoft shareholders concerned - July 24, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: I?m outta here in 9 or 10 years; as soon as my last kid goes away to college - June 05, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer grilled at Four Seasons resort; Windows 7 yet another attempt to copycat Apple - June 03, 2008

Gates, Ballmer preview Windows 7: Multi-Touch and a Dock; Steve Jobs must be so proud - May 28, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer continues to overstate Zune market share - October 08, 2007

Ballmer: ?Vista doesn?t get done by three people in a garage in three days? - July 27, 2007

Ballmer: R&D is how Microsoft stays ?ahead? - May 24, 2007

Ballmer: ?I run every morning? - May 24, 2007

Microsoft?s Ballmer: ?No chance Apple iPhone is going to get any significant market share? - April 30, 2007

Ballmer: Apple not a hot brand, our partners will make look-alike iPhones, I gotta go - March 27, 2007

Microsoft CEO Ballmer talks infected feet, profuse sweating, and Windows Vista - February 21, 2007

Ballmer says pirates to blame for poor Vista sales - February 19, 2007

Ballmer calls Apple ?cute, little tiny niche guy? - February 15, 2007

Microsoft CEO Ballmer laughs at Apple iPhone - January 17, 2007

Ballmer: Zune?s Wi-Fi will help Microsoft challenge Apple?s iPod+iTunes - November 14, 2006

Ballmer: I?m Microsoft?s ?primary champion of innovation? - July 27, 2006

Microsoft CEO Ballmer spends two days unsuccessfully trying to clean Windows PC malware - June 05, 2006

Couldn?t you just buy a Mac and run Windows? Microsoft CEO Ballmer: ?No, we prefer real PCs? - April 29, 2006

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admits to brainwashing his kids not to use Apple iPods - March 28, 2006

Microsoft CEO Ballmer promises ?amazing wave of innovation? in 2006 - March 23, 2006

Microsoft?s Ballmer: It?s true, some of Windows Vista?s features are ?kissing cousins? to Mac OS X - September 18, 2005

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: ?We love to be first? - January 25, 2005

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: ?Apple iPod users are music thieves? - October 04, 2004

Microsoft CEO Ballmer on the digital home: ?There is no way that you can get there with Apple? - October 03, 2004

The Donger say -- you need a hobby or girlfriend. But not my sexy American girlfriend.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    Quote:

I never have owned a PC that was not a piece of garbage and I have never owned a windows product that was not also a piece of garbage. Garbage is still garbage no matter how cheap it is.

You know the hardware inside a mac right now is the same hardware available for PCs right? That's like making fun of a Chevrolet Camaro when you own a Pontiac Firebird.
  • Reply 128 of 219
    So Steve Ballmer says that MS is all about lower costs and that consumers get it and are cost conscious now, so my question is is why does Windows 7 still cost more than Snow Leopard. I mean if MS were really about lowering costs (as if they really care to) then they would really lower the prices of their software such as Windows and their Office programs. But have they? only by a smidgen.

Steve Ballmer is a salesperson so he is really good (or really not) at blowing crap thru his mouth. He's squirting nothing but bullsh*t.
  • Reply 129 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durandal View Post

me neither!

me neither!

But then... wait... I never owned any PC or Windows product at all

You're just as qualified to bash Windows as 99% of the PC users who bash Mac are!!!
  • Reply 130 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

There are some great advantages of having PCs at work.

It takes ages to boot up, connect to the network, load all of the security software and system tray tools, so I can have a nice coffee, chat to my colleagues and have a pleasant 30 mins start to the day.

Then, it works really slowly, with all of that security software so I don't have to work too hard. My manager understands when I don't achieve everything he wanted me to because he has a PC as well, and knows how slow they are.

And when it crashes or freezes, like it does about 2 or 3 times a day, I have more breaks!

I hope my company doesn't do an assessment of how much money it would save switching to Mac!!!!

Macs and IT wouldn't mix.
  • Reply 131 of 219
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Macs and IT wouldn't mix.

Good point. IT guys wanting to hold on to their jobs in this economy are certainly not going to recommend switching to anything that would make their positions unnecessary!
  • Reply 132 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

So Steve Ballmer says that MS is all about lower costs and that consumers get it and are cost conscious now, so my question is is why does Windows 7 still cost more than Snow Leopard. I mean if MS were really about lowering costs (as if they really care to) then they would really lower the prices of their software such as Windows and their Office programs. But have they? only by a smidgen.

Steve Ballmer is a salesperson so he is really good (or really not) at blowing crap thru his mouth. He's squirting nothing but bullsh*t.

I think the point is you can pick up a PC for 500 dollars and it comes with the OS already installed... unless you are upgrading an old PC their isn't any extra cost to getting Windows 7. Sure that 500.00 PC is no where near what you get with your 1199 iMac but that's not the point... it's a numbers game and Joe blow with 500.00 to spend can't afford the difference regardless of the experience he will have with said products.
  • Reply 133 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

You know the hardware inside a mac right now is the same hardware available for PCs right? That's like making fun of a Chevrolet Camaro when you own a Pontiac Firebird.

I guess you never home-built your own PC before? Tell me if you can tell the difference between a cheap motherboard and an expensive motherboard. One works reliably and the other causes blue-screens of death or other problems. You never use the cheapest components when building your own PC. But hey, I guess to you, it's still all the same.
  • Reply 134 of 219
    Quote:

I think the point is you can pick up a PC for 500 dollars and it comes with the OS already installed... unless you are upgrading an old PC their isn't any extra cost to getting Windows 7. Sure that 500.00 PC is no where near what you get with your 1199 iMac but that's not the point... it's a numbers game and Joe blow with 500.00 to spend can't afford the difference regardless of the experience he will have with said products.

True point, but Microsoft still doesn't sell a PC. They sell software. They should be speaking on their own terms of territory.
  • Reply 135 of 219
    Quote:

Except that one runs OS X and has the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry, while the other doesn't.
  • Reply 136 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fashionbug View Post

ballmer speaks like an undereducated kid. I wonder why Microsoft shareholder allows someone like him stay at the helm of Microsoft.

Maybe because he is Caucasian?
  • Reply 137 of 219
    Ballmers IQ is also a rounding error.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    Gosh, Ballmer. Things must be getting desperate in Redmond. Mounting an offensive effort like this only happens when Microsoft is already taking a defensive posture.
  • Reply 139 of 219
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

While I agree with your last sentence, and the bit about Photoshop, I don't agree at all with the larger point.

Although you say you do not agree, I cannot find any point on which we are not in total agreement. If you mean the bit that I don't see much difference in the 3 platforms and you do, let me try to be more specific by offering an example: BMW, Chevy, Toyota. Very similar. Bentley, KIA, Kenworth. Very different. I think it is simply a matter of degrees, but I would argue that the former is a more accurate comparison than the later in the OS situation.

Quote:

I use Linux at work (mostly because that's what our servers run and it's just simpler to use the same OS and my other choice was Windows, which just isn't nearly as stable) ...

EDIT: And I forgot to even raise the stability issue. My uptime on Mac OS is basically the period between system updates. I don't think very many Windows users can claim that.

No you didn't forget to mention stability.
  • Reply 140 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Maybe because he is Caucasian?

do you know what caucasian is? look it up in the dictionary...

he's definitely not all caucasian i'd say...