Flash coming to most smartphones, but not Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stardustag View Post

there are plenty of websites out there that use flash that are not for video or annoying ads. This is a bummer.

And most of the good devs understand they also need to have an optional HTML version.
  • Reply 22 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Most Flash video websites tend to support the iPhone anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Exactly, they came to us.
  • Reply 23 of 223
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You think HTML5 will kill flash? I know you didn't say that exactly, but it won't.

You're right. I didn't say exactly that HTML5 will kill Flash. HTML5 obviates the need for Flash. As such, HTML5 will be a major factor in the death of Flash. Apple's backing of HTML5 and their lack of support for Flash are closely related.
  • Reply 24 of 223
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope Flash never comes to the iPhone because Flash is a steaming pile of crap and it is obviated by HTML5.

Flash should be banned because of the whole Flash-cookies thing in my opinion. If I chose not to be tracked by turning off third-party cookies, I expect sites to obey that.

Sadly, theses nasty ad marketing web sites use Flash-cookies which bypass the usual rules of your browser.

Evil swines!!!
  • Reply 25 of 223
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Exactly, you just have to look at Windows to see that!

Or number of glass screened iMacs sold.
  • Reply 26 of 223
    Quote:

Around 1/3 of the internet use YouTube everyday, we don't need no stinking Flash.

The other 2/3 uses Flash. BRING IT.
  • Reply 27 of 223
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Flash should be banned because of the whole Flash-cookies thing in my opinion. If I chose not to be tracked by turning off third-party cookies, I expect sites to obey that.

Sadly, theses nasty ad marketing web sites use Flash-cookies which bypass the usual rules of your browser.

Evil swines!!!

If Flash makes it to the iPhone, there will have to be a way of disabling it. The worst thing about this is going to be all the ads that will consume what little bandwidth AT&T has.

Mobile browsing is the Trojan Horse to finally get rid of all the proprietary crap on the web; starting with Flash.
  • Reply 28 of 223
    Apple gave us MMS.

Apple will give us FLASH.
  • Reply 29 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or number of glass screened iMacs sold.

Put the computer in the right spot and you'll never have to move it. As for glass on a lappy, I much prefer the glossy plastic screen on the Air - my Air
  • Reply 30 of 223
    Quote:

Apple gave us MMS.

Apple will give us FLASH.

Worst. Argument. EvR!
  • Reply 31 of 223
    Quote:

And most of the good devs understand they also need to have an optional HTML version.

Yeah, because clients always listen to what's in their best interests.
  • Reply 32 of 223
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    As someone who "develops" flash for a living, trust me it's not Flash that you don't want on your mobile device, it's the programs that are made using Flash that you don't want on your mobile device.

Memory leaks, poor code optimization, and a host of how-not-to-write-software is sadly the standard when it comes to developing using Flash. It's bloated, poorly put together, and highly highly inefficient. Leave any Flash "app" open long enough and you can watch your memory/battery life, etc. evaporate.

Of course, nobody cares about any of that stuff when making banner ads, or microsites to promote the latest phone/car/movie/toy/whatever? because the sites are designed by nature to be short-lived.

As soon as you want to do anything more sophisticated, app-wise, a whole host of options become much more viable. This is why you're not going to see Adobe porting all their applications to run on Air, or the next version of Office to be deployed using Air. If you want actual applications, there's .NET, Cocoa, etc. ? Flash is for web animations, and will likely always remain so, and now that HTML5 is on the horizon, there is an ever-decreasing need to rely on it.
  • Reply 33 of 223
    Quote:

Put the computer in the right spot and you'll never have to move it.

I don't know about where you live but the sun here shifts angles during seasons.
  • Reply 34 of 223
    Quote:

Worst. Argument. EvR!

Coming from you, I wear that as a badge of HONOUR!
  • Reply 35 of 223
    Quote:

The other 2/3 uses Flash. BRING IT.

YouTube uses Flash brother. The point being the had the sense to go with Apple an provide optional H.264 support, which negates the negates for Flash on the iPhone. The main argument for Flash is video, but YouTube is video, these days.
  • Reply 36 of 223
    [LEFT][/LEFT]
    Quote:

Flash barely works on the Mac, so for that reason I'm glad.

How does it barely work? Works fine for me.

I have been doing web development and design for a living for the past 10 years now, on a mac, using all the same tools everyone else does, PHP, XML, XHTML, CSS, JS, AJAX and AS. I personally think Flash has come a long way in recent years and that AS3 was a significant step forward for them. I don't have near as many problems accomplishing what I want to with Flash as I used to, and frankly there are times where the fact that it is proprietary is actually helpful because I can assume a certain amount of cross platform performance that I can't always get from complicated CSS, XML and JS.

Seriously, if you believe that ALL flash does is produce web banners and youtube you obviously aren't in the web development business at all. The fact of the matter is banner ads were annoying well before flash. Remember animated .gifs? Furthermore, while there is no shortage of annoying flash web content, the truth is there is plenty of flash content that people DO want to see. video game sites, movie sites, children's games, all of these make A LOT of money and have a HUGE consumer audience. An Audience that WILL buy a phone that has flash.

Some of you seem to think that every consumer out there is just like you, and you fail to realize that whether you liek flash or not, many consumers do. I can tell you from personal experience working on completely add related flash sites that these sites see enormous hits, trust me I have seen the analytics for this type of content and they are being visited by key demographics that advertisers will pay to reach.

Maybe promising advancements in HTML 5, JS or CSS will eventually remove the need for FLash, I don't know. Currently, HTML5 and CSS3 do not. I have more hope for JS2. I do know that for most of us who develop web sites it doesn't really matter one way or the other. I already know all of these tools and will continue to use the one that works the best for the job. The typical site I build these days uses a bit of everything and that includes flash.

The bottom line here is, there is a use for flash, and there is flash content people want to see, and there will be for AT LEAST 5 more years. So the need to display flash content isn't going anywhere soon, and consumers WILL notice if they cant view the content they want on one platform and can on another. And they WILL buy the product that lets them view the content they want.

Obviously you will take what I am saying however you want, but this is my real world experience working in web and what I have seen to be true. For what it's worth I personally believe that Apple will add flash when the time comes and they are forced to do so in order to stay viable, and this entire debate will be a non-issue. I also believe that those of you who are saying you will get rid of your iPhone when that happens are idiots. Of course you wont. If you did, you wouldn't have a smart phone at all. Because they will all have flash.
  • Reply 37 of 223
    Quote:

Coming from you, I wear that as a badge of HONOUR!

You shouldn't. It was an awful statement.
  • Reply 38 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

[LEFT][/LEFT]

How does it barely work? Works fine for me.

Oh, so you're the one. Flash sucks on the Mac, people know this.

GOOGLE
  • Reply 39 of 223
    Quote:

Evil swines!!!

Funny I say the exact same thing about the Genius feature in iTunes. Never use it , never will. \
  • Reply 40 of 223
    Quote:

Oh, so you're the one. Flash sucks on the Mac, people know this.

GOOGLE

Bro- I use flash all the time on my 3 year old iMac - works just fine.