Vonage Mobile brings discounted calling to iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On Monday Vonage, the voice over IP provider, announced its mobile calling application for the iPhone and iPod touch: Vonage Mobile. The free downloadable application provides low-cost international calling via Wi-Fi, or as a voice call on the iPhone.

"Our new mobile app is an important step in establishing Vonage as a software technology company that enables high-quality voice and messaging across any device in any location, providing great value over any broadband network," said Marc Lefar, CEO of Vonage.

An extensive list of Vonage Mobile international calling rates are available at the company's Web site. The application is said to be compatible with the phone's existing contact list, and properly displays caller ID on recipients' phones for outgoing calls. The software also allows real-time balance updates for users, and the ability to replenish funds automatically.

Currently, users must pre-pay for minutes. But later this year, the company intends to offer a flat rate that allows unlimited calls to over 60 countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On Monday Vonage, the voice over IP provider, announced its mobile calling application for the iPhone and iPod touch: Vonage Mobile. The free downloadable application provides low-cost international calling via Wi-Fi, or as a voice call on the iPhone.

"Our new mobile app is an important step in establishing Vonage as a software technology company that enables high-quality voice and messaging across any device in any location, providing great value over any broadband network," said Marc Lefar, CEO of Vonage.

An extensive list of Vonage Mobile international calling rates are available at the company's Web site. The application is said to be compatible with the phone's existing contact list, and properly displays caller ID on recipients' phones for outgoing calls. The software also allows real-time balance updates for users, and the ability to replenish funds automatically.

Currently, users must pre-pay for minutes. But later this year, the company intends to offer a flat rate that allows unlimited calls to over 60 countries.

Interesting!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    And you cannot call U.S. numbers on this service, so it's totally worthless if you're travelling abroad and want to call home.

Guess SkypeIn/Skypeout is still the way to go...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzerain View Post

And you cannot call U.S. numbers on this service, so it's totally worthless if you're travelling abroad and want to call home.

Guess SkypeIn/Skypeout is still the way to go...

The problem I've had with SkypeOUT is that the "Worldwide Unlimited" options is (ahem) limited to landlines. I'll be really interested if I can use the Vonage app to call mobile phones in the countries that interest me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tymcode View Post

The problem I've had with SkypeOUT is that the "Worldwide Unlimited" options is (ahem) limited to landlines. I'll be really interested if I can use the Vonage app to call mobile phones in the countries that interest me.

And the answer, according to http://www.vonagemobile.com/rates/, is: A bit cheaper than Skype, but not cheap. For example, in Italy it's 4¢/minute except to mobiles, where it's 25¢. For Skype I haven't worked out exactly what I'm paying to call that mobile, either 30.8¢ or 35.4¢ (how do I know if/when I'm paying VAT?), but if my friend had a landline it would be free.

http://www.skype.com/prices/callrates/#listing-I