Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers with dozens of fixes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    I want to know when they are going to release a update that fixes the 64bit kernel problem with most macs. I have a 2 year old iMac 7,1 which has a 64bit Cpu, logic board, and 64bit software. It also has the 64bit efi installed out of the box and yet it still will not let me boot to 64bit kernel. I know people say that they is no difference and that I am still getting to use 64bit apps even running the 32bit kernel but I paid for a 64bit machine and the 64bit software and I want the 64bit kernel. The other thing that ticks me off is that my fairly new computer does not support OpenCL. It sucks that only people who just purchased an imac this year will be able to take advantage of OpenCL when it's implemented. The rest of us who recently spent over $2000.00 on a top of the line iMac don't even get to use these new features. All of this could simply be fixed with an update from Apple. But i'm sure they won't because they want us to buy a new one. And next month they'll be announcing a new iMac so the people who just bought one this month will feel ripped off too. For a machine that is supposed to last several years without upgrade they sure do change them pretty fast.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spookmag View Post

I want to know when they are going to release a update that fixes the 64bit kernel problem with most macs. I have a 2 year old iMac 7,1 which has a 64bit Cpu, logic board, and 64bit software. It also has the 64bit efi installed out of the box and yet it still will not let me boot to 64bit kernel. I know people say that they is no difference and that I am still getting to use 64bit apps even running the 32bit kernel but I paid for a 64bit machine and the 64bit software and I want the 64bit kernel.

Have you tried holding down the 6 and 4 keys while booting?
  • Reply 63 of 65
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spookmag View Post

...and I want the 64bit kernel.

Why? To run the 64bit kernel extensions that 3rd party developers haven't made yet?
  • Reply 64 of 65
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There is no comparison between SL and Vista. You can make them, but public opinion at large decides the issue, not those of us trapped in the MacRumors bubble.

Everyone's got their anecdotal experiences, but so far, there's been no discernible uproar of any kind. But you're more than welcome to try to create one.

You can compare the two. They are computer operating systems. They do the same thing, just differently.

Of course you'll refute every point I just made, but remember that most normal people out there don't give a damn about what OS they use as long as it does what they need it to do.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

That's a good idea if you just want things to work. Early adopting is really for the tech-saavy who can't wait and don't mind going through the growing pains because they are enjoying the new features and can work around the broken ones.

I think Apple did themselves a disservice by releasing SL earlier than expected. It caught many developers off guard and software that almost every Mac user uses, such as Growl and 1Password were not ready at all for the release.

But, I'm still enjoying it nonetheless. I'm slowly but surely replacing all my software with 64-bit versions. Next, the kernel. Then the 6-4 reboot

Here's to hoping that Apple (or the hackers out there with great machines like my MacPro) will give us an EFI update that will change the EFI chip in my Octo-Core 3GHz Mac Pro to 64 bit. Apple has released EFI updates in the past, so this ought to be a possibility.