New Verizon ad mocks Apple, AT&T: 'There's a map for that'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    If only the coverage maps told the true story. I am in a "best" voice coverage area with 3g service according to ATT, but on the ground reality is quite different. Not sure if Verizon would really do any better with the iPhone, based on analyst estimates that roughly the same percentages of VZW users would get the iPhone as at&t.
  • Reply 22 of 120
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    For the past 4 years I have utilized Verizon's Broadband Wireless service extensively. About a year ago I did a personal comparison to AT&T's 3G Broadband Wireless and more recently, I played with tethering the iPhone.

When I initially tested AT&T's 3G broadband, I was both pleased and underwhelmed as when it was good, it was excellent but it was VERY inconsistent regardless of signal strength (I am in the Dallas area and both carriers have extensive broadband networks). The AT&T download speeds would burst upto 2+Mb/sec but then would fall to around 200Kb all within a few seconds. It was just not consistent enough for me to even seriously consider dropping Verizon.

My more recent comparison of tethered iphone vs Verizon was much more favorable to AT&T. Verizon's EVDO at it VERY best serves up about 1Mb with a more typical 700-800Kb speeds. The tethered iphone CONSISTENTLY served up 1.5Mb to 2.5Mb, with none of the drops into the toilet that I had experienced in my previous comparison.

There is no question that Verizon has a MUCH broader coverage for their EVDO broadband wireless service as I have traveled around the country with both my 3G iPhone and my EVDO Verizon card. With EVDO, I seldom see the card falling back to the older Verizon network, while AT&T still suffers from incursions off into EDGE.

The latency of the two networks is roughly equivalent running around 100-150msec.

So, at least in the north Dallas area, AT&T currently serves up about TWICE the speeds.

For the road warrior, Verizon is the way to go as they truly have vastly better nationwide coverage. My plan is to stick with Verizon for Broadband wireless for the timebeing and see how Verizon's LTE rollout progresses. As the LTE specs allows for fallback to EVDO, my feeling is that Verizon will remain king of the hill since falling back to EVDO from LTE with the excellent nationwide coverage is preferable to dropping from LTE to EDGE on AT&T due to their more metro-centric 3G coverage.

david
  • Reply 23 of 120
    Now that's pretty funny.
  • Reply 24 of 120
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Zoom in AT&T's data coverage. You'll see what VZW mean. They count only true broadband 3G when it comes to AT&T.

Not sure what your trying to point out to me. I live in a major city. I've never dropped to 2G/Edge so this whole add is rather irrelevant to me. I just posted their maps so that anyone interested could take a peek.
  • Reply 25 of 120
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Attack ads are becoming very commonplace here. Not that they're very effective- just look how Apple has been attacking Microsoft relentlessly for the last five years yet barely moved into double digits of share.

And they came to almost the same disgusting end. "Lots of viruses... lots of viruses... lots of viruses..."

Quote:

Now you should see our elections' ads!

I'd prefer not to.
  • Reply 26 of 120
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this year, Apple came under fire for its App Store advertisement claims in the U.K, when a handful of users complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the claim that there is an app for anything. Specifically, users believed that the Android Marketplace also offered a range of applications, just like the iPhone. But after it reviewed the case, the ASA sided with Apple and declared that its slogan was justifiable.

But Apple didn't fare as well in a complaint over advertisements in which the company said that "all parts of the Internet are on the iPhone. In that 2008 decision, the ASA ruled that the commercials were misleading because the iPhone does not support Flash or Java, two proprietary technologies that sometimes prove integral in the display of certain Web pages.

What has any of this got to do with AT&T vs Verizon's 3G coverage ?
  • Reply 27 of 120
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Not sure what your trying to point out to me. I live in a major city. I've never dropped to 2G/Edge so this whole add is rather irrelevant to me. I just posted their maps so that anyone interested could take a peek.

I was just trying to explain how exactly maps, having been shown in the ad, were fabricated. I don't think your post is clear enough.
  • Reply 28 of 120
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    I don't know about maps but I do know that I always have bars here in a semi-rural part of CT but when my friend came up from NYC with his verizon phone, he was incommunicado for the whole weekend. I guess it was a verizon-induced vacation but it frustrated the beejebus out him.
  • Reply 29 of 120
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

- just look how Apple has been attacking Microsoft relentlessly for the last five years yet barely moved into double digits of share.

or... in the real world...

-just look how Apple has been attacking Microsoft relentlessly for the last five years and have moved from selling 3.5 million Macs a year to over 10 million a year.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    Just give everyone their choice of providers. Then everyone will be happy and Apple will rule the world.
  • Reply 31 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

-just look how Apple has been attacking Microsoft relentlessly for the last five years and have moved from selling 3.5 million Macs a year to over 10 million a year.

That's due to iPods and iPhones my friend, not Justin Long. Not to mention Vista.
  • Reply 32 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

That's great but marketshare in the real world counts and Teckstud is correct.

I go to my shareholders and say hey people increase are sales from 3.5 million to 10 million Mac in 5 years, the savvy shareholder will ask the question, How is your marketshare improved in major markets over the last 5 years.

Yes there will love the increase in sales, but if you say I gone from 7% marketshare to 15%, there will love you even more with above sales figures!

One thing that positive to me, as shareholder is that my shares are worth more than 10 years ago. I will sell them when I retire. My trip around the world money :-)
  • Reply 33 of 120
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Here are the coverage maps specific to data:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

You have to click on the 'Enhanced Services' map on the Verizon site to see their data coverage and then click the red Refresh Map button. I didn't really see any difference in the 'voice' and 'data' map for AT&T.

Actually if you look at those maps, it appears Verizon used their total Digital coverage map against AT&T 3G coverage map. It does not seem like an Apple to Apple comparison (pun intended) Verizon's Digital coverage is phone services since CDMA is digital, they should show AT&T's GSM to make the comparison the same.
  • Reply 34 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Yep, that pretty much says it all. Remember when everyone complained because the iPhone wasn't 3G? ATT wasn't ready.

Nice ad.

This is not true! The reason there wasn't an original 3G iPhone was b/c of 3G chipset consumed too much power for the size and type of device they wanted to create. Plus, that was 3 years ago!

I have excellent 3G service in NC, so I have no complaints with AT&T. I think things will be much better with the introduction of LTE. No need to invest too much time and money into a 3G network that will be obsolete in a year or so.

And as far as Verizon goes..........they need to concentrate on getting some good devices on their network b/c it's pointless to have a self-proclaimed "Best 3G Coverage" if there aren't any devices worth a shit to use the network.

Bottom line, all carriers have their short-comings. AT&T claims to have the fastest 3G speeds while Verizon claims to have more coverage. If you are that hell-bent one way or another, just switch networks and/or devices and shut up. Geezzzzz!
  • Reply 35 of 120
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Attack ads are becoming very commonplace here. Not that they're very effective- just look how Apple has been attacking Microsoft relentlessly for the last five years yet barely moved into double digits of share.

Now you should see our elections' ads!

Apple functions in the Premium end of the market. Apple shuns the low end and locks out a good portion of the mid-end. Margin over volume. And it's a brilliant strategy.
  • Reply 36 of 120
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    It's hard to get really solid info but, according to both a Verizon Wireless rep and a few forum postings, EVDO can't do tethered data and voice simultaneously.

By contrast, AT&T's 3G network, according to some people, is capable of simultaneous voice and tethered data.

That's a key difference if you rely on your mobile phone for broadband access with your computer.
  • Reply 37 of 120
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

That's great but marketshare in the real world counts and Teckstud is correct.

I go to my shareholders and say hey people increase are sales from 3.5 million to 10 million Mac in 5 years, the savvy shareholder will ask the question, How is your marketshare improved in major markets over the last 5 years.

Yes there will love the increase in sales, but if you say I gone from 7% marketshare to 15%, there will love you even more with above sales figures!

One thing that positive to me, as shareholder is that my shares are worth more than 10 years ago. I will sell them when I retire. My trip around the world money :-)

Actually stock price is the only thing that counts, let see my apple stock i bough in 2000 went form 10 to 180 today and MS stock went from 50 to 25 today. That is doing really well for the investor who is investing in your ideas and products.

ops correction my $10 stock is now worth $190 today
  • Reply 38 of 120
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Doesn't mean squat when everyone and their dog is dying to get an iPhone and is perfectly willing to put up with AT&T.

It's all fun and games . . . until Verizon gets the iPhone.

Had Apple gone with Verizon, Verizon would have experienced the same crushing pressure on its network.

No one was fully prepared for what the iPhone brought to the table.

great post, and its because of the iphone demand, verizon figures with other countries going to multi carriers it should get in on the act, so now after their "ceo" resigns, or leaves, does verizon want to say hey, we should of had a v8 (iphone)

they are kicking themselves for not "dealing" with the iphone and SJ,

let them eat cake, so the only hope verizon has is LTE 4g.

so should verizon have a new commercial?

"it really isn't the network, its this cool, must have iphone, and till we get it we will through garbage phones at you, cripple them, and tell you its really raining outside"

my biggest prob with verizon is how it cripples phones, my friend had the same phone i did, but verizon turned off his BT so i could do voice dialing, and transfering and he couldn't, will verizon lock out iphone functionality to sell its own junk???
  • Reply 39 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

That's great but marketshare in the real world counts

No, it doesn't.

What counts is profit. Return on Investment. That's it.

Apple can stay at 5% market share forever and so long as they're pulling down obscene profit on their investments the savvy shareholder is going to be far, far happier with them than Dell, Microsoft and HP.
  • Reply 40 of 120
    Like many industries.....YMMV. No one cripples devices as much as Verizon does and they even charge $2.99 for visual voicemail. What is interesting is that Verizon has admitted that they focus on the network instead of bringing the best and most data hungry phones. They must be afraid of something. Also, Apple will hesitate bringing their phone to Verizon since they now mandate that all app stores go through their own app store.