Apple launches online Brazil store; Canadian carriers confirmed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has launched its regionalized online store for customers in Brazil; and Canadian wireless providers Bell and Telus have confirmed they will offer the iPhone next month.

iPhone coming to Bell, Telus in November

Confirming a report from Monday, both Bell Canada and Telus Corp. announced Tuesday that they will begin selling Apple's iPhone for their networks in November. The news officially brings to an end the exclusivity Rogers Communications has had on the handset for over a year.

Telus and Bell both released brief statements, confirming that they have reached an agreement with Apple to bring both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS to Canada. Pricing and availability were not immediately available, but are said to be forthcoming in a matter of weeks. For more information, visit telusmobility.com/iphone, bell.ca/network or bell.ca/reseau.

The two carriers have partnered on upgrading its network to iPhone-compatible HSPA standard. Both providers previously operated on a CDMA cell network that is incompatible with the GSM-based iPhone. The debut of Apple's smartphone is said to coincide with the launch of the HSPA network.

Weeks ago, the exclusive carrier contract for the iPhone in the U.K. was also eliminated, when both Vodafone and Orange announced they had reached an agreement with Apple. Previously, O2 was the exclusive carrier.

Apple online store opens in Brazil

Numerous readers sent word Tuesday that Apple's official online store in Brazil has officially opened. The store has been rumored to begin selling products for months.

Visitors of apple.com/br are currently met with a greeting announcing the new online store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I see a really cool trend here...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Architapier View Post

I see a really cool trend here...

really cool trend for what
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Olympic colors!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

really cool trend for what

I just think that what has happened in the UK and in Canada is going to catch on in more places across the globe, it is a nice time to be an apple shareholder, especially if you got in around $85 like I did!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Olympic colors!

Exactly! This is great news for Brazilian customers, who have been waiting for a long time to have the Apple Online Store in the country.

As a major emerging power, a manufacturing powerhouse, an increasingly rich society and one of the world's biggest economies, this couldn't have come at a better hour, along with the victorious bids for the World Cup and the Olympics...

Congrats, Brazil! Now you just deserve lower taxes for manufactured imports, of course...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Architapier View Post

I just think that what has happened in the UK and in Canada is going to catch on in more places across the globe, it is a nice time to be an apple shareholder, especially if you got in around $85 like I did!!!!!!

Nice, but I bought shares ten years ago and there were certainly not $85

As stated previously, I will use them for my round the world trip on retirement!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Exactly! This is great news for Brazilian customers, who have been waiting for a long time to have the Apple Online Store in the country.

As a major emerging power, a manufacturing powerhouse, an increasingly rich society and one of the world's biggest economies, this couldn't have come at a better hour, along with the victorious bids for the World Cup and the Olympics...

Congrats, Brazil! Now you just deserve lower taxes for manufactured imports, of course...

You forget greatest party country in world and best Bundas!!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    AppleInsider, those links don't seem to work properly.

The Telus Mobility link goes to a form asking for interest in the iPhone.

The Bell Mobility link goes to an even more generic form.

Am I missing something? Have they removed the pages?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Nice, but I bought shares ten years ago and there were certainly not $85

As stated previously, I will use them for my round the world trip on retirement!

I remember when the share price was around $10.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    before this oficial Brazilian Apple Store site, it's been really difficult to check the prices of the apple products there.

The previous site only showed a list of distributors, most without homepage link, and those that had a page, hardly ever published any price. Was it that a huge secret??? I never understood.

And usually you could mostly find older mac models selling on the price of the new ones, with 6 months or a year delay. (especially in FNAC stores)

Poor Brazilians
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Macbook

R$ 3.099,00 ~ U$ 1.770,80

MBP 13 2.26GHz

R$ 3.799,00 ~ U$ 2.170,66

iMac 20 "2.06GHz

R$ 3.399,00 ~ U$ 1.942,17

MacPro Quad-Core

R$ 8.299,00 ~ U$ 4.741,18

Holy ***!

It doesn't look like great news with these prices ....
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chcng View Post

Macbook

MBP 13 2.26GHz

iMac 20 "2.06GHz

MacPro Quad-Core

Holy ***!

It doesn't looks like a great news with these prices ....

I think it included taxes.

And a few years ago if someone wanted to buy e.g. a macbook in Brazil, it costed over the double the price than in the US. So, now it's still a bit more expensive than in Europe, however it's already a huge change.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I remember when the share price was around $10.

Yeah I purchased mine at $18-19 per share. can't remember the share certificates have been in bank safe for ages now.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Nice to see Apple has added Brazil to the "family".

Unfortunately for Canadians I don't expect Bell/Telus getting the iPhone will change anything except give us the option to choose our poison.

The three of them act like an oligarchy rather than competitors. Trying to get a better deal by shopping around is like going from one member of OPEC to another hoping to get a better price on oil.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Olympic colors!

Obama's folly!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chcng View Post

Macbook

MBP 13 2.26GHz

iMac 20 "2.06GHz

MacPro Quad-Core

Holy ***!

It doesn't look like great news with these prices ....

As I said above, manufactured imports are heavily taxed in Brazil (normally to protect the various industries that we have down there, but also comprising State taxes and so on)...the average is roughly the double of American or European prices. In fact, it used to be even worse, but now the exchange rate with the dollar is much more favorable...so prices are not THAT absurd anymore.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    If the Apple open any factory in Brazil all this prices would be cut by 50%.

It has a tax for it...