Countdown to WWDC...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    People, you have to remember something here?WWDC is more than two months before MacWorld New York.

Perhaps we'll see new PowerBooks at WWDC as we did with in 1999?

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Too early for new towers at WWDC, but MWNY is another story. I think G5s no sooner than MWNY, and no later than MWSF. New mobos will come with the G5, but not before.

If no G5 at MWNY, then good chance for Apollo speed bump, but no mobo changes. If there was a good time for a mobo revision it was MWSF this year, but Apple blew it. Now the G5 is too close to be messing around with G4 mobos (at least for the Powermacs).
  • Reply 23 of 29
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    A lot of hardware developers show up at WWDC -- there is no Apple hardware-only show or conference. Personally I think if the OS is going to go 64-bit before WWDC '03, then they will announce it and the chips it'll run on at WWDC... even if the chips won't make it out until '03 (although I hope sooner!).

They'll also be talking up the next version of OSX (10.2 or 10.3 depending on whether another release happens before May). This will include OpenGL (w/ vertex shaders) and a few other pieces still missing from OSX. It'll be interesting to see how much hype there is for this year's WWDC.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by eat@me:

<strong>This is a WWDC and not a hardware conference. This will be about developing applications for the Mac and notably Cocoa. I am hoping they will bring about EOF for Cocoa development. That is the most exciting thing about MacOS X is Cocoa. Remember this is a developer conference. Save the g5/g4s for other shows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

never heard of hardware developers and software developers who need to know everything about the hardware? half the conferences are on hardware.

I think if G5s are not released they will most certainly be demoed/talked about
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I agree with Programmer, that Apple will showcase OS X at the WWDC. WWDC is about communicating new things to developers, and OS X is of far more interest to developers than hardware developments (unless we're talking about a 2 GHz G5, but that ain't gunna happen at WWDC).

About OS X, my guess is we see Apple focus on core audio components. This is one area of OS X that still isn't complete, and it's hindering development of professional audio apps. It's extremely important for Apple to finish the audio support in OS X, and to make it as cutting edge as possible. The audio professionals are a patient group, and probably would sit tight with OS 9 and pro tools/cubase/peak for a long time, but if Apple wants to continue to dominant the audio market, then they need to aggressively pursue it. Right now Apple is taking it for granted, and making it extremely difficult for developers to get OS X audio apps finished.

While Apple is at it, they should incorporate the latest dolby 5.1 surround sound into OS X, so people can create DVDs with the finest audio available. It's time for Apple to get serious about audio, before Trent Reznor decides to go Wintel! (lol, like that would ever happen!).
  • Reply 26 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>A lot of hardware developers show up at WWDC -- there is no Apple hardware-only show or conference. Personally I think if the OS is going to go 64-bit before WWDC '03, then they will announce it and the chips it'll run on at WWDC... even if the chips won't make it out until '03 (although I hope sooner!).

They'll also be talking up the next version of OSX (10.2 or 10.3 depending on whether another release happens before May). This will include OpenGL (w/ vertex shaders) and a few other pieces still missing from OSX. It'll be interesting to see how much hype there is for this year's WWDC.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree but would go farther. I think they'll announce 10.2 a week or two before the show so that developers can absorb the changes before-hand. The show will hype Cocoa, Altivec (their only HW advantage), and Sci-tech/unix.

I don't think they will talk G5 at the show. When they do move to G5 I think the first part they use will be a 32bit part. They'll transition to 64bit later. Altivec may go double precision though. What they really need before G5 (and especially 64bit) is a much improved memory system. Maybe talk about RapidIO and Hypertransport.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    I'm really dubious about a 64-bit AltiVec, or a 256-bit AltiVec unit... those really just sound like inventions of people who don't understand what is involved. I wouldn't mind a vector double, but I'm not expecting to see it.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Apple's recent statements to Maccentral preclude many possible hardware announcements at Seybold and MacWorld Tokyo. The closest major event inclining itself to hardware releases after MacWorld Tokyo is WWDC in May.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>