Foxconn rumored to manufacture Apple tablet for Q1 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

We should remember that the public conception of what the iPhone is, went through 3 stages:

1: Smartphone with iPod (expectation)

2: Surprisingly good internet browser (told by Apple)

3: Applications and gaming platform (surprise)

Just like that, the public conception of an Apple tablet could go through several phases. This is a possibility:

1: 10" iPod Touch, for music, gaming, web browsing and apps (expectation)

2: eReader (told by Apple)

3: Pretty good Mac (surprise)

Good insight and agree with most of what you said, but it won't be a Mac, in the sense that apps like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro or even Garageband won't run on it, and apps using the Mac user interface won't run on it. The PA Semi or ARM chip just isn't powerful enough to make that software responsive. And forcing keyboard-mouse-based apps into the tablet won't be a good user experience.

But it will be a "Mac", in the sense that there will be touch-based lighter versions of apps like Pages and Numbers. Apple is going to create still another platform for software developers.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I agree with your comments, at least that what I looking for, since iTunes I have not bought a physical CD for long time. I love reading and physical books are becoming hard to store and keep. Amazon Kindle looks promising, BUT it is not launched in India. Even if the Apple tablet is not launched in India (which very much doubt it would not be), I would go to USA or Australia and buy one, since I could store all my books and not worry about space. Since it is internet based and my iTunes account is located in US (never gave up my credit card/bank account), I would still be able to buy my favourite books.

With a nice 10" screen, it would be worth the money and I could probably do lot more than just reading books, which Kindle, I think is not worth its price tag.

If kindle supported pdf I would probably buy one for scientific journals and books. I would rather read fiction etc from paper however. The abiliy to add notes etc to pdfs on a little tablet that could also, say, give a keynote presentation or whatever could be great. Of course i know us scientists are a tiny market and no ones cares about us :P
  • Reply 23 of 108
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

If it's a 3G device, which I strongly believe, FCC approval would be required, right? An early2010 market launch would then mean that Apple has to announce the tablet any day now.

OK, I'm holding my breath until they annouce it.

/Daniel

The rumor was that Apple would announce it in January but not deliver it until late spring. This might be primarily because of FCC approval. But it could also point to a new software platform and Apple giving developers time to write apps for it.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    My credit card is ready and waiting. Come on January 2010. Gimme, gimme an Apple Tablet.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

At that point it's easier just to say "this device shouldn't exist".

Luckily, it won't be, or be sold as primarily being, an eReader. So the lack of eInk won't be a problem and the ability to actually show color, animation and video will be there.

Good point. Your first one, and your second one.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I think the issue here was nailed a few posts ago. What will compel people to pay for content which they can already get free?

You're missing the most obvious thing. They may be free!
  • Reply 27 of 108
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

My credit card is ready and waiting. Come on January 2010. Gimme, gimme an Apple Tablet.

Just don't whine come April when it drops $200 and gets a faster chip.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

I am NOT going to re-encode my videos to run on the device, thus why I haven't bought an iPod yet.

You don't have an iPod? So you're the one.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    The Goreing of the Apple.

Has Al Gore, Apple's resident environmentalist, ever spoken out on this? :

Quote:

Foxconn and Apple made headlines this summer, after a prototype 4G iPhone went missing from one of the company's factories. After an employee was questioned about the matter, he reportedly committed suicide.

• Reply 30 of 108
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could you imagine Scrabble® on this thing? Spellings would automatically be checked, no one could cheat, and putting away the game would simply require one of two taps. The irony of all this is I'm listening to Ray Charles in the background right now.

I think you are underestimating the deviousness of the uber-competitive Scrabble player - it's a war goddammit! Someone will come up with a hack - three taps to show you all possible words for your letters; double two-finger tap to show you all your opponents letters... a whole new cottage industry could be born - Scrabble cheat software!
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The Goreing of the Apple.

Has Al Gore, Apple's resident environmentalist, ever spoken out on this? :

What are suggesting. They recycle the body?

I'm serious. What in the name of God has this to do with Al Gore. Even Apple the company cannot be held responsible for someone killing themself. The Hong Kong company should be held responsible, if not the guy who killed himself.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

You're missing the most obvious thing. They may be free!

True that, but what does a publisher gain from putting on this tablet device that they don't get from simply publishing to the web proper? The article suggests a sub million initial production run. That kind of world wide readership isn't going to set hearts ablaze, particularly when you're talking 'free'.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I think you are underestimating the deviousness of the uber-competitive Scrabble player - it's a war goddammit! Someone will come up with a hack - three taps to show you all possible words for your letters; double two-finger tap to show you all your opponents letters... a whole new cottage industry could be born - Scrabble cheat software!

I forgot to mention, the tablet would be the board and the bag, the iPhone of iPod touch would be the letter tray. If could be fun!
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Quote:

What are suggesting. They recycle the body?

I'm serious. What in the name of God has this to do with Al Gore. Even Apple the company cannot be held responsible for someone killing themself. The Hong Kong company should be held responsible, if not the guy who killed himself.

Our souls ( corrected karmas ) are recycled according to Budhist philosophy.

Speaking out for human rights should come before environmental rights.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    Quote:

True that, but what does a publisher gain from putting on this tablet device that they don't get from simply publishing to the web proper?

A richer, more compelling product that people may want to read the whole way through. Which nobody does with websites. Longer viewing per user, more intimately with ads even. Apple may not even allow Flash on this device.

Quote:

The article suggests a sub million initial production run. That kind of world wide readership isn't going to set hearts ablaze, particularly when you're talking 'free'.

The may be wrong about that number. And an initial run doesn't mean they won't be on the ready to ramp up another few million units if the product takes off, which they will be, and which may well happen.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

Human rights should come before environmental rights.

You never answered my question: what has this do to with Al Gore? Or even Apple for that matter.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

You never answered my question: what has this do to with Al Gore? Or even Apple for that matter.

I think he meant to post in the other thread.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Our souls are recycled according to Budhist philosophy.

Teckstud, unfortunately there are laws that prohibit us from or openly thinking about burying you in a green plastic bag.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:

Our souls are recycled according to Budhist philosophy.

Buddhists don't believe in a 'soul'. Anatman - look it up. Hindus believe in a soul that reincarnates.

Buddhists believe in the rebirth of karma - not of souls.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I think he meant to post in the other thread.

Now I'm really confused.