AT&T says network needs more work to support iPhone tethering

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I expected a more logical question especially after I spoon fed the reasons why AT&T sucked long before the iPhone ever existed.

Techstud you have offered up nothing useful in this thread.

As to the AT&T vs Verizon arguing it is for the most part useless to even engage in a discussion because the issues are local. For example I was a long time Verizon user and have found AT&Ts service to be just as good, in many ways better since switching to an iPhone.

In any event if you think any one service is better than the other you had better check in with the FCC. They have real concerns about running out of bandwidth to run all the data services that companies want to market. The reality is we are simply running out of usable bandwidth, which will lead to slow service and degraded connections.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 60
    - much better than with my previous phones (from Nokia and Sony Ericsson)

But I have to say, when I visited the US a couple of months ago, the quality of the AT&T network was underwhelming (and I almost only used it for SMS and phone) - I was happy whenever I got T-Mobile connectivity instead...
  • Reply 43 of 60
    My company gives me an aircard, so no need for tethering here. My question is, how much are you willing to spend to get tethering? Certainly it's not going to be free. I suspect somewhere around 20 bucks. Besides the people complaining about ATT's network (which is rock solid for me), what will they complain about next after tethering is offered?
  • Reply 44 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T made a surprising announcement

not really that surprising. there is a very good chance the FCC was going to force them (and all the carriers) to do this very move anyway. Announcing it now, without that duress is a PR move to make them look good.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    It will not increase network traffic, based on the simple premise that people do not want dial up speeds and that's what AT&T's network will give you - dial up speeds and frequent disconnects.

I'll stick to my Verizon card, thanks AT&T.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

What excuse? And "keeping it real," by what measure do you contend that Verizon's network was any more ready for the iPhone than AT&T? Dropped calls and coverage is irrelevant, we're talking the ability to handle the unprecendented increased volume of data that the iPhone created.

I don't think they are necessarily disconnected issues. If a network can't reasonably avoid dropping calls, then how can they handle a large volume of data?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

First rule in marketing- Never promise something you can't deliver on.

They can claim that they were misunderstood.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhunter View Post

It will not increase network traffic, based on the simple premise that people do not want dial up speeds and that's what AT&T's network will give you - dial up speeds and frequent disconnects.

I'll stick to my Verizon card, thanks AT&T.

I don't think they should be selling aircards if they don't think they can support iPhone tethering. I think you can get the USB sticks for free with the data subscription.

Something not brought up is the cost of the legitimate tethering data plans. I'd like to have it available as a backup, but I don't want it all the time, and I don't want to pay the rumored daily rate ($15/day). That's about the cost of internet at the last hotel I used, so I'm not seeing why I should buy AT&T's daily price in a pinch.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    I use data tethering all the time now and it rocks!

Rogers network in Canada.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

...go to ATT and get a free 3G Card for your computer....and pay the same monthly service that you are going to be paying for the tethering option.

What monthly fee? iPhone is UNLIMITED DATA.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Do you know if they ever solved the problem with visual voicemail in the tethering hack? I tried the big hack back when it first came out and lost visual voicemail and notifications that I had voicemail altogether.

--Dave

Yea that's fixed. It was a simple modification to the profile. I think it was actually fixed a week later. The reference above is the fixed profile.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Too bad the AT&T official did not mention anything about changes in network traffic since MMS was enabled. Has anyone heard anything or noticed a difference in their own experience?
  • Reply 51 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Verizon is thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get the original exclusivity agreement for the iPhone or they would be the one hearing "your network is crap" ad naseum.

I suspect you are correct although perhaps Verizon have a better coverage geographically at least. It's not something I know much about.

The irony is Apple has created such a simple system for we users to access data via the iPhone we crippled the system by sheer use. Previous generations of smart phones and tethering systems were not used all that much. Witness the relative massive internet use of iPhones versus other so called smart phones. I would totally expect the simplicity of Apple's tethering system to do likewise and AT&T fear this understandably.

Has anyone seen data on the tethering impact in countries allowing it on iPhones?
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Too bad the AT&T official did not mention anything about changes in network traffic since MMS was enabled. Has anyone heard anything or noticed a difference in their own experience?

That would be interesting. I'd like to see a survey of iPhone users to see how many use it at all.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think they are necessarily disconnected issues. If a network can't reasonably avoid dropping calls, then how can they handle a large volume of data?

They can claim that they were misunderstood.

I don't think they should be selling aircards if they don't think they can support iPhone tethering. I think you can get the USB sticks for free with the data subscription.

Something not brought up is the cost of the legitimate tethering data plans. I'd like to have it available as a backup, but I don't want it all the time, and I don't want to pay the rumored daily rate ($15/day). That's about the cost of internet at the last hotel I used, so I'm not seeing why I should buy AT&T's daily price in a pinch.

That is an excellent idea. I do the same with high speed internet connection when we do our annual migration north for a few months as the supplied connection is so poor. In my case a FiOs user here in FL, I found Time Warner happy to drop ship in a return prepaid box with a Road Runner system to my condo in the White Mountains and prorate my charges.

I would go for a system like you suggest for the fours days we take to drive up and the same back.

I should add both my wife and I continue our businesses during this period, believe me I'd love a vacation without internet once in a while! \
  • Reply 54 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Still, tethering is specifically excluded in the contract.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Even when they start allowing tethering, there will likely be an additional monthly fee to enable the service on your account. Just like you have to pay an additional fee for text messaging, even though you have unlimited data.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Even when they start allowing tethering, there will likely be an additional monthly fee to enable the service on your account. Just like you have to pay an additional fee for text messaging, even though you have unlimited data.

They will still charge but that's not really an accurate comparison. Text messages go through an entirely different system than data. Tethering uses the exact same process and data as surfing on the phone itself.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I been using internet tethering nearly from day one here in India, but I have to say the network is not as strained AT&T in the States.

I was at conference and person from USA made the comment that he could not read his mails because the internet sucked for some reason. I pulled out my iPhone and gave him to use to get his mail.

he was so impressed and wished, he could drop his Blackberry 8900 in the bin. I told him, he may want to reconsider, since this option is not offered in USA with AT&T.

As soon as mentioned AT&T, he went on uncontrollable rant, how crap it was and he never use that network again.

I think I understand my US colleagues pains with AT&T.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to the AT&T vs Verizon arguing it is for the most part useless to even engage in a discussion because the issues are local. For example I was a long time Verizon user and have found AT&Ts service to be just as good, in many ways better since switching to an iPhone.

In any event if you think any one service is better than the other you had better check in with the FCC. They have real concerns about running out of bandwidth to run all the data services that companies want to market. The reality is we are simply running out of usable bandwidth, which will lead to slow service and degraded connections.

Oh please AT&T has been rated at the bottom of thebarrel for years- long before the iPhone. I'm not the only who's posted that either.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

No it's not. The contracts clearly state that the cap is 5GB.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    AT&T says network needs more work to support non-dropped calls

There, fixed the headline for you...