Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Apple is all about brand and quality. The weakest point is AT&T as their carrier in the USA. AT&T is holding back the true potential of this phone.I also agree that apps are fine, but most business customers want a phone that works. Not cutesy apps that serve no purpose. Give me a great phone and give me great service. Look how the customer uses their phone and design one around that experience.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

On "most" smart phones? Please post what numerous (i.e. more than one) smart phone that uses that resolution.

It already does that. Just turn off WiFi and don't use your iPhone for anything other than making a phone call.

You want that plus have enough power for 3 to 4.5 hours of talk time? Carry a 12V car battery with you then. Can't have it both ways with a small footprint like that.

Archaic? Compared to what other bleeding-edge smartphone? Currently, RIM and WM are the main players and they don't have anything near as elegant as what MOSX has. And Android is still trying to figure out how it should look like.

Still lacks much? Hmm.. Apple's current sales figures just proves (yet again) that you're in the serious minority.

This is the same rantings of someone who needs daily "ohh, new and shiny" stuff only to be bored with it after five minutes of playing. It's an elegant and productive way to use it. Thankfully, Apple is continuing to innovate and will continue to do so even in the midst of all the static being given off by folks that think they know what's better for the masses.

What's your holdup? If your iPhone is such an archaic, non-functional device, sell it on EBay and go with the other models you think are so superior.

Ah... the room got really quiet suddenly....

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    and what will compel present iphone owners to change i have no need to change, att works great for me, but even if verizon gets the iphone,

why change, and redo the cost of all those apps, i'm satisfied with the updates

and all comers must compete ON ALL LEVELS

APPS STORE

YEARLY UPDATES

SYNC

MOBILE ME

the whole environment must be compelling so most are just also rans
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

and what will compel present iphone owners to change i have no need to change, att works great for me, but even if verizon gets the iphone,

why change, and redo the cost of all those apps, i'm satisfied with the updates

and all comers must compete ON ALL LEVELS

APPS STORE

YEARLY UPDATES

SYNC

MOBILE ME

the whole environment must be compelling so most are just also rans

ROTFL - He Said 'Mobile Me'... Now that overpriced nonsense is hilarious!
  • Reply 25 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If you dont need 20GB of online space then you dont get that much value from mobile me. But i host my website, www.samanjj.com on it and also use the mail, share files with friends when they are too big to send. etc
  • Reply 26 of 99
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I own an iPhone 3GS, and wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market, but to say that the competition is still catching up with the original iPhone is ridiculous.

Let's think back to the first iPhone...

- No app store

- No 3G

- No GPS

- No MMS

- No copy and paste

It gave a very good web browsing experience over WiFi and had fantastic media capabilities. It also had massive shortfalls. The iPhone has come a long way in two years.

If offered a first gen iPhone running OS 1.0 or a HTC Hero running Android, how many people would seriously pick the iPhone? Not me for sure.

- No 3G

- No GPS

- No MMS

These are still on the list... there is no way I would look at the original Iphone for anything but a paper weight. In fact that's all mine is used for at the moment.

I agree looking at the 3GS it has come a long ways.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:

x2... the fact that I can't use my Iphone as a thumb drive pisses me off. They expect me to pay for MobileMe just to get some kind of basic file storage. Lame
  • Reply 28 of 99
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

"Frankly I think people are trying to catch up with the first iPhone two years ago," Cook said. "We've long since moved beyond that."

Puh-leeze- NOW THAT"S PUSHING IT. APPLE snobbery at its WORST. Makes Ballmer almost look credible and decent. Must be hard living under Steve's shadow.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

x2... the fact that I can't use my Iphone as a thumb drive pisses me off. They expect me to pay for MobileMe just to get some kind of basic file storage. Lame

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...289943355&mt=8

And this just one example (the best I know, well worth the 4.99$, IMO) of an app that would give you this functionality. I am sure that with a short search you can find others.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.

Thank you for agreeing that your post was silly. That's a good first step. Being in denial is not a good thing.

When you look at your requirements and realize how much you are contradicting yourself, by all means come back and post something a bit more realistic.

I think it would be arrogant for Apple to count out the competition. So I question the amount of spinning this article may have had prior to being published. One could pick up quite a few examples of other devices that can do certain things better than an iPhone. But to-date, the iPhone is the one device that can do all of those things at an acceptable level.

RIM may have a good business apps, but the browsing, internet, app capabilities are not very good.

The Pre to-date was so hyped up it immediately set itself up for failure. The superiority of WebOS is debatable since there is nothing for it, the hardware quality is a joke, and it's on a network that nobody uses. I have yet to see anyone using one.

The HTC is a curiosity. Until Android gets its act together to provide a consistent and cohesive environment, it will continue to remain a curiosity and limited mainly to tech-heads that comprise a very small minority of the mobile-user mass. And you very well know that.

Now the new Verizon/Droid is interesting. But as is consistently stated (and proved countless times) is that Apple provides a winning combination of quality hardware AND software in one device. The sales numbers simply prove that point.

The regular Joe simply does not care about running multiple apps, watching movies, while talking on the phone and tethering it to a microwave oven like you techs think it should do.

How many more breakout quarters does Apple need to have before critics like you decide that maybe your standards are a wee bit to high?
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

How many more breakout quarters does Apple need to have before critics like you decide that maybe your standards are a wee bit to high?

Conversely…

Maybe it’s simply a case of you (and those like you) having standards that are too low (possible complacency) ?

See How That Works?
  • Reply 32 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    We'll know we have a competitor when they can boast third party apps like the high profile ones on iPhone. I'm enjoying MLB at bat $9.99. Totally worth the cost- killer app, if you follow baseball. I'm sure each of you have a favorite app that isn't on Android.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love how you complain about the battery life between comments about it not having a power draining higher resolution display and 3rd-party app multitasking. Do you not see the irony?

Trust me... He doesn't
  • Reply 34 of 99
    Sflocal, let's be a little more specific about what makes the HTC Imagio a curiosity, since our friend DaHarder seems to be willing to cut corners on his review:

1. Resistive rather than capacitative touch screen, so no multitouch gestures allowed.

2. Limited onboard memory, which means that some Windows Mobile applications won't run on it, even with an SD card.

3. Navigating the web is slow because of the processor.

4. The battery loses 10% of its charge every 30 to 45 minutes

5. The performance with the Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system is uniformly sluggish, even when only one application is running.

These statements are from NY Times reader reviews posted within the last few days.

And DaHarder, nobody believes your disclaimer about waiting for replies.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

See, this is where you show yourself to be clueless. Your examples of other phones don't include size/weight ratios to battery life. The rest of your comments just further my point "real advancements", "fashion statement", blah blah.

You're just silly. I mean, if you were a troll, I could understand; you just wanna kick up dirt, etc. But that's not the case. You actually are just truly clueless.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Trust me... He doesn't

No Thanks... I'd rather place my trust in one with reasoning a bit more rational.

Appreciate the offer though.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

Sflocal, let's be a little more specific about what makes the HTC Imagio a curiosity, since our friend DaHarder seems to be willing to cut corners on his review:

1. Resistive rather than capacitative touch screen, so no multitouch gestures allowed.

2. Limited onboard memory, which means that some Windows Mobile applications won't run on it, even with an SD card.

3. Navigating the web is slow because of the processor.

4. The battery loses 10% of its charge every 30 to 45 minutes

5. The performance with the Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system is uniformly sluggish, even when only one application is running.

These statements are from NY Times reader reviews posted within the last few days.

And DaHarder, nobody believes your disclaimer about waiting for replies.

I too read that review', but unlike you, I actually own the device(s) in question, and that makes all the difference in situations such as these.

Hint: I Speak From Experience... NOT the opinion of another.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I too read that review', but unlike you, I actually own the device(s) in question, and that makes all the difference in situations such as these.

You ever seen the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? You know the Otto character? You remind me of him. Lots of prickly self regard, kinda dim.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You ever seen the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? You know the Otto character? You remind me of him. Lots of prickly self regard, kinda dim.

As Difficult As It May Be:

Please try to refrain from trivial personal attacks and remain on topic.

Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 99
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Hmmm.... okay, so by your experience, you have all these devices lying around your house (like remote controls) but can't seem to find one that covers all your requirements? Who has standards issues?

If you really think that the tens of millions of global users that have purchased the iPhones have low standards compared to the what - 1%-2% of the vocal tech heads that preach they are right, then by all means, check the sturdiness of that soapbox you're standing on. Looks a little shaky.

I was able to replace my separate cell phone, PDA, music (media) player all into one device that fits the bill and does a great job at all three. Is it perfect? Of course not. Nothing is. And according to you, there are tens of millions of people that are happy too. That's all that matters. And as an AAPL owner, I'm quite happy with what management is doing.

If and when Android takes off, I think Apple will be in a good position to handle it.