Apple turns to Twitter to promote iTunes music, podcasts, more

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though it has long been a company that shied away from social media, Apple has recently decided to further embrace Twitter to promote new content on iTunes.

As first noted by TechCrunch, Apple recently registered a number of Twitter accounts to advertise movies, music, TV and podcasts on iTunes. The Cupertino, Calif., company started its first official account, iTunesTrailer, in March, and now has nearly 1.2 million followers.

The new iTunesMusic, iTunesMovies, iTunesTV and iTunesPodcasts accounts only have a few tweets and thousands of followers between them.

The iTunesMovies account tweeted over the weekend to promote the movie "Away We Go," written by Dave Eggers. Eggers is the co-writer of last weekend's top movie, the Spike Jonze adaptation of the classic children's book "Where the Wild Things Are."

The music account states it will provide "official music updates for the U.S. iTunes Store, including new releases, pre-orders, iTunes LP, exclusive offers and more."

The podcast page is used to promote the Podcast Episode of the Day. It has 2,029 followers and 42 tweets so far.

The smallest account, iTunesTV, has 422 followers but has yet to register its first tweet.

Apple has cross-promoted the Twitter accounts, with a background that advertises to the other iTunes-related pages. Visitors are also asked to support the iTunes fan page on Facebook.

Earlier this year, rumors surfaced that Apple might be interested in acquiring Twitter in an all-cash deal. The Web site has gained a considerable amount of buzz and users this year as celebrities have made the site their home for personal updates. However, the rumor never came to be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Apple has sold their soul to the devil! Damn that twitter evilness!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Twitter twatter.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

You know, I have kept up with every technology going that I could for three decades but after trying Face Book for a few months I quit it. I can use Mobile me to share pictures with family, I just didn't 'get' the whole Face Book mentaility. I have never even tried Twitter ... I guess I am due for retirement !
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

On the contrary, by publicly coming out against the holy Twitter machine, you are branding yourself as the devil incarnate.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

On the contrary, by publicly coming out against the holy Twitter machine, you are branding yourself as the devil incarnate.

Touche.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You know, I have kept up with every technology going that I could for three decades but after trying Face Book for a few months I quit it. I can use Mobile me to share pictures with family, I just didn't 'get' the whole Face Book mentaility. I have never even tried Twitter ... I guess I am due for retirement !

Pre-Internet - if you want to stay in touch with people you have to write letters or subscribe to newsletters for things like alumni associations. real men don't write letters to other men.

Early Internet - Email is here. you can now email people you've met along the way and send stupid jokes and videos.

Middle Internet - Web Based email is now for everyeone so you don't have to worry about cancelling ISP service since no one uses their ISP's email except old people set in their ways.

Current Internet - Facebook is for everyone. no more having to keep track of emails and thinking of things to email people. you can play mafia wars, comment on their stupid status postings, comment on pictures, etc. and it's easy to find people you have known but haven't talked to in years for whatever reason. Like say your First Seargent in a military unit from 10 years ago. or say you take a video of your kids and want to send it to grandma. just post it to facebook and it's there without having for her to dig through her files to find it 6 months down the road

Twitter is nice for networking. i "follow" a bunch of MS SQL DBA's and Microsoft MVP's and read advice, new tips, etc. and it's easy to get "heard" by them. I also have a few other twitter accounts where i follow celebs, music stars, tech news, sports and news. Say you're a fan of Katy Perry. you can follow her and send her tweets. i only tweet on my personal account i use for friends and MS MVP's but if you look at the celebs' profiles they answer their fans back.

when email first came out the Army called it the flattening of the chain of command. Used to be if you wanted to talk to your batallion or brigade commander you had to jump through hoops even if there was an open door policy. To complain people would create anonymous hotmail accounts and email the higher ups and it would get things done a lot faster without complaining to your immediate chain of command which might be the problem. Same here. 20 years ago you had to go through a huge media congolomerate to communicate with people in the spotlight or follow them. Not anymore. If you're a trekkie and follow Brent Spiner you would see right away that he had dinner with Bill Shatner and Kate Mulgrew a few days ago. No need to rely on some magazine or website to report this news or lack of it

some interesting people i follow are brent spiner, kevin case, queen rania, steve case, sebastian bach, daughtry, ryan seacrest, Ahnold. these are just a few. I think i follow close to 1000 people split between 6 twitter accounts
  • Reply 7 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't think Apple will buy Twitter. I think they should though.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    And the purpose for Apple acquiring Twitter would be?...........

<crickets>

Exactly.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Pre-Internet - if you want to stay in touch with people you have to write letters or subscribe to newsletters for things like alumni associations. real men don't write letters to other men.

Early Internet - Email is here. you can now email people you've met along the way and send stupid jokes and videos.

Middle Internet - Web Based email is now for everyeone so you don't have to worry about cancelling ISP service since no one uses their ISP's email except old people set in their ways.

Current Internet - Facebook is for everyone. no more having to keep track of emails and thinking of things to email people. you can play mafia wars, comment on their stupid status postings, comment on pictures, etc. and it's easy to find people you have known but haven't talked to in years for whatever reason. Like say your First Seargent in a military unit from 10 years ago. or say you take a video of your kids and want to send it to grandma. just post it to facebook and it's there without having for her to dig through her files to find it 6 months down the road

Twitter is nice for networking. i "follow" a bunch of MS SQL DBA's and Microsoft MVP's and read advice, new tips, etc. and it's easy to get "heard" by them. I also have a few other twitter accounts where i follow celebs, music stars, tech news, sports and news. Say you're a fan of Katy Perry. you can follow her and send her tweets. i only tweet on my personal account i use for friends and MS MVP's but if you look at the celebs' profiles they answer their fans back.

when email first came out the Army called it the flattening of the chain of command. Used to be if you wanted to talk to your batallion or brigade commander you had to jump through hoops even if there was an open door policy. To complain people would create anonymous hotmail accounts and email the higher ups and it would get things done a lot faster without complaining to your immediate chain of command which might be the problem. Same here. 20 years ago you had to go through a huge media congolomerate to communicate with people in the spotlight or follow them. Not anymore. If you're a trekkie and follow Brent Spiner you would see right away that he had dinner with Bill Shatner and Kate Mulgrew a few days ago. No need to rely on some magazine or website to report this news or lack of it

some interesting people i follow are brent spiner, kevin case, queen rania, steve case, sebastian bach, daughtry, ryan seacrest, Ahnold. these are just a few. I think i follow close to 1000 people split between 6 twitter accounts

I think I'll skip ahead to the Google Wave Technology as soon as it is available and give Twitting a miss thanks
  • Reply 10 of 11
    No point for Apple to buy Twitter, not sure what they would even do with it. Twitter should have sold to Google ...

It will be interesting to see how Twitter performs over the next few years given growth isn't reflecting the "hockey stick" anymore
  • Reply 11 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndenver3210 View Post

No point for Apple to buy Twitter, not sure what they would even do with it. Twitter should have sold to Google ...

It will be interesting to see how Twitter performs over the next few years given growth isn't reflecting the "hockey stick" anymore

Says the guy linking to Twitrounds.