Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 121 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Likely because with C2Q you're dealing with a different socket size. I don't know what Apple's not using Core i5 dual cores in the lower end however.

That's a vocal minority. The vast majority of consumer like the impact from the glossy screens. Even your typical HDTV now has a glossy front. It's about controlling your lighting. To ease glossy screens I recommend that lights be turned down low and bias lighting be applied if there's a wall behind the iMac to shine the bias light on.

People are demanding quicker access. I know here the lady and I have used comcasts's on demand a few times. Nothing beats access. Apple knows that 720p is good enough for people who still think MP3 is cool. If have a screen that begs for 1080p then you have a standalone Blu-ray player linked to a big playback device which is linked to an AV receiver.

It also appear that some people simply will not wake up to reality

HDMI- it's not coming folks. Consumers wanting HDMI for a HTPC are a niche within a niche within a niche. Out of the 3 million macs sold last qtr I doubt even 5 % gave a hoot about HDMI.

Blu-ray - Unless it's a Blu-ray recorder and you're producing discs for a living it's not really needed. Yes that's my opinion but again 3 million Mac sales with nary a Blu-ray installed does not help your case. Consumers at larget don't care.

If you read my post I wasn't making a case for blu ray in fact I was making one against. Most people just aren't interested. Blu ray readers have been available on my PC for a while now and except for Sony laptops I really don't know anyone that has one.
  • Reply 122 of 853
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am surprised they offer a wireless keyboard and mouse to the iMac ? wouldn't it be better for the environment to minimize the use of batteries and have a wired keyboard and wired magic mouse?

women hate wires more than they like the environment

i'll take wireless and batteries over the wire mess i have on my computer desk anyday
  • Reply 123 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.

Read the fine print. The 27" model supports DisplayPort input.
  • Reply 124 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That is blatantly wrong and false.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/...bution_rising/

Quote:

Total disc sales, including standard DVDs and Blu-ray, plunged 13.9%, a slightly bigger drop than the 13.5% decline in the first six months of 2009. In an effort to downplay just how dismal revenue from DVD sales has become, DEG didn't disclose total revenue for the category.

Guys if you provide the link or links to backup your statement it prevents the "no it isn't, yes it is" responses.
  • Reply 125 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't disagree, I just happened to be reading about blu ray sales today. Also I don't see Apple adding that cost to the iMac. For a blu ray reader on an HP you are adding 240.00, with Apple clearly that would be more. SJ doesn't even like the iMac he thinks everyone should be using laptops and iPhones so I don't think alot of extra effort goes into the iMac.

Nothing really changed today, still using the same basic design, still using glass in front of a now LED screen which is stupid.

People talking about these new releases stealing the thunder from MS this week. Don't really see that happening.

not anymore

Dell is shipping PC's with Windows 7 now and most of them they have Blu Ray as standard
  • Reply 126 of 853
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiffydave View Post

Found my own answer from PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/17155...explained.html):

So it looks like the i5 might be just fine, especially if Snow Leopard isn't recognizing the hyper-threading.

Any other opinions?

Thanks for the info SpiffyD!

I was asking myself the same question since I'm about to pull the trigger on x2

See...

Me and my wife will both get new ones and then my wife's current 24" iMac (2 years old?) will go to her dad who's Mac just died last week... This way everyone is happy and I don't have to troubleshoot a 5 year old PPC iMac that 'doesn't work sometimes*' that he was using... YAY!!!

* However it will always work the times when I drive the 2+ hour trip to work on it.
  • Reply 127 of 853
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It still doesn't change the fact that you have all this potential on the new 27" iMac and nothing to watch on it except iTunes HD, DVDs and 1080p trailers from the Quicktime trailer site. Kind of a waste.

You would buy a $2000 computer with a 27" screen as a television/video viewer?

Why not spend $1000 on a good 32" television? Or $2000 on a 40"-46" TV?
  • Reply 128 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

There's no tough crown, just TekSpud vomitting all over the thread. That was an amazing number of negative posts on one thread from one user. Regarding the glossy thing, remember when all monitors had glass fronts becuase they were CRTs? There were anti-glare filters. Someone must make something like that today. If not, it could be a business opportunity if there are really that many people that have a problem with glossy.

The glossy screen on my iPod touch drives me crazy. I can't imagine having to deal with 27" of gloss.
  • Reply 129 of 853
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Blu-ray - Unless it's a Blu-ray recorder and you're producing discs for a living it's not really needed. Yes that's my opinion but again 3 million Mac sales with nary a Blu-ray installed does not help your case. Consumers at larget don't care.

I didn't know Mac users had a choice of getting Blu-ray installed.

Sitting at a computer is about the only time I'm close enough to an HD display that I can tell the difference in picture quality that comes with Blu-ray and 1080p. The 60" family room HDTV isn't nearly close enough from any seat to distinguish between 720p and 1080p.

Why was Blu-ray omitted? As I understand it, the "bag of hurt" no longer exists. Maybe it's because iTMS HD movies would look pitiful compared to Blu-ray, when the user sits at a normal 20" viewing distance from their computer display.
  • Reply 130 of 853
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Read the fine print. The 27" model supports DisplayPort input.

I guess I need to edit my original post so people stop informing me of this fact
  • Reply 131 of 853
    So how long until these new iMacs show up on Amazon so I can avoid sales tax and get overnight shipping for 3.99?
  • Reply 132 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For the home entertainment system, Blu-ray is great, but we don?t need Blu-ray optical media in computers for storage the way we needed them with CDs and DVDs. Windows has Blu-ray support in the OS so that AACS protected movies can be played and all the major vendors have Blu-ray as an option but it?s not being adopted quickly. The longer Apple waits to add support to OS X and apps, regardless of including the option for the drive, the less likely it?ll happen

The HD-DVD/Blu-ray way may have ended, but in that time digital downloads and streaming were able to get a stronghold that DVD and VHS didn?t have to contend with. The Netflix CEO has stated that streaming is increasing fast while DVD rentals are dropping and expects that streaming content will overcome optical rentals within 2 years.

With all these new appliances that allow you to rent and buy movies Apple really needs to get the next AppleTV out there before it loses the chance to be in the living room. No one has done it right, yet.

Yeah thats what I was trying to say. Digital downloading is really the way people want to go these days. Even for home entertainment I believe most people can't tell the difference between blu ray and standard dvd format. Also I still feel that the US overall is behind on true HD quality programming compared to other parts of the world, not to mention cost.
  • Reply 133 of 853
    Quote:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/...bution_rising/

Guys if you provide the link or links to backup your statement it prevents the "no it isn't, yes it is" responses.

they also said rentals are taking a bite out of DVD sales. at 220 DVD's i stopped and sold my collection. it got to the point where i would watch most movies once a year or so. Now wife and I just rent or pay per view
  • Reply 134 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

If you read my post I wasn't making a case for blu ray in fact I was making one against. Most people just aren't interested. Blu ray readers have been available on my PC for a while now and except for Sony laptops I really don't know anyone that has one.

No worries extremeskater I wasn't attempting to refute anything in your post. In fact I agree and that's coming from a guy with both HD DVD and Blu-ray media. Personally I'm moving away from collecting media on physical discs. I've thrown away my CD jewel boxes in lieu of higher density storage and I could see myself doing something similar with my DVDs as well.
  • Reply 135 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Mostly because it is bigger (as in when I read a web site) and also because when you have a 16:9 image you can still fit some something on top and bottom of it (ie play controls in a movie, edit controls in a picture, apple menu bar in regular use)

So why not do a tad better, and ask for 16:12.....? (But don't divide by 4 )
  • Reply 136 of 853
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Welcome to life. Want the best stereo option available for your new car? You better upgrade to the larger engine and an automatic transmission (yuck). It is frustrating, but it definitely isn't limited to Apple. This wouldn't be a major problem for me as if I were going to get an iMac it would be the 27" with the BTO i7 option.

Except that I have yet to see an automobile manufacturer design a car in such a way that prevents me from adding my own stereo. If they did, I wouldn't purchase the car.

-kpluck
  • Reply 137 of 853
    It appears Snow Leopard does use the hyper-threading, but will only show the additional cores when the CPU(s) are being taxed (HandBrake encode, etc.).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....37564&tstart=0
  • Reply 138 of 853
    Quote:

Yeah thats what I was trying to say. Digital downloading is really the way people want to go these days. Even for home entertainment I believe most people can't tell the difference between blu ray and standard dvd format. Also I still feel that the US overall is behind on true HD quality programming compared to other parts of the world, not to mention cost.

The US is way ahead on digital downloading/streaming though. It isn't a real option for much of the world right now.
  • Reply 139 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yebot View Post

So how long until these new iMacs show up on Amazon so I can avoid sales tax and get overnight shipping for 3.99?

I called Amazon and the nice Indian woman I spoke with suggested it should be there in 2-3 days.
  • Reply 140 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Except that I have yet to see an automobile manufacturer design a car in such a way that prevents me from adding my own stereo. If they did, I wouldn't purchase the car.

-kpluck

Have you looked at any cars produced in the last 10 years? They are not designed to have their stereos replaced.

Edit: I'm not saying I support Apple in their quest to limit your options. I'm just saying that they are not alone.