Inside Apple's new unibody polycarbonate MacBook (teardown photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Sad, sad. Now it has more appeal in portability and lacks connectivity features. I'm completely lost with the question whether I should spend one more G on this one and abandon the brand-new white MB, having been bought just months ago...
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

Woah woah woah. No IR port? How am I going to use my shiny new Apple Remote with it then?

Yup, seems they left it out. I use the remote a lot to control movie playback on my 2-year old white macbook connected to the external monitor.

Also, they removed FW (don't really care), but why didn't they add an SD slot?

And lastly, it appears that the plastic on the keyboard panel is glossy? That would be nasty for resting my hands on.

So, if I want to upgrade, I must go for the 13" 'pro', which is OK i guess. But I have to wonder - who is the macbook for now?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Entry level buyers. People who are shy to spend a lot on a mac. Also, it's an inexpensive avenue for developers. Apple's strategy for a while has been to encourage development. What's an iPhone without apps?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zekesax;

I'm so dissapointed in the omission of Firewire. I was going to get the previous model white macbook because of it's lower price and Firewire. I then heard about this upgrade so I decided to wait a few days. Now this! I don't get it..

My video camera outputs Firewire. I was so looking forward to this purchase. I use both Macs and PCs. I understood why I was going to pay a little more and was Okay with it. Now, I just don't know. I'm going to investigate my options and one thing is for certain; I'm going to wait!

When they took away Firewire last year I panicked into buying the last Black Book running @ 2.4GHz. Now a year later with this non-Firewire model and the continuation of the stupidest ONE-Audio Port idea, I still feel like I made the right decision.

While the LED screen is cool, it's still only glossy. And the longer life lithpolymer battery is better too. But, to me, a Mac without Firewire is insanely NOT great no matter what else it may have going for it. I love the design I have where changing hard drives is a very quick and easy job. They put FW 800 on the first and current 13" MBP. I see no reason they couldn't have kept FW 400 or even put the smaller FW 800 port on this model other to save a dollar some bean counter decided would be a good idea. NOT! How did this decision get past Steve?
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

When they took away Firewire last year I panicked into buying the last Black Book running @ 2.4GHz. Now a year later with this non-Firewire model and the continuation of the stupidest ONE-Audio Port idea, I still feel like I made the right decision.

While the LED screen is cool, it's still only glossy. And the longer life lithpolymer battery is better too. But, to me, a Mac without Firewire is insanely NOT great no matter what else it may have going for it. I love the design I have where changing hard drives is a very quick and easy job. They put FW 800 on the first and current 13" MBP. I see no reason they couldn't have kept FW 400 or even put the smaller FW 800 port on this model other to save a dollar some bean counter decided would be a good idea. NOT! How did this decision get past Steve?

What's even further mindboggling is why they are still skimping out on processors, the black MacBook 4,1 has a 2.4 GHz and that was over a year ago. It's now a year past, and the newest update has a 2.26 GHz processor that still doesn't match that. Seriously Apple, Intel Penryn processors are dirt cheap, why the hell are you skimping out on function for form when it costs practically cents?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    This whole Firewire for Pros thing is BS. Apple itself on numerous occasions has touted the benefits of Firewire. I have an original iPod that uses it. For what is worth, I can boot my Firewire equipped Macs with a boot copy of the OS I have installed on the iPod. If it were a "Pro" feature, Apple wouldn't have it installed on every Mac produced in the last ten years. When Apple removed Firewire last time, so many people complained that Shiller made a point of mentioning it's return on the very next version of the Macbook. There were lots of cheers. I do not think Apple has ever referred to Firewire as a "Pro" feature. Jobs mentioned that Firewire was removed last time because there aren't a lot of devices that use it. He obviously doesn't troubleshoot problems on other Macs or try to bring over user information when Migration System fails.

Future, everybody has a Firewire device to attach to it. Namely, the old Mac you are replacing it with. The main benefit of Firewire is Target Disk mode. Both USB and Ethernet do not replace that valuable troubleshooting/back up tool. This is the first omission of a Mac feature where Apple doesn't replace it with something more valuable. The $999 buys you a faster more energy efficient computer, as usually is the case when a new model comes out. This one, however, removes a truly Mac feature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Your right. FireWire should be in *all* computers and it should stay in there forever regardless of whether the target market really has any FireWire devices to attach to it.

So what that pretty much all video cameras and removable hard drives are USB now? If one guy somewhere with a FireWire hard drive wants Firewire 400 ports, they should be there dammit! Because they are not making that thing for the majority, they are making it for me, and people like me who still have some FireWire devices and just don't want to switch or buy new gear.

I know that FireWire is on all the MacBook Pros, but even though I like the superiority that comes with using expensive FireWire devices, I'm cheap. I want to be able to buy the lowest-end, cheapest, entry-level MacBook and have it come with all the ports that a professional user would expect.

Apple is supposed to be building consumer products and I'm a consumer so I should always get exactly what I want. In fact if they don't give me everything I think I want, they aren't doing their job right, and it's probably evidence that the company itself is going to fail. This is because my experience is basically the yardstick by which everything must be decided.

• Reply 27 of 78
    A 13" MacBook Pro, with Firewire, card reader, backlit keyboard and up to 8GB of RAM capability is ONLY $200 more instead of $700 more like it used to be. While you are "holding out," you can save up $200 more and get what you really want.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    My step father has never heard of it either. Yet, when his Mac wouldn't boot because of a corrupted OS system file he certainly benefited from it. I hooked my Mac up to his using Firewire. I booted his in Target Disk mode. I replaced his corrupted system file in less then a minute.

Without Firewire, I would have to have reinstalled the OS. That would have taken hours. SInce he doesn't bak up files like he should (he is old), he probably would have lost docs. I've impressed many people fixing troubled Macs using Firewire.

Further, try moving your user file over from another Mac using Ethernet. With Firewire it takes less than a minute. With Ethernet you are going to spend quite a while dealing with user permissions issues.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

They're not interested in Firewire -- I doubt they've even heard of it. They want a small, light, good looking, well built laptop with a good screen, and a good battery life. And that's very easy to use, and doesn't require constant fettling. A card reader might be useful, but on the basis they've all got various Sony cameras, an SD slot is pretty useless! They want a good quality laptop that will last, so are willing to spend a bit extra to get it.

• Reply 29 of 78
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rahmanc View Post

A 13" MacBook Pro, with Firewire, card reader, backlit keyboard and up to 8GB of RAM capability is ONLY $200 more instead of $700 more like it used to be. While you are "holding out," you can save up $200 more and get what you really want.

I'm right with you there! Horses for courses; the Macbook is not intended for the geek or the pro user. They'll prob sell a motza to the school sector with educ. discounts, etc..
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Didn't Apple say something like 'Firewire is for the Pro' a while back? Anyway, I think the new MB looks pretty (except the underside), and when my MBP dies I think I would buy the new MB. I do miss a cardreader though. Every laptop has one these days, even my friend's tiny Samsung netbook!

Except for having FW in every iMac and Mini, yeah, it's a pro feature. This was dumb. So was losing IR. Hope both will be back, but for now it will be the first refurb previous gen MacBook for me. I can buy a spare power adapter and live with the 5 hours. Or for the same $999 a refurb 13" pro at 7 hours. I have easily a thousand dollars of FW equipment that gets used regularly for backup and video. And specs may be nice, but USB 2.0 can't hold a candle to FW400 in real external drive use.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Umm... OK, I got it. It was, in fact, for a young schoolgirl, that I bought that Mac Book of previous generation. She liked it white, not aluminum.

It's turned to be not portable, hence useless. So, MBP is indeed very viable competing option.

It's thus valuable input, thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    I wanna see a new imac teardown
  • Reply 33 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

I'm right with you there! Horses for courses; the Macbook is not intended for the geek or the pro user. They'll prob sell a motza to the school sector with educ. discounts, etc..

This happens at every refresh. Endless complaints, ranting and raving. Then it sells like crazy. Apple's notebooks are #1 in the industry. They're at the very core of record Mac sales, and people are lining up to buy them *in a recession.*

Remember: Apple fansites have no basis in reality. They're populated in large part by people who love Apple (love to complain?), but want a Windows-like hardware experience with an OS X interface. Except you can't have it both ways. In other words, they want hackintoshes with nicer cases.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

Your right. FireWire should be in *all* computers and it should stay in there forever regardless of whether the target market really has any FireWire devices to attach to it.

So what that pretty much all video cameras and removable hard drives are USB now? If one guy somewhere with a FireWire hard drive wants Firewire 400 ports, they should be there dammit! Because they are not making that thing for the majority, they are making it for me, and people like me who still have some FireWire devices and just don't want to switch or buy new gear.

I know that FireWire is on all the MacBook Pros, but even though I like the superiority that comes with using expensive FireWire devices, I'm cheap. I want to be able to buy the lowest-end, cheapest, entry-level MacBook and have it come with all the ports that a professional user would expect.

Apple is supposed to be building consumer products and I'm a consumer so I should always get exactly what I want. In fact if they don't give me everything I think I want, they aren't doing their job right, and it's probably evidence that the company itself is going to fail. This is because my experience is basically the yardstick by which everything must be decided.

• Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Umm... OK, I got it. It was, in fact, for a young schoolgirl, that I bought that Mac Book of previous generation. She liked it white, not aluminum.

It's turned to be not portable, hence useless. So, MBP is indeed very viable competing option.

It's thus valuable input, thanks.

baking powder?
  • Reply 36 of 78
    this new macbook is so pretty i almost want to cry

i want one so badly

i wonder if the keys will turn yellow like in the older model? i'm happy with my mbp, and it will be a while before i replace it

they should add a 15" option for macbooks
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

baking powder?

And this one is even more valuable! Personally, I'm far worse in baking realm, than I am in Apple machines' that, but demoiselle's mom may hopefully offer some assistance...
  • Reply 38 of 78
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    I can't believe the new MacBook doesn't have a floppy drive! That's a huge deal breaker for me! How could they do that?! I'm outraged.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:

I must say this is one of the funnier posts I've seen on these forums
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rahmanc View Post

This.