Google music partnership could compete with Apple's iTunes [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new report suggests Google will continue to expand into Apple's business territories, with a new music service partnership between the search giant and two established music providers rumored to have an "imminent" launch.



Update: CNet has provided more information on what is for now known as the "One Box for music." It is said to be a partnership between Google, Lala and iLike. It will be a part of Google Search, and will allow users to quickly discover song previews, artist info, pictures, video and more.



While all four record companies are said to be a part of the new deal, Google itself would not be selling the music. That would allegedly go through links to sites like iLike and Lala. "One Box" is the phrase Google uses to describe its search fields for video, weather, stock information and more.



While the partnership allegedly does not include any sort of desktop client, such a search feature could potentially cut into iTunes sales, as Apple currently controls the lion's share of the digital music download market.



It was reported that Google's interest is attracting music fans looking for information about artists. Compensation for record labels, however, would likely come from the Lala and iLike services.



Earlier Wednesday, Michael Arrington at TechCrunch said that Google has secured content rights from major music labels over the past several weeks in anticipation of the launch of a coming service, which one source referred to as "Google Audio." Details at this point are scarce, but the new product is said to be planned for "at least" U.S. users.



"We're still gathering details, but our understanding is the service will be very different to the Google China music download service that they launched in 2008," the report said. "That service, which is only available in China, allows users to search for music and download it for free."



In August, Google CEO Eric Schmidt resigned from the Apple Board of Directors, where he served since 2006. The move was necessary, both Schmidt and Apple said, as Google continues to step into the core businesses of Apple with the Android mobile operating system, Chrome desktop OS, and more. If true, Google Audio would represent yet another example of the company taking on Apple, this time in the iTunes realm.



Earlier this month, Dr. Arthur Levinson resigned from the Google Board of Directors. The former CEO of Genentech remains on Apple's own board.



Both moves were in response to an ongoing investigation from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, which was looking into the board connections for anticompetitive concerns. The commission has said since both resignations that it is satisfied with the decisions.



Both Google and Apple have also been involved in a spat over the Google Voice application, which has not been accepted into the iPhone App Store. Though it has appeared to outsiders that tension between the two technology giants has been growing, Schmidt recently denied that assumption, stating "We love the iPhone."
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 74
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Ouch! When does Apple remove all my Google Apps off my iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Hahahah jobsy youre gonna get really annoyed replacing all of apples apps with googles :o
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Eric was on the board a bit too long in my opinion.



    I think Apple should enter the search engine business.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    ...and Apple is again the stepping stone.



    When will you learn Jobsy?
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post


    ...and Apple is again the stepping stone.



    When will you learn Jobsy?



    Does reek of familiarity.



    However thankfully their user interfaces are equally atrocious. Though saying that, UI alone did not stop MSFT 'dominating' in the past.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Enough with Google. They have become the new Photocopier. To those at Apple: LOCK THE DOORS.



    Another "Also-ran".
  • Reply 7 of 74
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    to Launch Music Service to Compete Against iTunes



    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that . . .
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Wasn't Walmart supposed to dethrone iTunes? Wait, I think it was Amazon. No -- Google, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    stuffestuffe Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockaw View Post


    Wasn't Walmart supposed to dethrone iTunes? Wait, I think it was Amazon. No -- Google, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.



    My favourite was the CocaCola music store Hell, even Sony couldn't run their own, and they own half the content!
  • Reply 10 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Let me just say what a pathetic lack of ingenuity on the part of Microsoft and Google for all of 2008/2009/2010.



    In a just world, Eric Schmidt would be under investigation for theft of intellectual property.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    'Web's' dead anyway (he says controversially ) google need to diversify. Ha, I only say this because I have been using the traditional 'web' less and less since the iPhone.



    It's all about the app's.



    This has crossed my mind, web technologies are such a mess, why bother with html when you have interface builder and objective c?! (you dont need to give me reasons, i know)

    If there was an Appleinsider app,I would rarely fire my browser up on my laptop.



    Would Apple approve an Appleinsider app? They would probably say no out of spite!
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockaw View Post


    Wasn't Walmart supposed to dethrone iTunes? Wait, I think it was Amazon. No -- Google, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.



    That was walmart, a cruddy food store, they never had a hope in competing, this is google, slightly more qualified.



    If they release something like Spotify, itunes could be in trouble, I think it's a better model, all my friends have dumped iTunes in favor of Spotify, including myself, and it's growing at a ridiculous rate.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post


    Enough with Google. They have become the new Photocopier. To those at Apple: LOCK THE DOORS.



    Another "Also-ran".



    Apple did not invent the online music store, they just perfected the ideal of a music store that tightly integrated with a hardware device.



    It makes a lot of sense for Google to launch their own store now that they have Android & sometime next year will have Chrome OS. If you look at the apps they've been developing overtime or companies they've been buying it is clear that for a long long time they've been building the base for a media rich OS that can compete directly with OS X. Apple probably isn't too concerned anymore than Lexus would be concerned about Chrysler entering the luxury car genre.



    It's Microsoft who really should be shaking in their boots, they are behind the game on just about everything. They got so used to having a stranglehold on their market that they completely ignored the rapidly growing cloud computing movement that is also locking focus on 100% cross-platform functionality. All Microsoft knows how to do is proprietary, they just don't really get how to make money without forcing the masses into their formats. If Chrome OS is a hit, combined with Google Apps & who knows what else, Microsoft is screwed.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Right... Google music....



    Just like the android was supposed to displace the iphone



    Just like Google books was supposed to displace Barnes & Noble et al.



    Just like Google Health was supposed to become the new standard in healthcare databases



    Just like Google Chrome is supposed to replace Safari



    etc.



    Hey Google: go back to the search engine business
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post


    Apple did not invent the online music store, they just perfected the ideal of a music store that tightly integrated with a hardware device.



    It makes a lot of sense for Google to launch their own store now that they have Android & sometime next year will have Chrome OS. If you look at the apps they've been developing overtime or companies they've been buying it is clear that for a long long time they've been building the base for a media rich OS that can compete directly with OS X. Apple probably isn't too concerned anymore than Lexus would be concerned about Chrysler entering the luxury car genre.



    It's Microsoft who really should be shaking in their boots, they are behind the game on just about everything. They got so used to having a stranglehold on their market that they completely ignored the rapidly growing cloud computing movement that is also locking focus on 100% cross-platform functionality. All Microsoft knows how to do is proprietary, they just don't really get how to make money without forcing the masses into their formats. If Chrome OS is a hit, combined with Google Apps & who knows what else, Microsoft is screwed.



    I take back what I said earlier. I think you've nailed it here.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    the developer tools indicator in chromium is an exact ripoff of the ipod usage indicator



    http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/323...91021at113.jpg



    keep stealing, google
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post


    Right... Google music....



    Just like the android was supposed to displace the iphone



    Just like Google books was supposed to displace Barnes & Noble et al.



    Just like Google Health was supposed to become the new standard in healthcare databases



    Just like Google Chrome is supposed to replace Safari



    etc.



    Hey Google: go back to the search engine business



    they need to add themes to safari...like chromium has...
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post


    the developer tools indicator in chromium is an exact ripoff of the ipod usage indicator



    http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/323...91021at113.jpg



    keep stealing, google



    wow that really is identical.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,426member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    Eric was on the board a bit too long in my opinion.



    I think Apple should enter the search engine business.



    LOL, good idea. Having said that Apple tend to be original with their concepts unlike some others ...
  • Reply 20 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,426member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    That was walmart, a cruddy food store, they never had a hope in competing, this is google, slightly more qualified.



    If they release something like Spotify, itunes could be in trouble, I think it's a better model, all my friends have dumped iTunes in favor of Spotify, including myself, and it's growing at a ridiculous rate.



    Just curious, are you and your friends Mac or PC users? I ask as iTunes is used for some many things on a Mac I couldn't live without it.
Sign In or Register to comment.