Sun, Oracle save Microsoft's Pink after Danger data disaster

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

It seems unlikely that a single person could have maliciously killed the system.

Ordering such a large system to run without full backups because it's "too time consuming and difficult" sounds maliciously foolish to me.

Both Ballmer and Ho need to stand up and publicly take the fall for this.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSmith View Post

You can also bet that MS will never say thank you publically to Sun or Oracle for their help in rescuing their butts.

Even our small company (especially when compared to Microsoft) recognises the importance of backups, and we also have Oracle Replication set up on top of that so that databases can be switched instantly in case of failure.

A system like Danger's should have had all this, and more (off-site backup / hot-site).

It also highlights a critical design flaw with the Sidekick and Cloud-Only devices.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    All this expert opinion blaming MS Ho for everything. I smell scapegoat and can almost see the knife protruding from a certain back. Women in large organaisations are often favoured as scapegoats. Remember Abu Ghraib?

Her bio does not for one second imply a person without technical knowledge or general competence.

"Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see."
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milford View Post

Always impressive when, through the sheer power of idiocy, someone manages to single-handedly change the general condemnation of someone into a rally in her defense. And you gotta love that rhetorical move at the end: "I know racism is a cheap shot, but losing people's data isn't much better." WTF.

Milford, you are obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I ll explain it to you because I feel generous: Funny surnames are not attached to any creed. I am of Greek origin and a lot of my Greek American friends changed their surnames to make them more palatable. That was my suggestion here. Of course it's up to the individual. For an ms person heading such an incompetent department maybe mr./ms. Collosal Incompetence would be a more apt choice.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post

She is chinese mate. What does that have to do with anything? Please take your bigotry somewhere else.

BTW. the term Ho has only been used as whore by the US and only in the last 20 years. The surname Ho is by far older and more respected - re, Stanley Ho of Macau.

Btw MS blew this one big time. Sure the data was not mission critical but when you force people to rely on your "cloud" then there better be a real cloud.

like I said racism has nothing to do with it. Although I am not prima vista averse to racism I generally do not condone it. Anyway, I wouldn't want my daughter to be a Ho, I d change her surname. That's my 2 cs, I am not trying to impose it on anyone. But you do. Talk about fascism.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Um its Microsoft, They are run by Captain Bobo the Wonder Clown now.

It looks more like the late Ronald Reagan's costar Bonzo the Chimp...suffering from the advanced stages of senility. I take that back as it's an insult...to a chimp suffering from the advanced stages of senility--they just aren't this stupid.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

It looks more like the late Ronald Reagan's costar Bonzo the Chimp...suffering from the advanced stages of senility. I take that back as it's an insult...to a chimp suffering from the advanced stages of senility--they just aren't this stupid.

yes he's a monkey but very dangerous...inbred-looking and with god knows what genetic problems

just look at the criminal company he's running
  • Reply 48 of 55
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodcow View Post

Roz Ho is clearly incompetent, as seen by her management of this and the MacBU, and it's amazing she still has a job.

actually... if you look at who's at the helm at microsoft, roz is probably going to go far!
  • Reply 49 of 55
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Everytime I hear the name Roz, this is all I can think of....

"I'm always watching you....."

• Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

While this may be true, the lack of a successful Backup and Restore process leads me to believe something else is wrong here. My guess is that a) there simply was an inadequate system in place (unlikely) or b) proper backup and restore procedures were not followed.

The facts don't seem to support that assumption. It looks like this was more a deadline issue. They needed the SAN work done but the 5 day backup time was going to delay the implementation.

This MS fool decided to take the risk that the SAN work wouldn't cause an issue. Bad call. In my place you'd be shown the door for that. Her own people were advising here against it and she chose to ignore them.

I do a couple of these kinds of migrations every year on databases that size on Solaris and Linux. Not doing a backup before SAN updates unbelievable. This person really should be managing a department that she understands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

If this were a Sun/Oracle/Hitachi environment, some sort of Backup and Restore system *should* have been in place. Maybe this information was lost with the user data

The system was in place but it takes 5 days to do the backup.

They haven't mentioned how frequently backups are performed.

With a database of that size I'd imagine they are less frequent.

Having a backup on your data is one thing. Having a recent backup that is useful can be another.

With the kind of SLAs they have committed to they need to consider a clustered multi-SAN solution.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeyronMick View Post

The facts don't seem to support that assumption. It looks like this was more a deadline issue. They needed the SAN work done but the 5 day backup time was going to delay the implementation.

This MS fool decided to take the risk that the SAN work wouldn't cause an issue. Bad call. In my place you'd be shown the door for that. Her own people were advising here against it and she chose to ignore them.

I do a couple of these kinds of migrations every year on databases that size on Solaris and Linux. Not doing a backup before SAN updates unbelievable. This person really should be managing a department that she understands.

But that's a project management issue (specifically the critical path). Any executive should understand that, you don't need to be some IT guru.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeyronMick View Post

The system was in place but it takes 5 days to do the backup.

They haven't mentioned how frequently backups are performed.

With a database of that size I'd imagine they are less frequent.

Having a backup on your data is one thing. Having a recent backup that is useful can be another.

With the kind of SLAs they have committed to they need to consider a clustered multi-SAN solution.

The funniest thing is that the system they had in place could've handled this. The primary point I made earlier still stands: VLDBs need a VLDB backup and recovery strategy. The technology was in place; the problem was that the Microsofties who took over the infrastructure didn't understand enough about Oracle and RAC to know how to accomplish this.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    You know what, the very least T-Mobile should do is provide free of charge the hardware and software required to do local backups to their Danger customers.

That's what I would do as a start to apologise.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You know what, the very least T-Mobile should do is provide free of charge the hardware and software required to do local backups to their Danger customers.

That's what I would do as a start to apologise.

Re-read the article. The infrastucture for this phone doesn't support it. Your data exists on the Sidekick phone or it exists on the Microsoft/Danger servers (e.g. "The Cloud"). That's it.

What you are suggesting would require something that doesn't currently exist. Either a way to sync the phone data to a Mac/PC (relatively easy) and write the data back from the Mac/PC to the phone (possibly not so easy). Or a way to sync from "The Cloud" to a Mac/PC (relatively easy) and write the data back from the Mac/PC to "The Cloud" (doable but with security implications). And Microsoft has shown a desire to kill off the platform in the first place, so don't hold your breath for any of this to happen.

From a consumer perspective, you're much better off buying into a cell phone platform where you already own and control access to your own data than relying on the benevolence of a company like Microsoft to fix it for you after they've screwed it up. Which pretty much sums up this thread.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "CNET "Beyond Binary" columnist Ina Fried"

Completely appropriate for her/him (a man undergoing a sex change) - not a 1 or a 0.

I'll let you figure out which represents men and which women.

• Reply 55 of 55
    dewoodydewoody Posts: 1member
    iPhone Data Recovery can also be used as iCloud backup data recovery. It can download the iCloud backup file and retrieve photos from iCloud. It can also retrieve pictures, text messages, iMessages, videos, contacts, notes, calendar, reminder, voicemail, voice memo, WhatsApp Messages, and other data from iCloud backup files. In total, this software can recover 19 kinds of data from iCloud backup files.

To learn more about free iPhone data recovery, please visit
    http://www.freeiphonedatarecovery.com/