Apple's new Magic Mouse disassembled with pictures

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    "Magic Mouse uses powerful laser tracking that’s far more sensitive and responsive on more surfaces than traditional optical tracking."



    -- http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/



    Is that for real or Apple spin?
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Well, that's a bit of a disappointment, unless you can configure it via software to also not need the click. Apple's description says, "click and double-click anywhere," so perhaps this is the case. The next version will perhaps dispense with the click altogether, and the laser based tracking, and go completely touch. I think this is a much better form factor than a trackpad for touch based computer input*, but too much change all at once might have been more than many could comfortably handle.



    * And much better than touch screen which is completely non-ergonomic for anything but handheld devices.



    It is a button.



    How would you select a file without depressing, i.e., clicking, the mouse? How would you do it on a MacBook without pressing down on the trackpad?
  • Reply 63 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    You're free to think that. However... 15 years of 'palming' my mouse is a lot of inertia to overcome. And by the way... anecdotally... I've never had even the slightest twinge of wrist pain, tendonitis, carpal tunnel... etc. No issues.



    I agree that there will be a certain amount of "retraining" and overcoming of inertia required, but such is the price of progress.



    On the other hand, there will probably still be plenty of mice on the market that support other styles of mousing. Apple's mice clearly have tended to support a certain style of use, Microsoft's another, and other companies' one or more of their own. No one style will ever make anyone happy, which is why there's such a big aftermarket for input devices. I think this is an important advance for the style of mouse Apple produces, but maybe it's not for everyone.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    takeotakeo Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Is that for real or Apple spin?



    Real. I've been using laser mice for year. They are a million times better than optical. They will track on practically anything other than glass.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    Yes... tactile feedback sucks. I guess that's why companies are working so hard to add tactile feedback to touch screens eh? And how exactly would a mouse without tracking work?



    Just as a trackpad does.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    You spend that much a month on cable tv though, right?



    More, and?
  • Reply 67 of 129
    takeotakeo Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    I agree that there will be a certain amount of "retraining" and overcoming of inertia required, but such is the price of progress.



    On the other hand, there will probably still be plenty of mice on the market that support other styles of mousing. Apple's mice clearly have tended to support a certain style of use, Microsoft's another, and other companies' one or more of their own. No one style will ever make anyone happy, which is why there's such a big aftermarket for input devices. I think this is an important advance for the style of mouse Apple produces, but maybe it's not for everyone.



    Yup. I'm skeptical of the thin profile. But I'm certainly anxious to try it. I LOVE the swipe gesture on my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    takeotakeo Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Just as a trackpad does.



    Right. But then it would be a trackpad... not a mouse. No?
  • Reply 69 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    It is a button.



    How would you select a file without depressing, i.e., clicking, the mouse? How would you do it on a MacBook without pressing down on the trackpad?



    Hmmm, I'm not at my Mac, and I guess it's become so natural that I don't even think about it, but I believe it's tap+hold for a second, which selects and "locks" the selection, then, drag, and tap again to drop.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    Real. I've been using laser mice for year. They are a million times better than optical. They will track on practically anything other than glass.



    Ok - I misread read it . It was comparing to optical. SO in other words its the exact same as the Apple Mouse ( sorry Mighty, I have to let you go).
  • Reply 71 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:



    Teckstud, Although I agree with you on the battery situation , I'll hold my opinion until I can actually work with one. I must say though, that to see 4 posts in 5 minutes makes me wonder if you're just trying to build up your post count or just no coffee yet and having trouble building a complete thought. just askin'
  • Reply 72 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I never said I was poor.



    haha .. great comeback ... I love the smell of humor in the morning!
  • Reply 73 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    More, and?



    You really don't have a clue what you respond to and what your own posts are about, do you?

  • Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    Right. But then it would be a trackpad... not a mouse. No?



    Well, it would be a touch input device. Trackpad, mouse, whatever, but I'm thinking of something with more the form factor of a mouse than a trackpad.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post


    Except, how much added cost are all of those touch sensors? Stating that the price should be lower simply because the bluetooth chip is "low-cost" is pointless if everything else is a premium component (for now).



    That circuit doesn't seem all that special, it's a flexible printed circuit bonded to a shell. It is custom, but I don't think it's an expensive part, pretty cheap in the volumes Apple is going to sell, including one with most iMacs sold. But Apple may set whatever price they like, there are alternative mice even though this is currently the only one of its kind.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    The only way to operate any mouse is to prop your fingertips on top and make them dance like a ballerina. How do you use your current scroll ball? Jedi mind tricks?



    Why do you think there is only one good way to control the mouse?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    You're definitely wrong. There are many people who don't palm their mouse.



    But isn't it tiring to do this for hours at a time?
  • Reply 76 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Teckstud, Although I agree with you on the battery situation , I'll hold my opinion until I can actually work with one. I must say though, that to see 4 posts in 5 minutes makes me wonder if you're just trying to build up your post count or just no coffee yet and having trouble building a complete thought. just askin'



    No- the opposite- too much coffee. I don't even like counting posts. I am holding my opinion until I caress and stroke it today at lunch.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    You really don't have a clue what you respond to and what your own posts are about, do you?





    Me? Did you read the post I was responding to? What does my cable bill have to do with pre-ordering a mouse I haven't read a full review of nor even touched?
  • Reply 78 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Gizmodo is great.





    Yea, they appeal to all the "negative nellies" Note to all complainers: have any of you actually used it yet ... When I was born I thought my penis was a POS ... all it did was soil my diapers ... but then, magically, when I got to be older and wiser I actually got to know what a great piece of equipment it was ... I 'll hold off on my judgment of magic mouse until I experience it for myself.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Yea, they appeal to all the "negative nellies" Note to all complainers: have any of you actually used it yet ... When I was born I thought my penis was a POS ... all it did was soil my diapers ... but then, magically, when I got to be older and wiser I actually got to know what a great piece of equipment it was ... I 'll hold off on my judgment of magic mouse until I experience it for myself.



    Well then will you stop sipping, put down that Koolatra brew and get on with it? [/quote]



    Maybe he'll do that when you take off your aluminum foil hat.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post


    especially since Apples mice suck. why would anyone buy this next disaster without seeing and using it first hand.





    why would anyone "buy" (assume) this (is) next disaster without seeing and using it first hand?
Sign In or Register to comment.