2002: The Triumphant Return of the Democrats?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I predict the Democrats shall regain the House come November and strengthen their lead in the Senate. With such selfish and dimwitted Republican economic policies as the massive tax cut for the rich, it is no wonder that Americans are beginning to realize to vote with their minds and not their wallets. With no federal surplus project until the year 2006 with proactive measures, the situation seems grim.

And such with mentality, the Republicans are sealing their doom with such foolish measures such as the ending of bipartisanship as outline in the article quoted below.

From the DNC,

[quote]Washington, DC -- The evidence is now crystal clear, after failing to jam billions of dollars in corporate welfare and special interests goodies through congressional Democrats, Republicans from the White House, the RNC and now Newt Gingrich's pollsters have ended all bipartisanship and returned to the politics of personal attacks.

"I am extremely disappointed in the Republicans' return to the politics of personal partisan attacks," said DNC Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "Democrats have an economic recovery plan that focuses on economic growth, creates jobs and helps those 2.2 million Americans who have lost their jobs or health insurance this year. After failing to pass billions in corporate welfare for a few big companies, the GOP has launched a partisan campaign of name-calling and personal attacks. Congressional Democrats have stood up to this giveaway and stand ready to work with Republicans to pass a recovery plan that is targeted to people and businesses hurt by the recession and provide immediate relief.

"The Republican memo contained warnings of their political weaknesses in the upcoming 2002 elections. They called on Republicans to finger-point and name call to hide the weakness of their failed attempt to provide more raids on the Social Security Trust and other deficit spending for the special interests."

"It is obvious that Republicans are already running scared in 2002," said McAuliffe. "It is a shame that they have to resort to such desperate and transparent tactics as a way to try to influence the American people. At a time when Americans are counting on their political leaders to provide strength and support, the Republicans have again turned to finger-pointing and have let down the American people."

<hr></blockquote>

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    go **** yourself
  • Reply 2 of 43
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>go **** yourself</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shouldn't that be "go i**** yourself"?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>

Shouldn't that be "go i**** yourself"? </strong><hr></blockquote>

lol
  • Reply 4 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Ditto. Your a ****ing idiot, Nostradamus.

Listen to Mr. Daschle for awhile and tell me who is partisan. He blames the "Bush Tax Cut" for the surplus reduction and the slowdown.....and tax cut that hasn't even taken effect yet. He went on national television after Bush's first major address to congress and tried to say that Reganomics sank the economy into 12 years of doom.......this is called revising history.

The Democrats have somehow convinced America (well...until 9/11 anyway) that paying 60% of their income to a government agency (do the math) is the right thing to do. What a ****ing joke. At least the Republicans ADMIT to being rich fat cats.....at least they admit favoring business, which by the way, is generally good for the economy, not bad. Regan proved that. Without his revolution the country very well may have sunk into a full blown DEPRESSION.

Moron.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    BTW, Terry M. is also a ****ing idiot. That article accuses the republicans of being "tax and spend". What a joke. Deficit spending????? WTF???? Whose fault is that.? The GOP??? BWWWHAHAHAHAHA

Also, the last time I checked we had a recovery package sitting in the Demo controlled senate that the GOP controlled house had already approved....hmmm.....who is holding up things now?

OMFG I hate liberal idiots.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    They Both Suck! I hate liberals and I hate conservatives, they're all just a bunch of ****ing no brained morons.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>BTW, Terry M. is also a ****ing idiot. That article accuses the republicans of being "tax and spend". What a joke. Deficit spending????? WTF???? Whose fault is that.? The GOP??? BWWWHAHAHAHAHA

Also, the last time I checked we had a recovery package sitting in the Demo controlled senate that the GOP controlled house had already approved....hmmm.....who is holding up things now?

OMFG I hate liberal idiots.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can I get an "AMEN?" DAMN, you are so right! i'm sick of all those Demos. bitchin and whining all the time and blamin everything on us
  • Reply 8 of 43

Such a typical Republican's personal attack. I guess resort to this when you people can't even make up facts.

Hillary for 2004!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Nostradamus, don't whine about being personally attacked when you post such idiotic tripe as you posted above. That mess is an affront to everyone with a brain.

The Republicans are quite guilty of deficit spending, just look at the Reagan era! That was the order of the day for God's sake!

I'm not here to say it was good or bad, but the fact is deficit spending is not foreign to the Republican.

I don't see Democrats returning to any kind of power by slinging mud, but what do I know?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by trick fall:

<strong>They Both Suck! I hate liberals and I hate conservatives, they're all just a bunch of ****ing no brained morons.</strong><hr></blockquote>I hate people that say "I hate both liberals and conservatives!"

You suck!

:cool:
  • Reply 11 of 43
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    There was a thread started a few days ago claiming that "Windows users are sheep." While I don't disagree with this sentiment on the whole, I think by now it should be obvious to anyone with even marginal cranial capacity that

"Anyone who blindly follows either the Republican or Democratic party - while claiming the other to be inferior - is also a sheep." Or more to the point ,"Anyone who blindly votes down party lines is a sheep."

Wake up folks. It may be our system and some people may feel like they're forced to choose, but both parties are indeed fu*ked. You can find a mixture of very competant and completely incompetant representatives in both parties. You can find people who are truly passionate and educated on various issues, and you can find people who want to know just enough to get on television every week - Orrin Hatchet-job comes to mind. In the end it always comes down to superficial mud-slinging about tax rates and either crime or education. You'd think people would've caught on by now...

...that people would realize despite all the lip service one way or another, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the average Republican and the Average Democrat. In the end, both will promise anything to their constituents to get re-elected, both are more concerned about their own trip up the Capital Hill ladder than they are about fixing the legal system, the educational system or the health care system, etc. etc.

Frankly I think they ought to do away with the party system and simply let everyone speak to the issues as they would if they were sitting at your dinner table. The labels do nothing but give a false sense of political identity to those who are either too politically uneducated or too blind to understand that a career politician is a career politician, no matter what side of the isle he sits on.

Further, why is it we have to call anyone who favors the death penalty (for example) conservative or anyone who doesn't like the proliferation of guns (for anothe) a liberal? It's the most assinine game we have and it doesn't help the political process in any way. All we get each year are two or three "push button" issues that THEY decide upon (not us) and then we have to decide between their no-grey-area stances.

We need more grey in American politics because most of the issues we have to deal with are by definition not black and white. There are logical arguments behind both sides of each issue. Why can't we demand the politicians treat it as such?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 43
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    I generally don't post however...

This is the most rediculous post I have ever read.

Hillary for president? Did you watch Hillary when Bush addressed Congress? Anyone that shows a complete lack of respect at such a time is one of the following:

1. Only interested in themselves.

2. Very stupid to not put on a front for others to see.

Also, the idea that tax cuts only benefit the rich is utterly crazy. Do you work for a poor person? Who provides jobs for nealy everyone...rich people. Why are they rich...HARD work!!!!! Just because someone works hard and is successful at what they do doesn't mean they should be penalized for the sake of people who aren't.

I am soo tired of this Democrat/Republican BS. It's nouthing but destructive for America.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    The Democrats did such a great job on the "economic stimulus package".

OT Did anyone notice what a failure Jeffords has been? He handed it over the Dems and got NOTHING for it. He wont be reelected and IMO should face a recall.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    [quote] "Anyone who blindly votes down party lines is a sheep." <hr></blockquote>

Right on brotha! I'm a Republican and I stand up for what I believe in but if an election comes along and I don't feel like it is wise to vote for a Republican candidate I simply won't.

I have a democrat friend that would vote for Satan himself as long as he was a democratic nominee. It's sad.

If your voter registration says "Republican" or "Democrat" it is not a legally binding term of agreement that you must vote that line.

IMHO Bush is doing an excellent job. It scares me that algore was so close to being in the hotseat. He woulda run off like a scared pussycat on 9/11. Bush is a Texan... no one messes with our shit and lives to tell about it!

Mac Guru
  • Reply 15 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike:

<strong>I generally don't post however...

This is the most rediculous post I have ever read.

Hillary for president? Did you watch Hillary when Bush addressed Congress? Anyone that shows a complete lack of respect at such a time is one of the following:

1. Only interested in themselves.

2. Very stupid to not put on a front for others to see.

Also, the idea that tax cuts only benefit the rich is utterly crazy. Do you work for a poor person? Who provides jobs for nealy everyone...rich people. Why are they rich...HARD work!!!!! Just because someone works hard and is successful at what they do doesn't mean they should be penalized for the sake of people who aren't.

I am soo tired of this Democrat/Republican BS. It's nouthing but destructive for America.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly! My dad owns a small business which employs 12 people. And he had to pay $100000's of taxes this last year. With the economy bad and all, he had to lay off 2 of them because of the high taxes, he couldn't pay them (he's re-hired them since). And the Democrats talking about getting rid of the tax cuts is rediculous. If you raise taxes then the business owners can't afford to pay all of their employees and the economy slips further into recession.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    We don't know what Gore would have done. Although he sat behind a typewriter he was Army. He must have gone through OCS and basic training? He's got to have some "fight" in him.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Just making sure everyone notices that this "Nostradamus" guy is not me, "NORDstrOdamus."

My 4 cents-

1. two party system sucks

2. Bush's experience defending Texas against the Vietnamese is no more impressive a feat of heroism than Al Gore's typing.

3. Response to WTC attack would have been just the same with Gore except he might also be making some effort to get us of oil so we don't have to fight a war in the middle east every coming decade.

4. Impersonating someone's nick is lame.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nordstrodamus:

<strong>Just making sure everyone notices that this "Nostradamus" guy is not me, "NORDstrOdamus."

My 4 cents-

1. two party system sucks

2. Bush's experience defending Texas against the Vietnamese is no more impressive a feat of heroism than Al Gore's typing.

3. Response to WTC attack would have been just the same with Gore except he might also be making some effort to get us of oil so we don't have to fight a war in the middle east every coming decade.

4. Impersonating someone's nick is lame.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree re #1.

Re #3 I disagree. Due to Bush's heritage (father) I think there was more respect for him. With all due respect Gore is a dope. I didn't realize this until watching the Democratic debates. I do think it would be wise for us to become less dependant on oil but I don't think it will happen until the oil supply is GONE altogether.

Re #4 I agree
  • Reply 19 of 43
    The Republicans knew the tax cut was too big. The tax cut is about 60% of the reason why we are projecting dificits as far as the eye can see from surpluses the eye could see.

Bush naturally will use this as an excuse to weasel out of his campaign promises such as prescription drugs, HMO reform and will drain the social security trust fund for tax cuts for the rich in hope to "stimulate" the economy.

• Reply 20 of 43
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    [quote]I hate people that say "I hate both liberals and conservatives!"

You suck!

<hr></blockquote>

Good, I really don't care. Don't any of you realize that the system is just screwed as it is now? It's not about right or wrong, good or bad, it's about who is paying the bills. I used to cut checks for a PAC, you think the Republicans didn't do a 180 and support what we wanted as soon as those checks were made out to them? Same for Democrats.