Matte iMac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Just checking for updates. I can't believe nobody makes these, there must be large thousands of people dissatisfied with the glare, both iMac and Cinema Display users.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raf View Post

Just checking for updates. I can't believe nobody makes these, there must be large thousands of people dissatisfied with the glare, both iMac and Cinema Display users.

I'd agree, however I think the size and construction of the part makes it complicated to produce and ship. I'm really curious to see what kind of demand there is for this. I'll post pictures when I get my hands on the prototype. I'm sure it won't come out perfect the first time.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Now that I have my 27" iMac, I have to say that glare is not a problem at all. On the other hand, there is some reflection, but it's easy to deal with by desk placement and lighting selection.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Now that I have my 27" iMac, I have to say that glare is not a problem at all. On the other hand, there is some reflection, but it's easy to deal with by desk placement and lighting selection.

Are you saying the 27 inch has less glare than the 24 inch? I had a look at the 27 and figured the glare was just as bad. Ofcourse lighting can make a big difference.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    tell us about your theory about fixing the uneven backlight??

thanks a lot
  • Reply 46 of 69
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I just came across this article. I wonder how to get it to SJ. Maybe he could find a way to make this apply to glossy monitors.

Nanoparticle coating can suppress light reflection

The article starts out like this:

(Nanowerk News) Stuttgart physicists develop a new metallic coating. Whether eyewear or camera lenses: most optical components are anti-glare. Soon nanotechnology could be applied to the coating of optical glasses: Researchers of the University of Stuttgart?s 1st Physical Institute have come to know that coating with metallic nano particles can suppress light reflection almost entirely.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=...nology+News%29
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Give it some time ... like a few years. I saw some demos at CES and I was completely unimpressed. Possibly the German version is better than the Korean (LG) version: the germans have always been especially adept at precision methodology -- of the sort required for growing nanomolecules.

In the meantime, my plans to make a museum glass bezel are thwarted because I have no problem with the current bezel. All I did was move my desk. darn.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I want to recommend the imac to so many people and buy a few for family and that damn glare won't let me... I wish they would do something about it...
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I want to recommend the imac to so many people and buy a few for family and that damn glare won't let me... I wish they would do something about it...

Yeah, well I had a bezel cut but unfortunately it does not fit so I'll have to have another go at it. Was too busy the last few months to work on this stuff but I think I'll have another go at it. Basically, my plan it to cut a bezel out of clear plastic with a cnc machine, paint the back of the plastic black, then apply matte film to the display itself. Basically, the display glass would be exposed just like the old school white iMacs. I figure to fully convert an iMac to matte it would cost about $50 bux for the bezel plus the cost of whatever matte film you use.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I have found a semi-solution to the glare problem without resorting to an after market one.

I tried all the desktop colors and found a solid one that cuts the glare somewhat. If I have Word or another Office app open, I don't get as much glare from the background. It may not work when using other apps, but it could help. It's worth a try.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Yeah, well I had a bezel cut but unfortunately it does not fit so I'll have to have another go at it. Was too busy the last few months to work on this stuff but I think I'll have another go at it. Basically, my plan it to cut a bezel out of clear plastic with a cnc machine, paint the back of the plastic black, then apply matte film to the display itself. Basically, the display glass would be exposed just like the old school white iMacs. I figure to fully convert an iMac to matte it would cost about $50 bux for the bezel plus the cost of whatever matte film you use.

Hey keep us posted on how this goes, a lot of people will be very interested in this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I have found a semi-solution to the glare problem without resorting to an after market one.

I tried all the desktop colors and found a solid one that cuts the glare somewhat. If I have Word or another Office app open, I don't get as much glare from the background. It may not work when using other apps, but it could help. It's worth a try.

Hey can you post the colour set up?

The crux though of the matter here is that apple is limiting us by taking such a stubborn position with the glassy designs and forcing us into all sorts of diy just to get some basic usability. I have a couple of 24" white imacs, latest intel they offered, and I am very happy with them, but eventually I will have to upgrade, I want to run cad on parallels, memory is limited and the like.

Like I said I d like to get quite a few family members and friends out of pc hell. But how can I get say my X years old mom with her wonderful eizo screen at the moment a glares galore aluminum imac? I would be doing her a disservice seeing as I have used computers so long and know how more superior an anti glare (or matte) option is for everything but watching a few movies or doing photography work (and that is also debatable)...

I think apple is impossibly stubborn in this issue. They could be selling a few hundred thousand more macs easily if they conceded to some form of solution here, yet they don't even seem to be listening, they are so disparaging in this respect. Sure glass looks lovely, sure it's the new design cue, but it simple won't work for such a large % of people. I sincerely wish they figure out the kinks, and that they are very actively working in coming out with a superior glass option that will minimize glare, be it museum glass or whatever they can come up with. But they SHOULD be ACTIVELY involved in r&d to come up with something, this is not a matter of firewire or no firewire, blu ray or no blu ray, this is a major usability issue for so many people, and since they opted for the glass design they should eventually make it a workable option too....

...like I said, I surely hope they are actively working at fixing this, but until they do, I am very pissed off at them because they have tied our hands here so much, all of us who like and enjoy the mac platform and ecosystem...
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Originally Posted by sequitur

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Hey can you post the colour set up?

System preferences/Desktop&SceenSaver/Desktop/SolidColors/Solid Gray Dark.

This one worked for me; however, I have a translucent shade on the only window and that's behind the computer. The shade cuts out about half the light coming from the south and that's the brightest sunlight I receive, I checked using several apps and I have NO glare with this set up. I was surprised by the glare on the iMac at Best Buy.

Try all the desktop colors. One may possibly work for you.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    hey thanks sequitor!!!
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Well, its back at the shop. They will have another go at it and hopefully it will come out right this time. The size and shape, combined with the light weight causes the material to move too much when being cut so it came out crooked. I could also have this injection moulded or cast but that would only be viable if I wanted to make 1000 of them. I'll just have to wait and see.

Another solution would be to do it just like Apple and make a cast or machined aluminum bezel but I see several problems with that when going to larger displays. The iMac bezel is 1/16th inch thick. A part like that could be easily warped or damaged in manufacturing or transit, especially when going to 27 inches. I hear they cant even keep the glass bezel from breaking in shipping on the newer iMacs.

I've also been thinking about fibreglass or carbon fibre but I'm not sure if those would be viable at 1/16th inch thickness. I know Ferrari vacuums moulds their carbon fibre into some very precise shapes so it might be possible.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    What happpneed??!! Whyhas this thread ended?! lol im just looking in to buy the new 27 inch imac and all these solutions to replace the glass display has gotten me intrigued! Did the samples of the museum glass make a big difference? Did making a black panel to replace the ugly edges work out??!!

THANK YOU!
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cswetta View Post

What happpneed??!! Whyhas this thread ended?! lol im just looking in to buy the new 27 inch imac and all these solutions to replace the glass display has gotten me intrigued! Did the samples of the museum glass make a big difference? Did making a black panel to replace the ugly edges work out??!!

THANK YOU!

I had a replacement bezel cut. Basically a thin plastic peice that acts as a border, with the center cut out so you can use a matte film. Unfortunatly, it's difficult to cut 1/16 inch plastic with a CNC machine. The material moves around too much. I think the only solution is to have an aluminum or steel border cut but that's too expensive for me to bother with at the moment. Maybe some time in the future I might mess with this again if apple sticks with using glass.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Yesterday I was standing and testing the 30 inch apple cinema display with the 27 inch imac.. To be honest, its my preference that I do not like true colors and the grainy look and rather have the colors POP and be very vivid like from the 27 inch, although the glass was simply terrible, lovely mirror nonetheless. For me, a good solution is the gloss finish, its not ideal but its certainly the only option... colors are good and its not half as reflective and this means using the imac without the glass on top which I am totally fine with. I did call up local glaziers to check up on prices on museum glass and acrlyic glass but its way too thick and costs more than a grand!

That option went flying out the window!

Now BDBLACK, what you've done seems like a very good idea to cover the edges and I would really appreciate it if I could see a picture, if its too much trouble, because it seems like your approach is the only one that I can adapt to.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

Yesterday I was standing and testing the 30 inch apple cinema display with the 27 inch imac.. To be honest, its my preference that I do not like true colors and the grainy look and rather have the colors POP and be very vivid like from the 27 inch, although the glass was simply terrible, lovely mirror nonetheless. For me, a good solution is the gloss finish, its not ideal but its certainly the only option... colors are good and its not half as reflective and this means using the imac without the glass on top which I am totally fine with. I did call up local glaziers to check up on prices on museum glass and acrlyic glass but its way too thick and costs more than a grand!

That option went flying out the window!

Now BDBLACK, what you've done seems like a very good idea to cover the edges and I would really appreciate it if I could see a picture, if its too much trouble, because it seems like your approach is the only one that I can adapt to.

Don't have a picture unfortunately. The part I had made didn't fit because of the material moving around too much on the CNC machine. I never managed to get one cut properly. Plastic is no good as the iMac bezel is only 1/16 inch thick. The material is like jello at that thickness and it can't be cut at the required accuracy. Metal is the only material that will work. If I do manage to get one cut out of metal some time I'll post a picture here.

I think aluminum would be the perfect material as it's fairly strong and easy to cut. It would have to be cut damn accurate though, and it would need some very thin steel glued to the back for the magnets to hold on.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Don't have a picture unfortunately. The part I had made didn't fit because of the material moving around too much on the CNC machine. I never managed to get one cut properly. Plastic is no good as the iMac bezel is only 1/16 inch thick. The material is like jello at that thickness and it can't be cut at the required accuracy. Metal is the only material that will work. If I do manage to get one cut out of metal some time I'll post a picture here.

I think aluminum would be the perfect material as it's fairly strong and easy to cut. It would have to be cut damn accurate though, and it would need some very thin steel glued to the back for the magnets to hold on.

Oh I get it now... I actually just found this place that does alot of glass work. And she told me she's got some sort of anti reflective glass which is 2mm thick. Hopefully ill try to make some time and go have a look at it as soon as possible and would cost around $40 cut perfectly to the size i need. Although its just really difficult finding the exact specifications of the glass such as its exact size and thickness. Would you happen to have these details?

Ah and if this piece of glass is actually a good substitute I gotta find someone who can do the aluminum cutting lol

Another question, if I do decide to just use the iMac without the glass at the front on a permanant basis, does it really make a difference as to weather it should or should not be used without the glass on a long term basis?

Ah it would be bloody convenient if you could just buy the glass piece of Apple and then cut out the glass in the middle and leave the borders and leave that stuck on!
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:

Oh I get it now... I actually just found this place that does alot of glass work. And she told me she's got some sort of anti reflective glass which is 2mm thick. Hopefully ill try to make some time and go have a look at it as soon as possible and would cost around $40 cut perfectly to the size i need. Although its just really difficult finding the exact specifications of the glass such as its exact size and thickness. Would you happen to have these details?

Ah and if this piece of glass is actually a good substitute I gotta find someone who can do the aluminum cutting lol

Another question, if I do decide to just use the iMac without the glass at the front on a permanant basis, does it really make a difference as to weather it should or should not be used without the glass on a long term basis?

Ah it would be bloody convenient if you could just buy the glass piece of Apple and then cut out the glass in the middle and leave the borders and leave that stuck on!

I only have measurements for the 24 inch iMac. Also, a word of caution: that glass is 1/16 inches thick. It's very thin and those corners are not simple curves. The cut would have to be very exact. I think it would be impossible to do by hand. Also the glass panel is reinforced with steel around the border which attaches to the iMac with magnets. The glass would be very fragile without this border. The paint around the borders has to have spaces for the IR sensor and iSight.

Really though, I don't think AR glass will be much of an improvement.