Study suggests $600 mass-market sweet spot for Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    $600 iTablet from Apple? Nope. I am not interested in buying junk. If I want that, I can get something from Acer.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

History suggest studies are way off when it comes to Apple. The tablet will be around $1,000 I'd say. If it's the type of tablet I want that is.

Are you talking about a Tablet with a self-lubricating hole in the middle?
  • Reply 23 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Are you talking about a Tablet with a self-lubricating hole in the middle?

No, I'm talking about Mac touch.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

A survey on price before the device is actually seen is meaningless.

It's my understanding that this is exactly how pricing works.

Price is determined first, via market research, polls, etc. From that, cost levels are set. And from those, actual capabilities are established.

Not only would Apple have decided how much the Tablet would cost before they started, they would likely already know where the profit margin would be as production ramps up and after the first spec bump. Maybe two.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:

No, I'm talking about Mac touch.

Hot. What kind of bezel are you hoping for?
  • Reply 26 of 127
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

First

Excellent quote you posted (the entire article) but did not refer to at all in your post.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

$600 iTablet from Apple? Nope. I am not interested in buying junk. If I want that, I can get something from Acer.

If you want to see emotional reply, here is classic! This person does not know the specs of the tablet and already calling it junk because he does not like Apple or had a bad experience.

People wonder why some of us do not respect their opinion!
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Next time you rush to be first try not repeating the entire article please

Next time you rush to criticize someone, maybe you could also have something relevant to say?

We all know they are coming out with a bigger iphone type device. This guy said it out loud to his employees so they won't be caught behind the wave next time. Really a big deal? I don't think so.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Quote:

History suggest studies are way off when it comes to Apple. The tablet will be around $1,000 I'd say. If it's the type of tablet I want that is.

Right. If you'd have asked back in 2001 how many people would be willing to spend $400 on a portable digital music player you no doubt would have concluded that Apple couldn't possibly make a success out of the iPod. In fact even AFTER it appeared, and AFTER we knew what it could do, many still doubted that it could succeed at that price. So what is the lesson here?
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

If you want to see emotional reply, here is classic! This person does not know the specs of the tablet and already calling it junk because he does not like Apple or had a bad experience.

He doesn't dislike Apple, he just dislikes paying less than $600 for giant iPhones. Or, he loves Apple so much that he wants to pay extra.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:

Hot. What kind of bezel are you hoping for?

Strage question. If you must know, here:

• Reply 32 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Or he could mean that if it's built for under $600 it's quality could be compromised. But don't let that get in the way of your flame.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Removed. [Others noted the same thing in spades.]
  • Reply 34 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Right. If you'd have asked back in 2001 how many people would be willing to spend $400 on a portable digital music player you no doubt would have concluded that Apple couldn't possibly make a success out of the iPod. In fact even AFTER it appeared, and AFTER we knew what it could do, many still doubted that it could succeed at that price. So what is the lesson here?

People are really shollow
  • Reply 35 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I personally wouldn't pay over $600 for one but the Sony Vaio P is priced at $800. I don't know how many people are buying them but a touch tablet would be able to carry it off much better than what is basically another netbook.

If Apple's tablet will be just a mobile internet device (MID) affair then I can't see a $600+ price tag being popular for a number of reasons:

The CrunchPad, which will handle those tasks and is a 12" touch slate, will be $400. No microphone or camera but they can be stuck on if required.

A $600 price is way easier to stretch to if you get the full Mac OS, all your apps and an integrated webcam. This means 10.6 and not iphone OS.

They will likely start it priced high and bring it down if the demand is there and if it has a sim card then you could be talking contracts with network carriers to lower the initial cost and you'd essentially be paying for 3G everywhere. If it has that setup, iphone OS is more likely due to Apple controlling the apps.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    $600? I'll believe it when I see it.

The last model of the MacBook is currently on "sale" at Apple for $899.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:

I'd love to carry around a bluetooth keyboard in my pocket to make using my iPhone easier and more convenient. I'll call Jobs immediately and have him hire you to join the apple think tank. But don't stop with the keyboard. How about a single button bluetooth mouse for your iPod?? And a bluetooth external screen??? And a bluetooth Bluray Drive????

Build one! Sure to be a hit.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally wouldn't pay over $600 for one but the Sony Vaio P is priced at $800. I don't know how many people are buying them but a touch tablet would be able to carry it off much better than what is basically another netbook.

If Apple's tablet will be just a mobile internet device (MID) affair then I can't see a $600+ price tag being popular for a number of reasons:

The CrunchPad, which will handle those tasks and is a 12" touch slate, will be $400. No microphone or camera but they can be stuck on if required.

A $600 price is way easier to stretch to if you get the full Mac OS, all your apps and an integrated webcam. This means 10.6 and not iphone OS.

They will likely start it priced high and bring it down if the demand is there and if it has a sim card then you could be talking contracts with network carriers to lower the initial cost and you'd essentially be paying for 3G everywhere. If it has that setup, iphone OS is more likely due to Apple controlling the apps.

The SONY VAIO VPCCW13FX 14" is a netbook? $799.99 with Windows 7 in todays J&R ad.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Or he could mean that if it's built for under $600 it's quality could be compromised. But don't let that get in the way of your flame.

Even if it's built for $600 Apple, the profit whore, will charge you $1100.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    so an oversized iPhone that's too big to put anywhere except for in a bag like a laptop, can't be typed in with thumbs because it's too big and so the only way to type on it would be laying flat on a table. Just about the most uncomfortable way to type. Must have some kind of stand if you want the screen standing, so another piece to haul around.

This sounds like overhyped crap. There is no market for this except for fanboys and people who think its so awesome to finger-paint on a screen.