Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter does not output video to new iMac

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimboh View Post

it does seem odd to omit something so simple like you mention, could this be another indicator of things to come in the spring, maybe a new blu ray superdrive combo! or hdmi input/output(doubtful)

I?m leaning toward the optical drive going away before Blu-ray is ever part of the Mac line up. At best, I think it being an external drive option after the internal drives are nixed is the best we can hope for.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geech View Post

You got a Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter. You need a HDMI -> Mini DisplayPort adapter. They aren't interchangeable!

This actually isn't such a big problem anymore. There are now DVI to Mini Displayport Adapters available that can handle the 24" Apple Cinema Display without any problem.

There are also Male to Male Mini Displayport cables that work fine for taking this adapter to the 27" iMac if so desired. The only problem is you won't be able to use the full resolution of the 27" iMac just yet.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Unfortunately, there is no such thing.The miniDisplayPort-to-DVI adapters allow the newer Macbooks to use DVI displays because those Macbooks' miniDisplayPorts can actually output both a DisplayPort signal as well as a DVI signal. The adapter merely allows the DVI signal to pass to a DVI monitor.

Our older DVI-only Macbook Pros will not be able to work with the miniDisplayPort monitors because the DVI output does not send out a DisplayPort signal.The only way to connect a DVI output to a DisplayPort monitor is by using a signal converter box that can translate the signal. I haven't seen any scan converters on the market yet that can do DVI-to-DisplayPort conversions though.