Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Comments

• Reply 81 of 149
  • Reply 82 of 149
    this is a pretty useless feature as far as i can tell. anyone got any killer apps for this? i can't think of any. using it as a display for a laptop is about the only thing i can think of and that doesn't seem all that useful. the 27" imac is sweet enough to buy one, but i don't think i would ever use this feature.
  • Reply 83 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

As Larry David says, "You're way off base". Just kidding.... Yeah but MANY people want to use a 27" iMac for watching their 720p mkv files.I know if I was going to buy a new Mac AND I needed a new TV at the same time I would jump on the 27" and equip it with another 1TB.

Right now I watch 720p on my Aquos 40" via PS3/Mediaserver and it is oh so sexy. Although 40" isn't big these days. But if you go bigger then you need to download 1080p and my computer isn't up to snuff for 180p playback anyway.

I agree I would use it for a ps3/xbox or something like that before I'd use it as a second monitor for my laptop.
  • Reply 84 of 149
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Btw, I think most Mac users are not aware of Plex because if they were they probably crap their pants.

http://www.plexapp.com/

iTunes who?
  • Reply 85 of 149
    Yeah, I can understand the whole bluray issue. Thats annoying me a bit...

But this whole video input thing is awesome. By the time that computer is obsolete, it can be used as a second display for your shiny new 50 inch iMac :P, and you can run the computer part in the background as a server or something. This makes the iMac way more versatile.

And if these adapters arrive soon and work well, PS3 heaven :P
  • Reply 86 of 149
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Please point me to the last positive remark you have concerning an Apple product.

Why? So you can mock it? No thanks.
  • Reply 87 of 149
    Are there any solutions for bringing in HDMI via Firewire 800 or USB 2.0?
  • Reply 88 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Steuber View Post

A converter box to import HDMI via Firewire or USB would probably cost more than a decent sized HDTV.
  • Reply 89 of 149
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    error type11
  • Reply 90 of 149
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

..... make a profit even if that means not providing everything you may need or want. Apple doesn't cater to teckstud's needs until after the guinee pigs mangia on Applecrack for 2 years first and they finally produce the products up to teckstud's sensible specs. (see iPhone and 13" MPB). Teckstud made the mistake once as an Apple guinee pig with the bun warmer, the AppleTV but never again. And not only teckstud- ask all the 1gen iPod Touch owners that own basically a useless device after only 1 year. Bottom line is - wait until Appple gets all the worms out of their apples (beta devices) usually by year 2 .

diude i feel your pain

and i am f ing pissed at the asses attacking you today

i think your in a not so good mood today my friend your words seem a bit angry

but i read you every day and i find that your posts sometimes ring true

sometimes crack me up

not all

but most at least make me think about a diff view

its the internet and anyone can say what they will

attacking that person every time they post

makes the attacker a flame-troll

better to address teckstuds points one by one

or ignore him

after all we are on a world wide apple site

have some respect

and this prissy baby act is ruining every topic

and getting so tired

pssft
  • Reply 91 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

this is a pretty useless feature as far as i can tell. anyone got any killer apps for this? i can't think of any. using it as a display for a laptop is about the only thing i can think of and that doesn't seem all that useful. the 27" imac is sweet enough to buy one, but i don't think i would ever use this feature.

That's exactly what I would use it for and it is a very useful feature. I have a work laptop and when I have to do something from home I like to be able to hook up the laptop to my home display. Nothing worse than using a tiny screen when you have a nice big one sitting in front of you. Right now my work PC doesn't output anything except DVI/VGA.
  • Reply 92 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niko03 View Post

That's exactly what I would use it for and it is a very useful feature. I have a work laptop and when I have to do something from home I like to be able to hook up the laptop to my home display. Nothing worse than using a tiny screen when you have a nice big one sitting in front of you. Right now my work PC doesn't output anything except DVI/VGA.

Couldn't you simply connect them with a hub?
  • Reply 93 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

A converter box to import HDMI via Firewire or USB would probably cost more than a decent sized HDTV.

Why is that? Is it a bandwidth issue? Or is it something else?
  • Reply 94 of 149
    I understand that the 21.5" iMac does not support input only output. Would that be changeable through a software update if Apple chooses, or will they need to bring out a new line? And why don't they just add that option to the 21.5"?
  • Reply 95 of 149
    I could see the mini DisplayPort input function targeted at laptop users and maybe future tablet users. The modern MacBook Air sports a MDP. Also the current MacBook and MacBook Pro.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

All you need then is the $30 cable with MDP at both ends

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/...co=MTM1NDg4ODQ

or

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=508255

Maybe a future iPod/iPhone dock with MiniDisplay Port would be way cool.
  • Reply 96 of 149
    Apple has a history of releasing incremental improvements to their products. I am sure a future revision will be more flexible for usage of the iMac as a display. Alternatively, there will be 3rd party adapters soon enough.

@techstud: There is no reason for you to crib about Apple just because they are innovative and don't deliver on all the features in the first iteration of an idea. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to go out and buy an iMac now or in the future. The iPhone is severely limited in cross application access and multitasking, that didn't stop it from being a successful device. The iMac is a computer that can act as a display for your MacBook when you are at home using the display port adapter.
  • Reply 97 of 149
    Belkin is rumored to be working on a converter box for conversion of digital video into the packet switched stream that Mini DisplayPort uses. Nothing on their web site yet. It should be a Command-F2 away in the future.
  • Reply 98 of 149
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smor1297 View Post

I understand that the 21.5" iMac does not support input only output. Would that be changeable through a software update if Apple chooses, or will they need to bring out a new line? And why don't they just add that option to the 21.5"?

They probably didn't put the hardware in the 21.5 inch to keep the price down, and to make the 27 inch more attractive. Switching it to IPS probably reduced their margins by quite a bit I would imagine.
  • Reply 99 of 149
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Why is that? Is it a bandwidth issue? Or is it something else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Quote:

They have converter boxes that send DVI over ethernet. There is a little loss of quality and a little delay as the graphics data has to be compressed. There is no software to access that signal on a computer however.

I have a USB display hooked up to my mac so I can run 3 displays, and when running windows in bootcamp I was able to play Half-life 2 on the USB display at 1024 x 768 at over 30 fps, zero lag. (uses the primary GPU for rendering).

I'd figure full high def would be easily accomplished with gigabit ethernet or fw800, however I doubt you would ever see that because it would require decrypting HDCP to be of any use and thats a big no-no. Really, its HDCP that makes converting DVI to DisplayPort require any real effort. Blame the DRM.

But for sure its totally possible and probably with minimal lag.
  • Reply 100 of 149
    I don't see why it's unreasonable to suggest that Apple would make more money with a elegantly designed box to convert HDMI to mini-displayport. I have two MacBook Pro's and a MacPro Octo. I'm plenty happy with Apple. I'm not pissed at them or anything.

Here's my deal. I don't have a flat screen TV yet. I'm anxious to get one; when I heard the iMac announcement about video in; I thought: no reason to buy a TV now. I imagine an HDMI hub maybe with a remote, maybe keyboard switched, maybe an iPhone remote for it, all terminating at the iMac on the wall. It seems there are other ways to accomplish a similar goal: Sling Box comes to mind. Still, I will want a console at some point and will want the lowest latency possible.

So, I don't particularly need another computer. For the same price, I could probably find a decent and larger flat screen of some description. Still, having an iMac as a family hub for any and all video inputs: super cool. I can't remember the last time I've posted here, I just read all this harassing stuff when the underlying point is valid: Apple might have gone ahead and taken this Beast to the next level.