Nokia suit against Apple seen as battle of two Goliaths

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post


    QCOM developed 3G tech called CDMA.



    Didn't the US government develop CDMA, after all it has been in use for a long time before cellphones
  • Reply 62 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    For one they put a ARM chip in the N800s and then failed to leverage the built in GPU. Contrast that with Apple going all out to leverage the GPU in it's Touch OS, including OpenGL. For what ever reason Nokia barely leveraged the GPU and never achieved respectable graphics performance.



    Why are you worried so much about the N800, it came out almost 3 years ago, the N810 was over 2 years ago, things have changed since then
  • Reply 63 of 76
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,066member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    Didn't the US government develop CDMA, after all it has been in use for a long time before cellphones



    I don't know if CDMA was developed by US government but CDMA is a channel access method used by a lot of technologies. One of them is CDMAOne developed by QCom
  • Reply 64 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple, like many companies, know other companies are using their patented technology. Apple, however, mostly uses it's patents for defensive purposes. So, if a company sues Apple for patent infringement, Apple will likely turn around and counter sue for patent infringement. It is highly likely Nokia is infringing on Apple patents as well. I have not seen Apple sue another company for patent infringement in as long time as I can remember unless it was sued first. It often threatens copyright and trademark violations, but not patent violations.



    The problem is if you are a start -up you can't compete in the wireless arena nowadays if you don't borrow patented ideas from companies like Nokia and Erickson. This is because the network providers only support those patented standards. The big cellular companies, lock out competition though, by cross licensing their technology to the other big players for free. So, Sony can use Nokia's patented technology, and Nokia Sony's. This makes it hard for companies like Apple to enter the arena.



    Interestedly enough, Apple has a license from Erickson. Nokia must just be holding out for a bigger slice then Apple is offering, or it is hoping it will have access to Apple's patents in an exchange deal.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post


    I am sure Nokia has a large portfolio of patents and almost certainly has rolled out a significant amount of tech that other companies are using and have licensed.



    It's only fair that Apple pays for what others researched and developed, I love my iPhone and don't own a Nokia device, but should someone copy a patented iPhone feature you can bet Apple would want their slice of the financial pie.



  • Reply 65 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    This is very true. However there appears to be heavy penalties against new comers to the cell phone industry.



    If you want to come to the game nearly 30 years too late then you need to understand that it may cost you a little more
  • Reply 66 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


    I don't know if CDMA was developed by US government but CDMA is a channel access method used by a lot of technologies. One of them is CDMAOne developed by QCom



    And one of them is GPS, and one of them was army communication devices
  • Reply 67 of 76
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,066member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    And one of them is GPS, and one of them was army communication devices



    Yes, and Galileo also uses CDMA
  • Reply 68 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    The problem is if you are a start -up you can't compete in the wireless arena nowadays if you don't borrow patented ideas from companies like Nokia and Erickson. This is because the network providers only support those patented standards. The big cellular companies, lock out competition though, by cross licensing their technology to the other big players for free. So, Sony can use Nokia's patented technology, and Nokia Sony's. This makes it hard for companies like Apple to enter the arena.



    Well it they have something to give, then maybe they could cross licence for free as well..



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    Interestedly enough, Apple has a license from Erickson. Nokia must just be holding out for a bigger slice then Apple is offering, or it is hoping it will have access to Apple's patents in an exchange deal.



    No, the spelling is Ericsson
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post


    Everyone here is missing the point.



    I don't think this case is really about Apple infringing on Nokia patents. Rather, it's about Apple having produced a technology that is now kicking every cell phone maker's ass, and since Apple has THAT patented, no one can produce a phone that does the same thing.



    I think what Nokia is really doing here is trying to threaten Apple into licensing the multi-touch technology in the iPhone so Nokia can use it to get competitive again. Of course, we all know what Apple is going to say to that... even if Apple does end up having to pay Nokia a small amount for "licensing" (yeah, right...), it's still by far the better move for Apple to tell Nokia to go fuck themselves and pay them a couple of bucks per iPhone they sell, and keep kicking everyone else's asses.



    Nokia is pulling a classic Microsoft here... attack those who have better products than your own instead of improving your own products and business model.







    Lol, shame how multi touch is not patented to apple



    but congeats in trying to call the Microsoft ghost into the discussion
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    More Apple zealotry. If the shoe were on the other foot, you would be: "hey Apple kick their asses", but now that Apple is presumably in the wrong, they are the victim. Such wonderful passive aggressive reasoning. If Apple is wrong then they are wrong. Pure and simple. By the way, Nokia has a kinetic scrolling device with multi-touch. What they do not have are the gestures but they are developing a 3D touch model, so in a year or so gestures will be outdated.



    Please stop making Apple users look bad with such mindless tripe.



    Gestures will be outdated because by then Apple will have come up with the next step and still be kicking Nokias arse.



    Oh, and nice ad-hominem there... you know absolutely ZERO about me but yet you pass judgment, etc. In logic, such a move makes your argument invalid, so I won't bother saying more about this than what I've already said. You've already shown you're irrational... Talk about zealotry? Look in the mirror.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Lol, shame how multi touch is not patented to apple



    but congeats in trying to call the Microsoft ghost into the discussion



    No trying. There's no difference here; Nokia is attempting to bully Apple it's that simple. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a lawyer working for Nokia and you're familiar with what their exact strategy and reasoning behind what they're doing is.



    I suggest both of you read this:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/1...nts/#more-3898



    and this:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/1...rry/#more-3914



    then hopefully you'll realize that unless you're working for Nokia and have insider information, you should realize that I'm just adding my two cents here, just like everyone else.



    The reason I rarely post is because people like you have nothing better to do than spew their hate and self loathing out to other people behind the anonymity of the internet, so the real personality you possess shines through. This is a conversation for crying out loud, not a cage fight death match... but you people are acting like I'm torturing cute little snuggly puppies or something. Take a chill pill AND get a clue... sheesh.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post


    No trying. There's no difference here; Nokia is attempting to bully Apple it's that simple. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a lawyer working for Nokia and you're familiar with what their exact strategy and reasoning behind what they're doing is.



    I suggest both of you read this:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/1...nts/#more-3898







    and this:



    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/1...rry/#more-3914



    then hopefully you'll realize that unless you're working for Nokia and have insider information, you should realize that I'm just adding my two cents here, just like everyone else.



    The reason I rarely post is because people like you have nothing better to do than spew their hate and self loathing out to other people behind the anonymity of the internet, so the real personality you possess shines through. This is a conversation for crying out loud, not a cage fight death match... but you people are acting like I'm torturing cute little snuggly puppies or something. Take a chill pill AND get a clue... sheesh.





    Trying once again, Roughly drafted? Lol, why not just post www.iloveappleandtheycandonowrong.com



    Jeez, at least come up with something a little less biased than roughly drafted, but that would require you getting, how you say, a clue.





    ps commenting that you are just adding your two cents, then complaining about others doing the same creates the ultimately irony



    score
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Trying once again, Roughly drafted? Lol, why not just post www.iloveappleandtheycandonowrong.com



    Jeez, at least come up with something a little less biased than roughly drafted, but that would require you getting, how you say, a clue.





    ps commenting that you are just adding your two cents, then complaining about others doing the same creates the ultimately irony



    score



    Thanks for stepping in. It saved me from having to embarrass him more than he does to himself.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Trying once again, Roughly drafted? Lol, why not just post www.iloveappleandtheycandonowrong.com



    Jeez, at least come up with something a little less biased than roughly drafted, but that would require you getting, how you say, a clue.





    ps commenting that you are just adding your two cents, then complaining about others doing the same creates the ultimately irony



    score



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Thanks for stepping in. It saved me from having to embarrass him more than he does to himself.



    How sad that both of you are still hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to spew your over-reacting hate... you guys need to chill the F out and get a clue. The only embarrassment to me is that I'm wasting my time with this.



    Oh, with respect to bias? One word for both of you: HYPOCRITE.



    You're both haters. Haters, haters, haters.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post


    How sad that both of you are still hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to spew your over-reacting hate... you guys need to chill the F out and get a clue. The only embarrassment to me is that I'm wasting my time with this.



    Oh, with respect to bias? One word for both of you: HYPOCRITE.



    You're both haters. Haters, haters, haters.



    Anonymous? Are you kidding me? Unless you're Bowser from Sha Na Na, you are equally hiding behind a veil of anonymity. As for finding a clue, you would be hard pressed to find one with a flashlight. You seem to be one looking to obtain residence in Steve Jobs pants as head butt sniffer. Just because no one has jumped on your misguided Apple can do no wrong bandwagon, but are remaining objective in regards to this lawsuit, we are now labeled "haters, haters, haters". You might want to start with chilling out. I am sure that double wide vein in your forehead is about to pop, spilling forth kool aid. It really has to suck being you.



    Here, I will help you with a clue: http://forum.whatmobile.net/showpost...6&postcount=20
  • Reply 75 of 76
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,066member
    This is a very interesting entry in Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/n...epth-analysis/
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


    This is a very interesting entry in Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/n...epth-analysis/



    Same article as mine but different sources. Either way it is very interesting in deed. If Nokia chose only the 10 it needs, then Nokia might have a slam dunk. However, will this give the other guys incentive to go after Apple (rightly) as well?
Sign In or Register to comment.