Apple engineers ramp up overseas trips for tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm hoping it runs the full OS instead of just the iPhone OS. Also, it should be able to connect to a keyboard and mouse. That's key in my opinion.

When you write ?full OS? Ic an?t help but think you mean the Mac OS X desktop UI, too. That just won?t work. It has to be something completely new that has elements of both to make it an ideal device for a 10? finger-accessed touchsceen.

Access for a keyboard and mouse are key, but will Apple even have one USb port for the keyboard and mouse to connect to or require Bluetooth devices?

I expect it to be a complementary device for a Mac so Apple may make it sync via iTunes like iDevices. I hope that it shows up on the network in Finder and allows for Screen Sharing so that you can have a a keyboard and mouse remote access to it without having to do physical setup.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Given Apple's unique branding strategy, using the word tablet is less likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully TWO models:

iTablet with ARM inside. Big iPod touch. Extra-large battery life.

iTablet with Intel Atom inside. Mac OS X 10.6 (touch) inside. The Mac in your pocket.

Looking forward to the second if it has video-out and USB 2 ports for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

• Reply 23 of 58
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

Agreed. If that's the only differentiating factor from an iPhone/iPod, that it's bigger and you can read books/magazines on it, than it will be the next AppleTV. Part of me believes Apple wouldn't be this stupid, but the other part of me realizes Apple can sometimes be that stupid.

Example?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    For all that is good and holy in our world, please I beg you....

[CENTER]DO NOT LOCK THIS INTO A CELLULAR CARRIER![/CENTER]

It would be the cruelest cut of al...
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

Given Apple's unique branding strategy, using the word tablet is less likely.

I'd say they'd lean towards 'Gel-Tab'...
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Me. What is anyway this (yet to be released) tablet and why is it so great to get that much excited about it?

Please don't make me break out the Picard jpg again okay?!?!
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I'm hoping it runs the full OS instead of just the iPhone OS. Also, it should be able to connect to a keyboard and mouse. That's key in my opinion.

Why do you want duplication of efforts, not only does this cause an issue on quality, since you have to ensure that the product meets Apple's QA standards and that is very high, but also you really going to cause an issue with macbook, since what you are saying is buy $999 or buy $600 and their both do same thing for average consumer. Remember I said average consumer.

I hoep the tablet does not run full OS or I will not purchase it, since it just waste of money and i can do the same on my macbook Pro. Yes it maybe lighter, but thats not enough to part with my cash.

P.S. I see the quantity of comments has gone down, since Teckstud was forced on a holiday..lol
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

There IS much to gain for having full OSX on it: open development. But I have a feeling Apple will lock this thing down... mostly because it'll have 3G.

Question...

Is 'mostly because it'll have 3G' a euphemism for, "Because Steve gets a chubby over the control he has with the iPhone and iPod Touch **AND** the though of ever releasing a product where he can't get a cut of the profits off of every single Application ever made for it is simply unthinkable"?

If so then I think you're right!
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 15inchbrich View Post

I think it will be the driving force in the Q1Y09 sales, a typically slow period. Right?

It may not be released in calendar Q1. I think it's a given that this will have it's own SDK, probably with some mix of iPhone OS and Mac OS features, perhaps trending more toward iPhone OS, and I think it would be best for Apple to have developers ready with apps and content for it before it's released. So, I'm sort of expecting that there will be an announcement and SDK/development tools sometime before the actual release, with perhaps some developers getting advance hardware. That would seem to "blow the cover" of the device, but I imagine it will be so far ahead of the competition that a couple of months advance won't give anyone time to catch up, and it might actually help buid the buzz to a fever pitch.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    One of the biggest things for me would be mobile gaming on the iTablet, with a faster GPU/Processor, can you even imagine the games? wow I can not wait for this new device to come out. Definitely getting one for myself and my daughter. Damn, there goes my credit card again.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder why Apple aimed to launch after the Christmas period. I would have thought it would have made an excellent time to launch, leading up to Christmas I mean.

A much hyped tablet can sell any time, provided it is done right. Launch timing has little impact on highly anticipated devices. It makes sense to boost sales in a slow period with a tablet. Or maybe it just wasn't done in time...

Quote:

Hopefully TWO models:

iTablet with Intel Atom inside. Mac OS X 10.6 (touch) inside. The Mac in your pocket.

Looking forward to the second if it has video-out and USB 2 ports for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

The iPhone has video out and keynote and powerpoint are an app away. I have yet to see a compelling reason for full OSX with the exception perhaps of some very specialized fields. I'm also not sure if Apple would want to confuse customers with 2 completely different models. If they did that, expect them to have different names (mac something and iSomething) and very different price points.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Might not be ready for launch, but they might want to have this start the new year. They?ve introduced a lot of products for the first time in January over the years. If they are readying an SDK and publishers for this iTunesLP-like interface then these may require some new refinements.

Ironically, the timing of this product release appears to be perfect for a MWSF announcement -- which Apple no longer attends because, well, you know.

FWIW: The 2010 CES show is January 7-10.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    A tablet would be cool with a built-in 3G card. I'd buy one for my wife. She's always taking my laptop (well our laptop).

The only issue I'd have is that we'd need iWork on there. If this is going to have the iPhone OS then, as of now, there is no iWork for the iPhone. Apple needs iWork on the iPhone/Touch anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I believe Apple will create a new word to render the old "e-reader" word obsolete and out of date. A word that covers advanced and interactive media. Media that you interact with.. not just a reader.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I'm gunning for iPhone OS with a massive overhaul of MobileMe and Backtomymac - instead of a VNC style remote desktop, the ability to have individual app shortcuts that open Apps that are on my Mac OS X machines, maybe with skinned interfaces to make them suitable for touch - effectively turn your home iMac into an app server, with the slate as a thin client - take all your data with you without having to sync by just having it available over the air through backtomymac/mobileme etc. Also, iPhone OS4.0 that allows multiples of the iphone screen reolution, for larger apps, smaller ones, so you can mosaic your home page with multiple apps as you like.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The End game against the Wintel Hegemony is in sight.

It'll use an AMD?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It'll use an AMD?

It'll use whatever crazy-ass ARM chip that PA Semi have been quietly noodling away with at my guess...
  • Reply 38 of 58
    iPal (yes I know it's taken, so was iPhone) = palette? apple loves french nomenclature

Maybe part of the draw of the "3G" nomenclature on the end of iphones is that some of these iPals will talk to phone carriers and some will just be wifi. eg: iPal 3G, iPal 4G, or just iPal

UMPCs suck because they "run" full windows so poorly. Re: apple, even if it were possible to do, it would cannibalize higher margin macs, so there is no way this puppy is running a full OSX. Sorry. That would just make you long for a keyboard, etc and say you wish they'd just made a netbook.

Having said that, it will do MORE than an ipod touch, by virtue of interface but also because other capabilities will likely be pulled down from OSX. For instance, with a bigger battery, doesn't multitasking seem more doable?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

It'll use whatever crazy-ass ARM chip that PA Semi have been quietly noodling away with at my guess...

or, perhaps, chips
  • Reply 40 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Hopefully TWO models:

This is what I'm hoping for. At least from the standpoint of external design. Internally I don't expect it to be even close to similar.

Quote:

I don't see this happening at all. Mainly because of Apples purchase of PA Semi. Even if the device had an ATOM inside it would still run a variant of iPhone OS. That to simply keep the confusion level down and to make leveraging App store easy.

The thing with ATOM is that it provides a path to the 64 bit world. Right now ARM is 32 bit only. People laugh when I bring this up but the reality is the 32 bit world is slowly drift away. The problem is ATOM won't happen for two reason. One it is way to power hungrey and doesn't deliver much performance for that power. The other is marketing, Apple won't want confusion on the part of the consummers, ARM and App Store make it clear this is not a platform for Mac programs.

Quote:

That could happen with the ARM based unit also. To be kind of honest though I don't see video out as being a big draw.

As to the two OS's discussed here there isn't a huge difference in capability! Especially when it comes to potential apps delivered. Apps are more about hardware capability than anything and frankly this is where I hope Apple doesn't skimp or at the very least gives us a choice. To deliver the types of apps we all want to see on this device they need to deliver a tablet with a lot of on board RAM, at least two cores and at least 128GB of SSD. This is enough to support just about any presentation. As to that RAM I'm hoping for 1GB but we might have to get by with less. Finally the GPU needs to support the display well and handle 720 & 1080 P video.

Apple has a huge balancing act on their hands here as the device needs to be thin but have a long battery life. Frankly battery life is huge as the device needs to remain connected for long periods of time for web browsing, software updates and file transfers/streaming.

As to you presentations get a laptop. A tablet simply won't cut it for this application. If for nothing else it is difficult to reference the computers screen if it is flat on it's back.

Dave