Apple releases Apple TV 3.0 software with redesigned interface

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 150
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    As an AppleTV owner I have to say .. WTF?



    I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not. An AppleTV should not make any noise at all. If yours does, it's either faulty or someones fiddled with it by putting in a noisy crap drive or something.



    Agreed... mine is silent.
  • Reply 42 of 150
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    As an AppleTV owner I have to say .. WTF?



    I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not. An AppleTV should not make any noise at all. If yours does, it's either faulty or someones fiddled with it by putting in a noisy crap drive or something.



    I concur!





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    that you teckstud?



    No, this is him.
  • Reply 43 of 150
    How's the speed?



    Any word if this is Snow Leopard or still stuck on Tiger? (A Snow Leopard-based AppleTV 3.0 is more likely to run on the new MacMini I so desperately crave.)
  • Reply 44 of 150
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post


    Kudos to Apple for hiding the fact that only 71 movies are available for purchase in HD by continuing to combine their "rent or purchase" figures. Look out, Blu-Ray!



    Glad to see they finally added HD YouTube support, though. I don't know what took them so long.



    I'm a watch once kind of guy, so purchase of a movie is rediculous to me. I really hate waiting for the new releases to go to rental on ATV.
  • Reply 45 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oddjob View Post


    Thanks Apple for another boring update!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    that you teckstud?



    Good call!
  • Reply 46 of 150
    Can we please drop the extra dollar charge for HD content. I will never rent it otherwise. "Here, we also offer decent quality for a buck more......." Sheeeesh Come on Apple. \
  • Reply 47 of 150
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post


    I believe you mean 1080, and from a definition standpoint, 720p is considered HD.



    While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.



    Cost savings? What cost savings? There's as many films that cost less on Blu-Ray as there are ones that cost more. And how convenient can Apple TV be when there are only 71 movies available for purchase, you have to wait a month to rent most new releases (who disappear again a few months later), and many films are never released on Apple TV at all?
  • Reply 48 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    As an AppleTV owner I have to say .. WTF?



    I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not. An AppleTV should not make any noise at all. If yours does, it's either faulty or someones fiddled with it by putting in a noisy crap drive or something.



    Uhhh, it was me. A WD 250. But the original 40 was pretty noisy too. Which one do you have, the 40 or 160?



    Maury
  • Reply 49 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post


    Can we please drop the extra dollar charge for HD content. I will never rent it otherwise.



    Really? I think you might be the only one. I always coff up the buck.



    Maury
  • Reply 50 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,686member
    I updated my Apple TV, they mistakingly gave me a Sony interface. I actually don't have an Apple TV, but you get the point.
  • Reply 51 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post


    Really? I think you might be the only one. I always coff up the buck.



    Maury



    I am probably am...... I hear ya, but I just wish they gave you the best experience right off the bat.
  • Reply 52 of 150
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post


    Well I do like this, don't get me wrong... but:



    1) still no real sleep mode?! I can't stand the sound of the drive.



    2) Come on Apple, make a deal with Elgato for a plug-in tuner! Sheesh, I could chuck half my AV gear if it could just tune the friggin channels! (my TV can, but SLOOOOOWLY)



    Maury



    I don't hear the drive on my AppleTV but I wish there was a sleep mode to keep the heat down. It just feels like something wrong with that thing when it is always so warm.
  • Reply 53 of 150
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post


    argh, now all the cool apple tv hacks will have to be redesigned. that new menu looks like it's going to make adding more options more difficult.



    That is why I don't hack. It is a waste of time for somebody like me who has perhaps 30 min/day to watch TV.



    Pirating, on the other hand, takes very little time and has a high $$ return.
  • Reply 54 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    that you teckstud?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Good call!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post




    No, this is him.



    Who is teckstud?
  • Reply 55 of 150
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post


    I believe you mean 1080, and from a definition standpoint, 720p is considered HD.



    While I can tell a difference between the 720p content on my AppleTV and the 1080 content on my HD-DVDs (yeah, I was one of them), it's not significant enough to offset the absolute convenience (and cost savings) of the AppleTV.



    And it really isn't the 720p that is the problem in as much as the 5 Mbps max bit rate. Apple want to charge $4 to rent that? No thanks.
  • Reply 56 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post


    And it really isn't the 720p that is the problem in as much as the 5 Mbps max bit rate. Apple want to charge $4 to rent that? No thanks.



    Guess I'm not the only one...... I think there are more out there that expect better seeing as it's not even full HD. I shoot HD all day long and it aint 720.
  • Reply 57 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post


    Cost savings? What cost savings? There's as many films that cost less on Blu-Ray as there are ones that cost more. And how convenient can Apple TV be when there are only 71 movies available for purchase, you have to wait a month to rent most new releases (who disappear again a few months later), and many films are never released on Apple TV at all?



    I'm actually referring to the cost savings I achieve by using the AppleTV (and iTunes season passes) for my television content. When I bought my HDTV I checked with Comcast and their cost for basic HD service and a HD-capable DVR was about $105/month. I regularly watch about three TV shows and can subscribe via season pass for well under $150/year. I don't have to deal with commercials and can watch shows whenever I want (and unlike the DVR can also watch shows on my iPod or iPhone). I'm saving over $1000/year this way.



    I agree (to a point) about movie purchases. Until the prices drop, I'm not going to purchase any movies from iTunes when I can buy better quality versions on DVD. The extra features help, but not enough. I do rent the occasional movie however, especially when they have decent options on the 99¢ menu.
  • Reply 58 of 150
    Finally, my stuff at the top of menus - my music, my movies, my photos. And search is there now for my music, not just the iTunes store. Entering search terms on my itouch makes a mouse-free life worth living.



    With my 320GB hard disk update this month, my ATV does all I want it to do, except for my last wish - an iTunes-style visualizer/screensaver.
  • Reply 59 of 150
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    With hook-up to YouTube and the iTMS adding the Safari browser shouldn't be a big deal for them. The truth is that they don't want people buying these instead of Mac systems. If you just needed to browse the web and do email then the Apple TV would have been a great alternative to a sub-$400 PC. I believe they are really missing an opportunity here.



    Does this mean a new AppleTV is not far from appearing early next year? They have that new remote but the current AppleTV doesn't have it bundled.
  • Reply 60 of 150
    felix01felix01 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Hmm? Anyone here installed it yet?



    Yep...download took 10 minutes according to the countdown bar. Then another couple minutes to install. No probs noted.
Sign In or Register to comment.