Apple execs not enthusiastic about 'unattractive' online print market

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

That article seemed to ramble all over the place. Why wasn't Apple enthusiastic about the online print market?

I suspect for the same reason Steve said he didn't believe people wanted to watch videos on small screens shortly before the iPod with video came out ... diversionary tactics.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    ah f... I d written a couple of paragraphs in reply only to get disconnected and lose em, I am not writing them again boys, read the article, and have your iphone serve you a loaf of bread in the morning.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    It would be important to hear the exact words from the Apple execs to determine if they are misleading, but taking their comments in the most favorable light for the Apple Tablet being designed for ebooks, journals and newspapers, I could expect Apple negotiators addressing their prospective partners with the same "unfavorable business model" argument.

Apple could be offering, without promising, such businesses a different business model which will allow these partners to survive (and perhaps thrive). This is Apple's in to the industry.

It's an obvious argument to make to newsrooms, journals, and gives these industries a solution to their current financial mess. With the iPhone SDK allowing in-application purchasing of new content, it has seemed clear to me that the news and journal industries were its major target.

Just my non-insider guess.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    All Apple has to do is add bluetooth for a wireless keyboard and the magic mouse and bundle Safari in and the $229 AppleTV would blow a hole in the netbook marketshare. People want to browse the internet from their TVs. I do it with the Wii and Opera browser. Why is Apple holding back the AppleTV? They are like China telling you that you can only go to filtered content such as the iTMS, YouTube, Flickr, MobileMe, or Internet Radio. Bring Safari to AppleTV and let me decide what content I bring to my AppleTV.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

Apple makes a sub-$1,000 laptop!

The MacBook is $999 :-)

True, and I think that's a decent price, although for $999 you used to get 1394a, too. That's been de-populated.

I'd pay $1600 for a real road warrior machine from Apple.

• Small and lightweight!

• Something with a 10-11" LCD... more suited to reading documents or spreadsheets (vertical space) than watching movies (horizontal). These wide screens just mean more scrolling when you're doing real work (look around in any airport - 99% of folks with a laptop open are working, not watching movies). I have a 50" HDTV at home, why in God's name would I even want to watch a movie on a 13" laptop? Plus, 13" is just a bit too tall for the airline seat back tray - especially when the person in front of you decides to nap.

• Replaceable battery absolutely required (not all of us have private jets, Steve). It's 9 hours from ORD to CDG. It's 9-1/2 hours from SYD to HKG. It's 15-1/2 hours from LAX to MEL. Not everyone can afford to go business class, where the power ports are. After 4-5 hours & no juice left, I am supposed to just turn my computer off & twiddle my thumbs for the next 5-10 hours? Get real, Apple. Let me keep working.

• Get rid of the DVD drive to trim weight. If folks want to watch a movie, they can rip it to the hard drive. Sell an optional external model.

• Three USB2.0 + one 1394a + a Gig Ethernet port. Don't get all cheap on us like the MacBook Air. Road warriors need connectivity, so we don't have to schlep hubs.

• Fingerprint ID login.

• Smaller, more compact power adapter.

• DVI port. Stop making me tote extra crap around, Apple. Give me an industry standard video out port to plug into an LCD projector.

• Not required but it sure would be nice to see something different than aluminum. Apple used to be so good at industrial design but after 6-7-8 years of metal Pro laptops (Think Same! :-), it's getting boring. Something new would be refreshing.

The current MB & MBP offerings are awesome machines but they're desktop and television replacements, not travel companions for work. It's getting heavier and heavier lugging this MacBook around through airports across the globe every damn month that goes by... I want a real road warrior machine, dammit!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Apple TV will never take off till it has a tuner and DVR capabilities.

Dunno how many of you use Windows 7, but Windows Media Center is pretty damn slick, I've used it as a TV with a HTPC for over a year now (exclusively-I'm watching Meet The Press on my projector with an ~85" screen. Matter of fact, I have a 2nd monitor slaved to my HTPC on my coffee table, an Apple Al keyboard paired, as well as a MS mouse, typing this comment with the setup.

As far as the tablet, I hope Senior Steve has his stuff together, I had a Dell tablet a few months ago, loaded W7 and the beta touchscreen drivers and it was a massive POS, slow, poor response to the touchscreen, crappy battery life, fragile, there wasn't a single thing to like about it. Sold it on eBay in a couple of months, and I wanted to love it.

Here's hoping Apple's "Slate" is sorted out and available without an obligatory contract for the 3G service. If it's tied to AT&T with a contract, screams will be heard across the US on release day.

I may be a MS user, but I have over $100K in Apple stock, I know a winner when I see it, started buying Apple stock when my low maintenance daughter demanded an Apple notebook.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

But you have to wonder...

Could you imagine the people in the music business hearing Apple dictate to them how to save their empire? A 2nd rate computer company that was 'bailed out' by Microsoft and they are telling us how to run our business? It certainly took a great deal of salesmanship AND showmanship to pull it off... That I'm sure of.

You mean by the guy from Pixar?
  • Reply 48 of 50
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

True, and I think that's a decent price, although for $999 you used to get 1394a, too. That's been de-populated.

I'd pay $1600 for a real road warrior machine from Apple.

• Small and lightweight!

you mean like 3 lbs and say 9"x13"x0.76"?

Quote:

• Something with a 10-11" LCD... more suited to reading documents or spreadsheets (vertical space) than watching movies (horizontal). These wide screens just mean more scrolling when you're doing real work (look around in any airport - 99% of folks with a laptop open are working, not watching movies). I have a 50" HDTV at home, why in God's name would I even want to watch a movie on a 13" laptop? Plus, 13" is just a bit too tall for the airline seat back tray - especially when the person in front of you decides to nap.

I can make my 17" MBP work in coach. Granted I tend to look for better airplanes or pay for slightly more leg room upgrades. I think you can manage a 9"-10" tall laptop.

Quote:

• Replaceable battery absolutely required (not all of us have private jets, Steve). It's 9 hours from ORD to CDG. It's 9-1/2 hours from SYD to HKG. It's 15-1/2 hours from LAX to MEL. Not everyone can afford to go business class, where the power ports are. After 4-5 hours & no juice left, I am supposed to just turn my computer off & twiddle my thumbs for the next 5-10 hours? Get real, Apple. Let me keep working.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...arger-s/91.htm

How many replacement batteries do you need to carry for 17-34 hours? How about just one?

Quote:

• Get rid of the DVD drive to trim weight. If folks want to watch a movie, they can rip it to the hard drive. Sell an optional external model.

Gee...sounds like a machine that Apple makes...the name escapes me at the moment.

Quote:

• Three USB2.0 + one 1394a + a Gig Ethernet port. Don't get all cheap on us like the MacBook Air. Road warriors need connectivity, so we don't have to schlep hubs.

You need 3 USB and 1 firewire for what? Because you're schlepping along external drives, cameras and what not? But a hub is too much more? Are you kidding? I keep a little belkin hub with my external drive.

My PC travel kit includes:

Power Strip

Airport Express

Belkin USB Hub

Various cables I regret not having on past trips.

I'll be adding the Hypermac battery soon.

Quote:

• DVI port. Stop making me tote extra crap around, Apple. Give me an industry standard video out port to plug into an LCD projector.

A mDP/DVI cable is the same size and weight as a DVI/DVI cable. If you don't bring the cable you almost always will end up wishing you had.

Quote:

The current MB & MBP offerings are awesome machines but they're desktop and television replacements, not travel companions for work. It's getting heavier and heavier lugging this MacBook around through airports across the globe every damn month that goes by... I want a real road warrior machine, dammit!

So basically, because you aren't willing to carry a USB hub or buy a nice long life external battery pack that is better than schlepping along extra batteries (at about the same price) you think Apple doesn't make a nice road warrior machine? Say what?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

you mean like 3 lbs and say 9"x13"x0.76"?

I can make my 17" MBP work in coach. Granted I tend to look for better airplanes or pay for slightly more leg room upgrades. I think you can manage a 9"-10" tall laptop.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...arger-s/91.htm

How many replacement batteries do you need to carry for 17-34 hours? How about just one?

Gee...sounds like a machine that Apple makes...the name escapes me at the moment.

You need 3 USB and 1 firewire for what? Because you're schlepping along external drives, cameras and what not? But a hub is too much more? Are you kidding? I keep a little belkin hub with my external drive.

My PC travel kit includes:

Power Strip

Airport Express

Belkin USB Hub

Various cables I regret not having on past trips.

I'll be adding the Hypermac battery soon.

A mDP/DVI cable is the same size and weight as a DVI/DVI cable. If you don't bring the cable you almost always will end up wishing you had.

So basically, because you aren't willing to carry a USB hub or buy a nice long life external battery pack that is better than schlepping along extra batteries (at about the same price) you think Apple doesn't make a nice road warrior machine? Say what?

What! :-)

If you're referring to the MBA, no thanks. Again, I don't want the footprint or the 13" LCD. I want something more compact (I kick myself every day for selling my 12" PowerBook G4). But most of all, it doesn't have enough horsepower either from the video subsystem or disk performance to do the things my cameras & FCP needs to do. I don't like the way Photoshop makes it choke.

I will not schlep extra gear. Carry as much as you like and whatever you need to do to get the job done, I will not criticize you for it, that would be inane. As I noted, I would like to be able to streamline even further.

I have 2 external batteries for the MacBook, small so they fit in a tight container space & relatively lightweight, and I get the time I need - sometimes up to 16-17 hours if I closely monitor consumption. But if this dream laptop of mine had a DVI port (or even HDMI) instead of yet another Apple-specific video out port, I could leave these stupid-ass cable adapters in my desk drawer. Every customer has a DVI cable with their overhead projector & in my business, there's always an HDMI cable laying about. Why replicate?

I am using both USB ports all the time, and would really like to have an extra. It would be a time saver for me. I have no idea why my wanting one extra USB port should be troublesome to you, it makes no sense. It's very inexpensive, less than fifty cents BOM cost, actually... the Intel chip sets that support even the 1.5GHz Core2 Duo already provide up to 4 USB ports. It's just a matter of bringing ports out to the user. Remove the DVD drive and there's plenty of space to go around. If Fujitsu can do it, maybe Apple can, too. Depopulating functionality does not = Innovation.

A smaller footprint is important to me, not simply a lighter machine. I don't understand why I have to swallow less functionality and suffer lower performance - all at a higher cost - just to get a lighter weight machine with no change in footprint. It makes no logical sense.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

They reportedly said that Apple was not enthusiastic about the online book and newspaper market, which was said to have an "unattractive industry structure."

1. this is part of why I don't believe any rumors that suggest that the tablet device is just an ebook reader

2. the comment doesn't mean that Apple might not be getting ready to redefine the market. just as they have in the past with music players, all in one computers, phones etc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Apple TV will continue to be stuck in 'hobby' status until they add a DVR. Apple showed a great concept for a DVR in a patent application some time back - where is it already??

a DVR cuts into their potential sales on itunes. If anything Apple is trying to increase those sales, not decrease them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I also love 24, but I'm not going to wait a day to watch it as the current iTunes setup requires. If they offered streaming of the current episode on the day it comes out (and downloading later on), I would be much more inclined to purchase the show through iTunes.

they don't offer anything like that because the networks won't give them the rights.