Army okays cornrows/braids

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleApologist:

<strong>It may be a PC move, but when the Navy changed its regulations to allow cornrows, the fashion started to appear in hair of all (natural) hair colors.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sound like the Navy hasn't done a good enough job of deprogramming their young recruits. Any white guy that wears corn rows is bound to be a Snoop-Dog disciple or something similar. Can you say "identity crisis?"

Do these guys wear their pants backwards too? If not, maybe we should let them hang their trousers 6" off their ass so that everyone can see their standard issue skivies too! I also think beepers hanging off the front pocket should be mandatory.

Shaq-FU!

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 24
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>

Sound like the Navy hasn't done a good enough job of deprogramming their young recruits. Any white guy that wears corn rows is bound to be a Snoop-Dog disciple or something similar. Can you say "identity crisis?"

Do these guys wear their pants backwards too? If not, maybe we should let them hang their trousers 6" off their ass so that everyone can see their standard issue skivies too! I also think beepers hanging off the front pocket should be mandatory.

Shaq-FU!

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny, because when I went out on a cruise on an aircraft carrier as a guest once, those navy-issued blue jeans have front pockets that are the same as Levi's rear pockets. In other words, they are squared and more in front instead of angle cut and to the side-ish.

I thought they looked like they were on BACKWARDS by design.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yes cornrows can be done in any hair. All they are is braids woven tightly to the skin. I've never had them but I believe that most people choose braids as an easy maintainence thing even if they look like they might be Hip Hop'ish. I remember Bo Derek creating a backlash of microbraids after her movie 10. My thoughts are no cornrows in Basic or Advanced training. After that I believe the Military should allow conrows within reason. I say within reason because some can be small and tastefully done.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Even though cornrows/braids may be allowed, the regs usually say things about how long the hair can be worn as well as not interfering with the proper wearing of the head gear (hat, helmet, gas mask, etc.). So besides the trendy vs. conservative debate there are still functional concerns that are taken into account in the standards.