Apple rumored to disable Atom support with Mac OS X 10.6.2

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

You may be right, but quite honestly, if you already own a Mac, I don't think its a big deal whether or not you install it on a netbook. For most of these installations, you have to start with a working copy of OS X just to setup the installer disk. I own a Dell Mini 10v and have successfully hackintoshed it. While it seems I may have to do a bit more work to keep it up to date, I like to think of it as a fun project to experiment with. I already own one mac, and plan on upgrading to a new Macbook Pro and Mac Mini Server within the coming months, not to mention owning Final Cut Express and other Apple software. Trust me, they get my business.

Stealing is stealing, there's no argument around that. But frankly, using OS X on a netbook is more about bending the rules than committing a serious crime.

``Nobody cares and really, who does it hurt?''

``Who knew she was under age? She approached me officer. If anyone is the victim me it's me officer. Look at her. She took advantage of me. How was I to know she was lying? And besides, in some countries it's a compliment.''

Sorry, but both of my statements show the warped reality people live in to rationalize their motivations in life.
  • Reply 222 of 229
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

According to Fair Use, it is legal to possess a copy of your media for personal use. However, it is illegal to break the encryption of the DVD to obtain such a copy.

Actually it's not consider fair use to make an "exact" copy for your personal use. An "exact" copy is only for backing up your disc. In case your disc becomes unreadable. (Like computer software.) Fair use does allow for you to convert to another media like to make a cassette tape of your albums (CD or vinyl) to play on a cassette player and use both at the same time. Or an MP3 for your computer or MP3 player. It really doesn't allow you to burn an "exact" copy (or copies) of your CD on to another CD and use all of them at the same time. But you can burn a mix CD from songs from different albums.

Same with DVD's. Fair use allow you to record using the analog hole without breaking encryption. (Though you may have to deal with marcovision.) So that you can get a VSH or Beta copy to play on your video tape machine. But you would not have an "exact" copy. Even if you use it to burn back to DVD. In order to get an "exact" copy you have to break the encryption. Which mean that you can not legally back up your DVD's on to disc or computer.

But really, the reason it's illegal to break encryption is to give the Studios more leverage when they catch people pirating to make money. It's not really enforced when it comes to the average home users. It makes it more difficult to do.

Of course I'm referring to US Copyright Laws. I heard that in countries like Australia, you can't even legally copy a CD on to your computer HD. Let alone make another disc.

Quote:

Under the DMCA exemptions, it is legal to unlock your mobile phone to make it carrier independent. However, it is illegal to jailbreak an iPhone - the process required to unlock it.

Is is not illegal to jailbreak your iPhone. The key word word being "your". What's illegal is you jailbreaking other peoples iPhone for a business. You can sell the unlock code so that the owner can legally jailbreak (unlock) his own iPhone. (or any phone.) But no where does it state that Apple or ATT must supply the unlock code. Ever. And I can see why. If Apple were to sanction an unlock iPhone by giving away the unlock code, then they might also have to support it with their all their updates and apps. Across al the various carriers.

Quote:

To me, it would follow that Fair Use would allow one to use OS X in any non-infringing way, like ripping a DVD or unlocking an iPhone. However, to do so, one would have to break Apple's EULA.

And Apple doesn't really care about any individual spending the time to hack OSX on to a Dell or Sony. But Apple don't have to make it easy for them. You see, the easier it is to hack OSX on to a netbook, the more likely people are to buy a Dell or Sony to run OSX. Why should Apple help Dell or Sony sell netbooks?

Quote:

The purpose of Fair Use is to protect end-users from overreaching copyright zealots, not to catch people in the technicality of "illegally" breaking a DVD encryption, or "illegally" jailbreaking an iPhone, or "illegally" breaking Apple's EULA.

Unfortunately, we see fair use being eroded for the average consumer because of people like Psystar. Not because of copyright zealots.
  • Reply 223 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``Nobody cares and really, who does it hurt?''

``Who knew she was under age? She approached me officer. If anyone is the victim me it's me officer. Look at her. She took advantage of me. How was I to know she was lying? And besides, in some countries it's a compliment.''

Sorry, but both of my statements show the warped reality people live in to rationalize their motivations in life.

....what the hell do you do for a living, dude? Because I think its stressing you to the point of insanity. At least make a proper context.

This one is a bad example, but at least closer to my point. You buy a DVD of your favorite movie. According to the license of that disk, you are entitled to watch that movie on any compatible device that you own, but you are not allowed to create a copy for any reason (including backup and personal use), nor are you allowed to watch that movie on another device (like an iPhone). Now, I bought the movie - I own it. Why shouldn't I be allowed to rip it and watch it on any device I own as well?

Again, not the greatest example, but still hits a point. I own Apple hardware. I own Apple software. Not only do they get a good $20 a month from me on iTunes, but they're also going to get at least $2k between a new notebook and Mini server from me soon. Between the iPhone and all the Apple software I purchased, what exactly is the big problem with me running a little project by installing OS X on a Mini netbook as a hobby?
  • Reply 224 of 229
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I guess I'll keep my Dell Mini 9 on Windows 7 then. It's funny. I bought that computer for $199 with Ubuntu. Installed the free Windows 7 Release Candidate and it works great. I needed a "real" Windows machine for a specific project. After it is over, I had intended to Hackintosh the mini9. Oh well, I guess. Hopefully this means that Apple has something in the works to occupy this niche in the tech ecology.
  • Reply 225 of 229
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    So the wildly unpopular netbooks are suddenly popular enough to be targeted by Apple.

It sucks, but it makes sense. If an ultraportable Apple product is on it's way, cutting off new purchases of netbooks for hackintosh purposes is a good decision. It was never something that would last, nor did it have even tacid approval from Apple.
  • Reply 226 of 229
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It not alot of performance considering the lowest model is six times the price of a netbook.

What is the point? It?s larger than a netbook. The display is bright LED backlit and uses a high-end LCD. The case is milled aluminium. The CPU is considerably faster than Atom and costs 10x the price of an Atom according to Intel?s price list.

Try comparing it to the other ultra-light 13? notebooks on the market. The MBA is not an netbook!
  • Reply 227 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Not supporting non-Mac OS X installs is one thing and I support going after third parties trying to make money off selling OS X like Psystar, but actively targeting the hackintosh community doesn't seem a good choice.

Right now, Apple can legally restrict what hardware is used with Mac OSX. by not doing something to discourage such illegal systems, they are basically approving by silence. which can bite them in the butt with some laws.

also, they have actually be fairly nice by not going out to the community and slapping a ton of DMCA violations on folks for all the bootloaders, terminal hack instructions etc that are out there. because money changing hands is not required under said laws.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

That could probably be construed as being anti-competitive?

nope. this issue was addressed in the Psystar case. they tried to argue the existence of a Macintosh Market. they lost. the market is Personal Computer Systems. of which Apple is a small piece. and because of the small size they can legally tie hardware and software and there's no market abuse

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not yet, that I am aware of, but PearC and Psystar are unambiguously in violation of copyright law, since the EULA doesn't even apply to them -- i.e., since they are not end-users, they have no license whatsoever for what they are doing, not even one with possibly contestable points.

Psystar is violating copyright so the EULA issue is actually a bit moot for them

as for PearC, German laws as of about a year ago said that you can not enforce an EULA that can not be read prior to money changing hands. Since you had to buy the disk to open the box and put in the disk to see the terms, Apple couldn't enforce the EULA in Germany. This is what PearC was using as a 'we can do what we want' defense. HOWEVER, since that time, I believe that Apple put the EULA on the website and the laws in Germany, if I recall correctly, didn't say that the EULA had to be on the box. just available. so Apple could now be in the right on that issue. so long as the EULA doesn't go against any legally protected rights of the consumer. which gets a tad interesting. Because the US and Germany are both part of the Berne treaty. and that treaty states that member countries will grant their copyright protections to any work by another country that is published in a treaty country. So one has to examine if the sale of a software is the same as publishing and what protections goes Germany give to software. it is possible that German law does not allow for the restriction of hardware the way that the US laws currently do. so there's nothing Apple can do at this point.
  • Reply 228 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is the point? It?s larger than a netbook. The display is bright LED backlit and uses a high-end LCD. The case is milled aluminium. The CPU is considerably faster than Atom and costs 10x the price of an Atom according to Intel?s price list.

Try comparing it to the other ultra-light 13? notebooks on the market. The MBA is not an netbook!

An LED backlight shouldn't be a selling point, my netbook has one of those (and it is a lot better than the CCFL in my laptop), but it's not like Apple has some sort of exclusive use to LEDs, or that it has to be at a certain price point.

I think his point is however, what exactly kind of tasks do you plan on doing with the MBA's CPU, like audio/video/photo editing, or mundane tasks like e-mail and web browsing? The Atom can do all that too, but it's just slow (relatively), designed for low-power consumption and cheap. I can't complain about the size of the devices it power; seriously, most netbooks are only around 3 pounds and they're small. (the 11.6" are tweeners, but have better CPU's and GPU's).

If I want power, I'll grab something else, but it wouldn't be a MBA either.
  • Reply 229 of 229
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

An LED backlight shouldn't be a selling point, my netbook has one of those (and it is a lot better than the CCFL in my laptop), but it's not like Apple has some sort of exclusive use to LEDs, or that it has to be at a certain price point.

LED backlights have technical capabilities that CCFLs do not, so yes, they should be a selling point.

Quote:

I think his point is however, what exactly kind of tasks do you plan on doing with the MBA's CPU, like audio/video/photo editing, or mundane tasks like e-mail and web browsing? The Atom can do all that too, but it's just slow (relatively), designed for low-power consumption and cheap. I can't complain about the size of the devices it power; seriously, most netbooks are only around 3 pounds and they're small. (the 11.6" are tweeners, but have better CPU's and GPU's).

So the only two options are too fast or too slow? A 10? netbook display and keybaord and trackpad is not a replacement for a notebook grade keyboard, trackpad and 13? display. The MBA is also considerably faster than what is found in netbooks. It can even run a 30? display. It might not suit your needs, and it certainly doesn?t suit my needs, but it suits other people?s needs. Even people I know. If I had a desktop computer and didn?t travel so much, I?d get one, but I am always on the move so more powerful notebook as my only machine is what I must have. That does not mean I can?t see how others could find the MBA, Adamo, X3100, Envy and other ultra-light notebooks as the ideal travel machines.

Quote:

If I want power, I'll grab something else, but it wouldn't be a MBA either.

That is fine. No one machine can fit everyone?s needs. If it?s such a bad solution, why are the SFF ULV getting more-and-more play if they aren?t worth it additional performance that is gained over Atom with C2D? Even netbooks are getting C2Ds now, but they cost a lot more than $300.