Apple's iPhone sees tepid sales debut in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    Bottom line is on a global scale Apple can't make enough iPhone 3GS to keep up with demand. That's all I would say right now.

Oh, and definitely the WiFi crippling, the fact that gray units have been in for donkey years and the ludicrous pricing means... sales won't be blockbuster but they won't have containers of stock sitting around. Knockoff models abound but the continued fast-growing middle-to-upper-class will want the real deal... At least many of those that don't already have an iPhone.

Considering how long this deal took to hammer out I'm sure whether 30,000 phones or 3 million a quarter, Apple has got this covered.

Off topic rambling...

I *finally* got my iPhone 3GS here in Malaysia (Maxis). Hallelujah. Won it in a contest back at the end of July. Don't ask why it took so long. But I am grateful. My iPhone 3G 8GB from Singapore (Singtel) is over a year old. I think I'll keep it as a backup while I use the iPhone 3GS as my main phone.

There's a lot of grey units of iPhone 3GS floating around all over the world but there's also continued huge demand for local-genuine-warranty iPhone 3GS.

Ah, what a crazy ride it has been these past few years with the iPhone. The locking and unlocking, carriers, global launches, crazy and tepid demand... Wow. What a ride.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wouldn't buy it either if there was a new model with WiFi coming out shortly.

That is one of the risks of doing business in a non-democracy. There are not all the checks and balances to slow down law changes and hopefully, just maybe, stop some of the bad ones. Imagine if Microsoft went to the US government and said they were developing their own WiFi standard so please could they please ban the current one. They would get laughed out of the room.

Yup, welcome to the "developing world". Things are very different. Tons of companies small to large from all over the world got burned big time trying to do business in China.

I wouldn't be overconfident about the US, huge well-funded lobby groups can influence policy to a very large degree as compared to Europe.

But this is a topic for another thread, perhaps. I'm not taking sides, I've studied or worked in Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, USA and travelled a few times to UK and Europe.

The one thing I want to know is at what stage, and how, the developed world moved away from corruption and to a more organised society. I wonder what was the stimulus that prompted this. And why this is still lacking in developing countries. It's not really education. It could be the spread of wealth (or lack thereof)... I can't put my finger on it.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    One day there will be a non-contract iPhone at a reasonable price. Maybe 5 years from now? Today however it's just silly pricing. You can't defend a pricing strategy where a mobile handset is more expensive than a macbook pro. It's just sheer stupid.