Apple investigating 'Grab & Go' simplified cross-platform sync

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Instead of all this fancy-schmancy nonsense, how about Apple start by allowing the iPhone and iPod Touch to operate in disk mode (as they used with the non-touch iPods)!?

That kind of freedom ended at Apple with update 1.9.8.4.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Me too, Quad. I'm very happy with MobileMe. It's great for keeping my Contacts, Email, links, etc. sync'd with my 3Gs, iMac and Laptop. I look fwd to continued improvements in the service.

I'm happy with it too though it should be free for iPhone buyers at the very least.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Instead of all this fancy-schmancy nonsense, how about Apple start by allowing the iPhone and iPod Touch to operate in disk mode (as they used with the non-touch iPods)!?

http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Works great.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quadra 610 View Post

works great.

$20 ? No thank you.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Works great.

This is very cool. Thanks. I might check it out.

But Apple should be offering the disk mode option for free. Any thoughts on why they don't with the Touch and the iPhone?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As in a heating console?

Now that you mention it, the WD HD mediaplayer I wrote about earlier also stays "on." There is an off button, but the unit is always quite warm.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Now that you mention it, the WD HD mediaplayer I wrote about earlier also stays "on." There is an off button, but the unit is always quite warm.

Even with the button turned off? I have to go this weekend and look at this thing. I've been wrapped up in baseball here the last 2 weeks.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Even with the button turned off?

Yes.

I haven't really tried out any other mediaplayers (most don't do as much as the WD does), so I can't comment on whether they are also warm when off.

1st version

http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=572

2nd version

http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

The whole range:

http://wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30
  • Reply 29 of 33
    if this is not dependant on mobileme it could be the coolest update apple has hinted at since the original touch. I think it would be a great idea, if it is independant of a service and possibly something that could be shared between phones, computers reguardless of os, carrier or even cell. Hopefully while they are at it they will open up more sync options for bookmarks, calendars
  • Reply 30 of 33
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The filing with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office suggests a scenario where a user is sitting at their desk working on a document, when they are called into an unexpected meeting. While the user may have a number of personal applications running, they would only want to bring their work-related content with them. The preferences would allow the user to "grab" only files and data related to work from the computer.

Seems like an example of how a tablet type of device (a.k.a. MacTouch) might be used in the corporate world...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wish they'd start by making it possible to sync my iPod Touch wirelessly. It would be nice if it could just see my Mac on my home network and sync any new music/podcasts etc.

+1

In fact I think I'm going to send a note to http://www.apple.com/feedback
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I'd like our current model to be flipped on its head... I'm not sure whether this might be what they're saying. I don't want my computer life to be tied primarily to a single computer, I'd rather it was tied to a mobileme identifier.

I have files that I want to access whether I login to my MacBook or my iPhone. Photos & Music I want on my iPod/iPhone/MacBook/Gallery.

I want to be able to login to my mother's iMac when I visit (say I forgot my Mac) and have it show MY desktop & documents folders even though I've never logged in there before.... use the iPhone to create a local representation of my iTunes & iPhoto stuff and supply my most recently worked on files and data structure. Use backtomyMac and MobileMe to fill in further detail (on demand), and use a MacAppStore to reinstall applications. I can chose if a Mac will have my full setup, a partial setup, or just a temporary cache.

Essentially, if my MacBook was destroyed I should be able to buy a new one and enter my MobileMe name and within minutes have my desktop in front of me as it slowly resyncs all my data. Conversely, it should also work without MobileMe by using data synced onto other Macs & iDevices & of course TimeMachine backups.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'd like our current model to be flipped on its head... I'm not sure whether this might be what they're saying. I don't want my computer life to be tied primarily to a single computer, I'd rather it was tied to a mobileme identifier.

I have files that I want to access whether I login to my MacBook or my iPhone. Photos & Music I want on my iPod/iPhone/MacBook/Gallery.

I want to be able to login to my mother's iMac when I visit (say I forgot my Mac) and have it show MY desktop & documents folders even though I've never logged in there before.... use the iPhone to create a local representation of my iTunes & iPhoto stuff and supply my most recently worked on files and data structure. Use backtomyMac and MobileMe to fill in further detail (on demand), and use a MacAppStore to reinstall applications. I can chose if a Mac will have my full setup, a partial setup, or just a temporary cache.

Essentially, if my MacBook was destroyed I should be able to buy a new one and enter my MobileMe name and within minutes have my desktop in front of me as it slowly resyncs all my data. Conversely, it should also work without MobileMe by using data synced onto other Macs & iDevices & of course TimeMachine backups.

Overhead issues aside (and I only mention it because others will go on about how the overhead required will never allow this), I think this is the future of computing...

Various 'levels' of 'thin clients' that we carry around with us (iPhone, MacTouch, MacBook & MacBook Pro), various 'levels' of 'thin clients' we use at stationary positions (Mac mini, iMac & Mac Pro); all 'feeding' from a single (user-specified) source...

By 'levels', I mean the actual compute power of a given device/computer...

By 'thin client', I mean a device/computer that does not have our entire 'digital life' on it & by 'single (user-specified) source', I mean that one device/computer/account that we have our entire 'digital life' on, be it a machine at the house, a user account/files on a work/school server or out in the 'cloud' somewhere...

And by 'cloud', I just might mean the massive data center Apple is working on in North Carolina...