Superstar Shaq gets preferrential treatment

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After yet another foul, Shaq had apparently had enough and threw two punches at Chicago Bull Brad Miller that resulted in a three-game suspension. (Earlier in the game he hit Miller in the face with a forearm)

The first punch was aimed at the back of Miller's head as he was walking off. During the scuffle a security guard had to rip Miller's shirt off because Shaq was choking Miller with his own jersey.

Quoth Miller:

"Anybody who comes at you from behind, you have to wonder about him."

I'm prone to agree.

Related:

Miller himself got a 1 game suspension for... umm... making Shaq angry? Playing aggressive basketball?

Mark Cuban gets a $500,000 fine for saying the refs suck and League Jesus O'Neal gets a slap on the wrist... BULLSHIT

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0113/1310789.html"; target="_blank">Swing and a miss</a>

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think he deserved at least 6 games but of course since it's Shaq he didn't get a fair suspension.

I was talking to my dad about it and he said he agreed with me but Shaq gets fouled all the time and he was surprise Shaq hasn't blown already. I really don't think that should be an excuse but that could be it too.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    If Shaq could hit his foul throws, then people wouldn't foul him so much.

Hell, even I can hit 7/10 free throws. They're free. No one is guarding you, and you can take all the time you want.

The only people who can't hit free throws are the ones who don't practice free throws.

SdC
  • Reply 3 of 25
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 25
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>If Shaq could hit his foul throws, then people wouldn't foul him so much.

Hell, even I can hit 7/10 free throws. They're free. No one is guarding you, and you can take all the time you want.

The only people who can't hit free throws are the ones who don't practice free throws.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

You do realize that having hands as big as his causes problems for free-throw shooting don't you? Shaq is a competitor and believe me, if he could do better at free throws, he would. It's not as if he's on some playground court dunking to impress the girls. Anyway, I just saw the replay of the fight and he should have been suspended for a lot longer. If he had connected (and he wanted to) he would have knocked Miller out.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

You do realize that having hands as big as his causes problems for free-throw shooting don't you? Shaq is a competitor and believe me, if he could do better at free throws, he would. It's not as if he's on some playground court dunking to impress the girls. Anyway, I just saw the replay of the fight and he should have been suspended for a lot longer. If he had connected (and he wanted to) he would have knocked Miller out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I still say Shaq should try shooting his free throws underhanded, Ã* la Rick Barry. He'll never do it, because it looks funny, but I bet he'd shoot better than 53%.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I understand that Shaq gets frustrated, but I feel no sympathy at all because he does it to people all day. That's his game, beating the hell out of people.

It's not like he's got finesse skills, I don't think he should be praised for keeping his composure any more than the defenders he massacres night-in and night-out.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    My guy BRAD MILLER!

old gold and black
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>If Shaq could hit his foul throws, then people wouldn't foul him so much.

They're free. No one is guarding you, and you can take all the time you want.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, that's not true. There is a time limit, and the ref is supposed to count it off. Karl Malone is notoriously slow, and announcers have mentioned that frequently in games I've watched.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Gregg ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 25
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    oops.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Gregg ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 25
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I agree Groverat. The only equitable solution to this problem is to fine Cuban $5,000,000 - then give Shaq five games. Or maybe make him shoot free throws to stave off a $5,000,000 fine of his own. Make 5 in a row, you only get the suspension...miss one and you get the suspension plus the fine.

Let me just finish by using the immortal words of Rich Eisen: Shaq-FU!

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 25
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I wish professional atheletes weren't such hotheads. There used to be a time when a player would get shunned for unlawful or impolite behavior. And this policy of throwing out foulmouthed or imrpoper players still exists in prep school sports. Not regular high school though. I've been in both, and the prep school coaches would never DREAM of testing us for drugs - there's an amount of trust and respect involved that I do not see in highschool sports.

And what about dumb lplayers? I say throw them out if they don't work hard enough to get a 2.5.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Remember when Kermit Washington threw that one punch at Rudy T, breaking his jaw and basically destroying Washington's legacy as an NBA player? Imagine if Shaq had connected squarely with one of those roundhouse punches. If Miller's jaw had been shattered on national TV, what do you think it would have done to the public's perception of Shaq as this cute, lovable giant?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If the punch had connected Shaq would have gotten 4 games instead of 3.

The NBA would spin this (and will spin this) to make sure people still think he's a loveable gentle giant. He makes them far too much money for them to act fairly in this situation.

Can you imagine if Allen Iverson had given someone a forearm to the face only to throw two punches later in the game while trying to choke the guy? I would be shocked if he wasn't banned for a year.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Iverson is gangsta and Shaq is whitebread.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Shaq sucks. He has no talent whatsoever. And the NBA is all about marketing, and is staged.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Don't get me started on his side kick Kobe either. That Italian mofo, I'd punk his sorry @$$!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    applenut, did you read Mike Lupica's article in the Daily News today because that's like what he said.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Iverson is gangsta and Shaq is whitebread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, don't be dissin the Shaq-Diesel masta! By the way , Iverson would likely get the same slap on the wrist. He sells lots of NBA product too - he's just sellin to da EAST SIDE, FOOO!

If Shaq had connected and broken the guy's jaw or something, he probably would've gotten a 20k fine and a couple extra games. Chump change for the Fu-Shnikens.

Every time these bastards commit a destable offense, it ought to be an autmotic 250k and 10 games, and Cuban ought to get an automatic 500k - maybe more. Unless it hurts the bank book, the fine is just another wrist-slapping. These guys make and invest so much money, giving them 5 figure fines is a joke. Like one of us getting a $10 parking ticket.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>applenut, did you read Mike Lupica's article in the Daily News today because that's like what he said.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just read it a couple of minutes ago. great minds think alike I guess